Networking XP and Vista

=?Utf-8?B?YXpzdDhtYmE=?=

Networking XP and Vista
I am currently running XP on both my laptop and desktop. Both computers are
networked together via an N-Draft router. I purchased the option to upgrade
to Vista from Dell when I ordered my laptop. Will this upgrade upset my
network if I am running XP on my desktop and Vista on my laptop? Will I lose
any functionality?
Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Networking XP and Vista
"azst8mba" <azst8mba@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am currently running XP on both my laptop and desktop. Both computers are
> networked together via an N-Draft router. I purchased the option to
> upgrade
> to Vista from Dell when I ordered my laptop. Will this upgrade upset my
> network if I am running XP on my desktop and Vista on my laptop? Will I
> lose
> any functionality?

No... I run a mixed Vista and XP test network with wired and wireless PCs...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

Nigel Freeney

Re: Networking XP and Vista
I'm pleased that you don't have a problem on your mixed network but I do and
microsoft have released a patch http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=922120
for the specific problem that XP PCs don't appear on the network maps. The
download installs the Link-Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder
component.

This initially worked on my network but now doesn't. I can see and connect
to the Vista laptop from my XP desktop PC and I can see the XP PC from the
Vista laptop on the Network map but it doesn't show in the actual network
itself so I can't access it.

As you have a working setup do you have any advice to offer?

Thanks,

Nigel
> "azst8mba" <azst8mba@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I am currently running XP on both my laptop and desktop. Both computers
>>are
>> networked together via an N-Draft router. I purchased the option to
>> upgrade
>> to Vista from Dell when I ordered my laptop. Will this upgrade upset my
>> network if I am running XP on my desktop and Vista on my laptop? Will I
>> lose
>> any functionality?

> No... I run a mixed Vista and XP test network with wired and wireless
> PCs...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> mutual benefit of all of us...
> rights...

Nigel Freeney

Re: Networking XP and Vista
The patch that I referred to in my last post is to enable XP pcs to show in
the network mapping feature rather than to correct any connection problems.

Following advice from further down I have now corrected my problem by power
cycling my Belkin PreN router. After powering the router back up the XP PC
is now visible and accessible - Sighs with relief!!

Hope this is somethig that helps here.

Nigel

"Nigel Freeney" <nigel.microsoft@freeney.co.uk> wrote in message
> I'm pleased that you don't have a problem on your mixed network but I do
> and microsoft have released a patch
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=922120 for the specific problem that XP
> PCs don't appear on the network maps. The download installs the Link-Layer
> Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder component.
>
> This initially worked on my network but now doesn't. I can see and connect
> to the Vista laptop from my XP desktop PC and I can see the XP PC from the
> Vista laptop on the Network map but it doesn't show in the actual network
> itself so I can't access it.
>
> As you have a working setup do you have any advice to offer?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nigel
> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> "azst8mba" <azst8mba@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I am currently running XP on both my laptop and desktop. Both computers
>>>are
>>> networked together via an N-Draft router. I purchased the option to
>>> upgrade
>>> to Vista from Dell when I ordered my laptop. Will this upgrade upset my
>>> network if I am running XP on my desktop and Vista on my laptop? Will I
>>> lose
>>> any functionality?

>> No... I run a mixed Vista and XP test network with wired and wireless
>> PCs...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>>
>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
>> mutual benefit of all of us...
>> rights...

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbCBTbWVsdHplcg==?=

Re: Networking XP and Vista

"Nigel Freeney" wrote:

> I'm pleased that you don't have a problem on your mixed network but I do and
> microsoft have released a patch http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=922120
> for the specific problem that XP PCs don't appear on the network maps. The
> download installs the Link-Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder
> component.
>
> This initially worked on my network but now doesn't. I can see and connect
> to the Vista laptop from my XP desktop PC and I can see the XP PC from the
> Vista laptop on the Network map but it doesn't show in the actual network
> itself so I can't access it.
>
> As you have a working setup do you have any advice to offer?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nigel
> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
> > "azst8mba" <azst8mba@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>I am currently running XP on both my laptop and desktop. Both computers
> >>are
> >> networked together via an N-Draft router. I purchased the option to
> >> upgrade
> >> to Vista from Dell when I ordered my laptop. Will this upgrade upset my
> >> network if I am running XP on my desktop and Vista on my laptop? Will I
> >> lose
> >> any functionality?

> > No... I run a mixed Vista and XP test network with wired and wireless
> > PCs...
> >
> > --
> >
> > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >
> > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
> > mutual benefit of all of us...
> > The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> > rights...

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbCBTbWVsdHplcg==?=

Re: Networking XP and Vista
I have downloaded the patch on my XP laptop but I still do not get any
evidence that the two computers recognize that the other exists. I am using a
linksys router and have followed the instructions for setting the network.
Pinging indicates that they do not know the other exists also.

HELP! smeltzer123@comcast.net