Network Addresses

marco

Network Addresses
Can anyone tell me why, if I type in \\192.168.1.1 (remote vpn) in an
address bar I can't find the computer but If I then add the computername in
a LMhosts file I can then type in \\computername and bring up a window? I
can access computers on the local network this way.

When I click the diagnose button I get the result shown in the jpg.

Just curious

marco

Re: Network Addresses
I forgot to add that even after adding the ipaddress in the LMHosts file I
still can't find a computer by typing in the IP address
And it looks like the jpg didn't make it through!
But it said basically my firewall was configured correctly and anyway even
if I turn the firewall off I have the same result.

"marco" <marcop@iinetdotnet.au> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me why, if I type in \\192.168.1.1 (remote vpn) in an
> address bar I can't find the computer but If I then add the computername
> in
> a LMhosts file I can then type in \\computername and bring up a window? I
> can access computers on the local network this way.
>
> When I click the diagnose button I get the result shown in the jpg.
>
> Just curious

=?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=

Re: Network Addresses
So what happens if you open a cmd window and type:
net view \\192.168.1.1
rather than using the address bar?

--PA

"marco" wrote:
> I forgot to add that even after adding the ipaddress in the LMHosts file I
> still can't find a computer by typing in the IP address
> And it looks like the jpg didn't make it through!
> But it said basically my firewall was configured correctly and anyway even
> if I turn the firewall off I have the same result.
>
> "marco" <marcop@iinetdotnet.au> wrote in message
> > Can anyone tell me why, if I type in \\192.168.1.1 (remote vpn) in an
> > address bar I can't find the computer but If I then add the computername
> > in
> > a LMhosts file I can then type in \\computername and bring up a window? I
> > can access computers on the local network this way.
> >
> > When I click the diagnose button I get the result shown in the jpg.
> >
> > Just curious

marco

Re: Network Addresses
Says "The Network path was not found" - although I'm backing up files there
as I speak! - err Type!

"Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
> So what happens if you open a cmd window and type:
> net view \\192.168.1.1
> rather than using the address bar?
>
> --PA
>

> "marco" wrote:
>> I forgot to add that even after adding the ipaddress in the LMHosts file
>> still can't find a computer by typing in the IP address
>> And it looks like the jpg didn't make it through!
>> But it said basically my firewall was configured correctly and anyway
>> even
>> if I turn the firewall off I have the same result.
>>
>> "marco" <marcop@iinetdotnet.au> wrote in message
>> > Can anyone tell me why, if I type in \\192.168.1.1 (remote vpn) in an
>> > address bar I can't find the computer but If I then add the
>> > computername
>> > in
>> > a LMhosts file I can then type in \\computername and bring up a window?
>> > can access computers on the local network this way.
>> >
>> > When I click the diagnose button I get the result shown in the jpg.
>> >
>> > Just curious

marco

Re: Network Addresses
System error 53