network setup vista

=?Utf-8?B?dmVsYW1pbnQ=?=

network setup vista
I need help setting up file sharing on my network. I realize that simple file
sharing is not an option and that I need to set up a username and password on
the computers I want to connect to. That's the problem. How do i do this?
User accounts and profiles? Or something else?
I am using Vista Ultimate RC2 and windows XP Pro dual booted on my main
machine
Windows XP Home set up to use wireless off my d link router
Mac OSX Panther set up wried on the router

I can see all of these systems on the network but cannot access any of them.
I have tried using the password and usernames for the user accounts on each
machine. So to re-itterate i just need step by step info on how to set up the
appropriate user names and passwords, and where to do so. Thanks in advance.
Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: network setup vista
"velamint" <velamint@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need help setting up file sharing on my network. I realize that simple
>file
> sharing is not an option and that I need to set up a username and password
> on
> the computers I want to connect to. That's the problem. How do i do this?
> User accounts and profiles? Or something else?
> I am using Vista Ultimate RC2 and windows XP Pro dual booted on my main
> machine
> Windows XP Home set up to use wireless off my d link router
> Mac OSX Panther set up wried on the router
>
> I can see all of these systems on the network but cannot access any of
> them.
> I have tried using the password and usernames for the user accounts on
> each
> machine. So to re-itterate i just need step by step info on how to set up
> the
> appropriate user names and passwords, and where to do so. Thanks in
> advance.

Have you looked at the Vista help pages. Here is the online version...

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...S/default.mspx

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...u=file+sharing

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...px?qu=accounts

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

=?Utf-8?B?dmVsYW1pbnQ=?=

Re: network setup vista
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately i've gone through all of those files
and then some. I just want to know if i have to have the same user accounts
for all machines. Honestly it's the mac i'm most concerned about. I would
like to be able to access my vista machine from the mac to retrieve some
rather large video files i cannot transfer via dvd or external hard drive
since FAT32 puts that block on anything larger than 4GB. I am a video editor
so this is not for any donwloads it's my raw footage i am trying to access.
What I need to know is how to get past the password prompt. I have differing
user names and passwords on both machines. I read a post on here about
changing this:
- Click Pearl
- Click Control Panel
- Click System and Maintenance
- Click Administrative Tools
- Double-Click Local Security Policy
- In the left pane, click the triangle next to Local Policy
- In the left pane, click Security Options
- In the right pane near the bottom, double-click "Network security: LAN
manager authentication level"
- Click the drop-down box, and click "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session
security if negotiated"
- Click OK

But is there anything else i need to configure? And do the usernames have to
match on all systems?

> Thanks for the response. Unfortunately i've gone through all of those
> files
> and then some. I just want to know if i have to have the same user
> accounts
> for all machines. Honestly it's the mac i'm most concerned about. I would
> like to be able to access my vista machine from the mac to retrieve some
> rather large video files i cannot transfer via dvd or external hard drive
> since FAT32 puts that block on anything larger than 4GB. I am a video
> editor
> so this is not for any donwloads it's my raw footage i am trying to
> access.
> What I need to know is how to get past the password prompt. I have
> differing
> user names and passwords on both machines. I read a post on here about
> changing this:
> - Click Pearl
> - Click Control Panel
> - Click System and Maintenance
> - Click Administrative Tools
> - Double-Click Local Security Policy
> - In the left pane, click the triangle next to Local Policy
> - In the left pane, click Security Options
> - In the right pane near the bottom, double-click "Network security: LAN
> manager authentication level"
> - Click the drop-down box, and click "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session
> security if negotiated"
> - Click OK
>
> But is there anything else i need to configure? And do the usernames have
> match on all systems?

Have you turned off password protected sharing on the Vista machine?
--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

=?Utf-8?B?dmVsYW1pbnQ=?=

Re: network setup vista
Yes I've shut it off on both systems just to try and get through but still
no. I get the prompt anyway.