Network Level Authentication

Sam

Network Level Authentication
Has anyone used the Network Level Authentication between Vista Ultimate and
XP?

I've checked the "Allow connections only from computers running Remote
Desktop with Network Level Authentication (more secure)" checkbox. I then
entered the users to connect. Both computers are in a workgroup environment.

I also downloaded the Remote Desktop client 6.0 for XP.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=925876

However, when I try to connect I get the following error:

Remote Desktop Disconnected
-The remote computer requires Network Level Authentication, which your
computer does not support. For assistance, system administrator or technical
support.

Any ideas?

Sam

Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Network Level Authentication
"Sam" <anonymous@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone used the Network Level Authentication between Vista Ultimate
> and XP?
>
> I've checked the "Allow connections only from computers running Remote
> Desktop with Network Level Authentication (more secure)" checkbox. I then
> entered the users to connect. Both computers are in a workgroup
> environment.
>
> I also downloaded the Remote Desktop client 6.0 for XP.
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=925876
>
> However, when I try to connect I get the following error:
>
> Remote Desktop Disconnected
> -The remote computer requires Network Level Authentication, which your
> computer does not support. For assistance, system administrator or
> technical support.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Sam

Sam,

I have the same question/issue and am trying to get an answer from MS. I was
under the impression the new XP RDP 6.0 client supported NLA but I now have
my doubts. As you may know Vista to Vista RDP works fine using NLA though...

On your XP box check to see if NLA is supported by the XP RDP 6.0 client.
See the "To see if your computer is running a version of Remote Desktop with
NLA"
section of the following page.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...76f9e1033.mspx

When I do that with my XP RDP 6.0 client test box I see this...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...tedMessage.JPG

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

Sam

Re: Network Level Authentication
Yes, I get that message too. Take a look at the your first link. It says,
"You can also download NLA as a service pack on computers running some
earlier versions of Windows.) ".

Probably a download later to get support.

Sam

> Yes, I get that message too. Take a look at the your first link. It says,
> "You can also download NLA as a service pack on computers running some
> earlier versions of Windows.) ".
>
> Probably a download later to get support.
>
> Sam

FWIW...

Here is the Terminal Services blog thread that discusses NLA to some extent.
You may find it interesting...

http://blogs.msdn.com/ts/archive/200...-released.aspx

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

=?Utf-8?B?TmVyZEJyaWNr?=

Re: Network Level Authentication
Anyone have new information on this? I sure would love to be able to remote
connect from XP Machine.

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> "Sam" <anonymous@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, I get that message too. Take a look at the your first link. It says,
> > "You can also download NLA as a service pack on computers running some
> > earlier versions of Windows.) ".
> >
> > Probably a download later to get support.
> >
> > Sam
> >

> FWIW...
>
> Here is the Terminal Services blog thread that discusses NLA to some extent.
> You may find it interesting...
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ts/archive/200...-released.aspx
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> mutual benefit of all of us...
> rights...

spectreshadow99

Re: Network Level Authentication

to be perfectly honest peeps, ms will only give you what they want you
to use, i have for sometime now been getting trouble even linking a full
home network of 1 amd pc, and 3 mobile types, 2 toshiba laptops, and 1
elonex web book, i can understand the web book not playing nice, but the
small l300 is on vista home basic, should still network, and the l350 is
also ultimate, yet they remote desktop and use public, in small stints a
special account will use the pc's account, but if you really want to
network xp and vista, use server 2003 as the terminal to connect, it
should work then.
:|

--
spectreshadow99