it takes about 5 minutes to see the other PCs on the network

Omnidata

it takes about 5 minutes to see the other PCs on the network
When I try to browse the net work (Domain) I only see my PC after about 2
minutes the UPnP devises appear then after about 5 minutes the other
PCs/servers appear... I can access any PCs instantly using a UNC path.

Does anybody know why it takes so long to populates the list?

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

RE: it takes about 5 minutes to see the other PCs on the network
Hello,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, I suspect the behavior is related to the Computer Browser.
The primary function of the browser service is to provide a list of
computers sharing resources in a client's domain along with a list of other
domain and workgroup names across the wide-area network (WAN). This list is
provided to clients that view network resources with Network Neighborhood
or the NET VIEW command.

The master browser is responsible for collecting host or server
announcements, which are sent as datagrams every 12 minutes by each server
on the network segment of the master browser. The master browser instructs
the potential browsers for each network segment to become backup browsers.
The backup browser on a given network segment provides a browse list to the
client computers located in the same segment.

For more information, please refer to the following articles:
188001: Description of the Microsoft Computer Browser Service
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188001/en-us

188305: Troubleshooting the Microsoft Computer Browser Service
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188305/en-us

288801: Slow Computer Browsing from Multihomed Clients
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/288801/en-us

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
| From: "Omnidata" <omnidata@newsgroup.nospam>
| Subject: it takes about 5 minutes to see the other PCs on the network
| Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 20:44:28 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
|
| When I try to browse the net work (Domain) I only see my PC after about 2
| minutes the UPnP devises appear then after about 5 minutes the other
| PCs/servers appear... I can access any PCs instantly using a UNC path.
|
| Does anybody know why it takes so long to populates the list?

Omnidata

Re: it takes about 5 minutes to see the other PCs on the network
I understand the concept of master browser... My question is why do I get
my browser populated instantly on XP PCs in the same segement and why does
the same operation takes about 5 minutes to resolve on Vista... And if I
close my browser window I have to wait another 5 minutes when I reopen it...

""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" <v-kzhao@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Thank you for using newsgroup!
>
> From your post, I suspect the behavior is related to the Computer Browser.
> The primary function of the browser service is to provide a list of
> computers sharing resources in a client's domain along with a list of
> other
> domain and workgroup names across the wide-area network (WAN). This list
> is
> provided to clients that view network resources with Network Neighborhood
> or the NET VIEW command.
>
> The master browser is responsible for collecting host or server
> announcements, which are sent as datagrams every 12 minutes by each server
> on the network segment of the master browser. The master browser instructs
> the potential browsers for each network segment to become backup browsers.
> The backup browser on a given network segment provides a browse list to
> the
> client computers located in the same segment.
>
> For more information, please refer to the following articles:
> 188001: Description of the Microsoft Computer Browser Service
>
> 188305: Troubleshooting the Microsoft Computer Browser Service
>
> 288801: Slow Computer Browsing from Multihomed Clients
>
> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Ken Zhao
>
> Microsoft Online Partner Support
>
> ================================================== ===
> ================================================== ===
> rights.
>

> --------------------
> | From: "Omnidata" <omnidata@newsgroup.nospam>
> | Subject: it takes about 5 minutes to see the other PCs on the network
> | Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 20:44:28 -0500
> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
> |
> | When I try to browse the net work (Domain) I only see my PC after about
> 2
> | minutes the UPnP devises appear then after about 5 minutes the other
> | PCs/servers appear... I can access any PCs instantly using a UNC path.
> |
> | Does anybody know why it takes so long to populates the list?

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Re: it takes about 5 minutes to see the other PCs on the network
It is hard to determine why Windows Vista is taking five minutes to resolve
the master browser. We suggest our customer use UNC to access other shared
resources on the network. That is quick way to find the shared resources.