Vista & Samba

Lazius

Vista & Samba
I have recently updated my Media Center to Vista and have a major problem
accessing my music collection which is hosted in a Linux (SMB2) box through
SMB.

I can access the shares after removing the default to NTLMv2, however, when
Media Player adds the music to library, at some point, the wireless
connection will just be disabled.

Same happens when listing folders of that server that contain many items or
are nested.

The event logs show loads of errors from Media Player and lots of info logs
in the system log stating that TCP/IP has resumed normal operation.

It's a major PITA and actually renders Vista completely useless for my MCE.

Has anyone experienced similar issues? Is there a way to get into some XP
compatibility mode as with XP, it worked perfectly?
=?Utf-8?B?SmF5IFRyZW50IHtNaWNyb3NvZnR9?=

RE: Vista & Samba
Is this still a problem? Can you provide some description of the Linux
setup, and what you mean by SMB2 on Linux?

Thanks,
Jay

"Lazius" wrote:

> I have recently updated my Media Center to Vista and have a major problem
> accessing my music collection which is hosted in a Linux (SMB2) box through
> SMB.
>
> I can access the shares after removing the default to NTLMv2, however, when
> Media Player adds the music to library, at some point, the wireless
> connection will just be disabled.
>
> Same happens when listing folders of that server that contain many items or
> are nested.
>
> The event logs show loads of errors from Media Player and lots of info logs
> in the system log stating that TCP/IP has resumed normal operation.
>
> It's a major PITA and actually renders Vista completely useless for my MCE.
>
> Has anyone experienced similar issues? Is there a way to get into some XP
> compatibility mode as with XP, it worked perfectly?

Malke

Re: Vista & Samba
Lazius wrote:
> I have recently updated my Media Center to Vista and have a major problem
> accessing my music collection which is hosted in a Linux (SMB2) box through
> SMB.
>
> I can access the shares after removing the default to NTLMv2, however, when
> Media Player adds the music to library, at some point, the wireless
> connection will just be disabled.
>
> Same happens when listing folders of that server that contain many items or
> are nested.
>
> The event logs show loads of errors from Media Player and lots of info logs
> in the system log stating that TCP/IP has resumed normal operation.
>
> It's a major PITA and actually renders Vista completely useless for my MCE.
>
> Has anyone experienced similar issues? Is there a way to get into some XP
> compatibility mode as with XP, it worked perfectly?

When you say "SMB2" is that the name of the box or are you running an
older version of Samba on it? Make sure you have the latest version of
Samba. Since the connection is made wirelessly, have you experienced any
other disconnects with the wireless? What is the wireless hardware, both
your adapter and the router?

There have been a lot of compatibility problems between Vista and Samba
reported in the newsgroups, but we should determine that this is really
the culprit and not something else like older Sam the wireless drivers, etc.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Michael A. Bishop \(MSFT\)

Re: Vista & Samba
Basically, the issue with Samba and Vista is that Vista no longer permits LM
or NTLM authentication by default; only NTLMv2. Samba versions 1.x and 2.x
only support LM and NTLM, so there's an issue there.

Recommended solution: upgrade to Samba 3.x and enable NTLMv2 by adding
"client ntlmv2 auth = yes" to your smb.conf file. Because of another issues
with previous versions, I strongly recommend upgrading to 3.0.22 or later
regardless of your choice for this particular instance.

Alternate solution, as Malke previously posted (copied below): Change
Vista's security settings to permit lower-security authentications.