Vista takes a long time from start to long in on SBS2003 network......

mlai

Vista takes a long time from start to long in on SBS2003 network......
I am using Vista x64 Ultimate RTM on a machine on a SBS2003SP1 network. The
Vista machine takes a long time from boot to showing Crtl-Alt-Del for login.
I checked the event logs and there are events 6005/6006 saying that the
gpclient took a long time to process the requests and taking over 80sec to
respond.

I searched the internet and kb articles but can't find anything. Can
anybody help please?

Kerry Brown

Re: Vista takes a long time from start to long in on SBS2003 network......
Is the Vista pc using the SBS server for DNS?

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"mlai" <mlai@community.nospam> wrote in message
>I am using Vista x64 Ultimate RTM on a machine on a SBS2003SP1 network.
>The Vista machine takes a long time from boot to showing Crtl-Alt-Del for
>login. I checked the event logs and there are events 6005/6006 saying that
>the gpclient took a long time to process the requests and taking over 80sec
>to respond.
>
> I searched the internet and kb articles but can't find anything. Can
> anybody help please?

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

RE: Vista takes a long time from start to long in on SBS2003 network......
Hi ,

Based on my experience, Event 6005 is logged at boot time noting that the
Event Log service was started. It gives the message "The Event log service
was started".
Event 6006 is logged as a clean shutdown. It gives the message "The Event
log service was stopped".

Woud you please paste the deatiled event here for research?

thanks.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others
may learn and benefit from this issue.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.

--------------------
>>From: "mlai" <mlai@community.nospam>
>>Subject: Vista takes a long time from start to long in on SBS2003

network......
>>Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 09:46:06 +0800

{E4FCE0A9-75B4-4168-BFF9-16C22D8747EC}
>>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing: 781

>>I am using Vista x64 Ultimate RTM on a machine on a SBS2003SP1 network.

The
>>Vista machine takes a long time from boot to showing Crtl-Alt-Del for

login.
>>I checked the event logs and there are events 6005/6006 saying that the
>>gpclient took a long time to process the requests and taking over 80sec

>>respond.
>>
>>I searched the internet and kb articles but can't find anything. Can
>>anybody help please?

mlai

Re: Vista takes a long time from start to long in on SBS2003 network......
Yes. The only DNS server on my home network. And the server is also the
DHCP server.
> Is the Vista pc using the SBS server for DNS?
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>

> "mlai" <mlai@community.nospam> wrote in message
>>I am using Vista x64 Ultimate RTM on a machine on a SBS2003SP1 network.
>>The Vista machine takes a long time from boot to showing Crtl-Alt-Del for
>>login. I checked the event logs and there are events 6005/6006 saying that
>>the gpclient took a long time to process the requests and taking over
>>80sec to respond.
>>
>> I searched the internet and kb articles but can't find anything. Can
>> anybody help please?

Karsten Jakobsen

Re: Vista takes a long time from start to long in on SBS2003 network......
Hi,

I'am expirencing a similar problem. The first time a new user logs on it
takes up to 5 minutes. The eventlog first logs a 6005 warning (from
Winlogon), saying "The winlogon notification subscriber <GPClient> is taking
long time to handle the notification event (Logon)". After a while a 6006
warning (from Winlogon) saying "The winlogon notification service <GPClient>
took xx second(s) to handle the notification event (Logon).
This "only" happens the first time the user logs on.

It seems like it has something to do with redirecting folders via policies.
If I try to disable the Folder Redirection for a user, then the logon time
is much better and there are no warnings in the eventlog.

Any suggestions is appreciated. ?

/Karsten
"Vincent Xu [MSFT]" <v-xuwen@online.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelelsen
> Hi ,
>
> Based on my experience, Event 6005 is logged at boot time noting that the
> Event Log service was started. It gives the message "The Event log service
> was started".
> Event 6006 is logged as a clean shutdown. It gives the message "The Event
> log service was stopped".
>
> Woud you please paste the deatiled event here for research?
>
> thanks.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Vincent Xu
> Microsoft Online Partner Support
>
> ================================================== ====
> ================================================== ====
> that others
> may learn and benefit from this issue.
> ================================================== ====
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.
> ================================================== ====
>

> --------------------
>>>From: "mlai" <mlai@community.nospam>
>>>Subject: Vista takes a long time from start to long in on SBS2003

> network......
>>>Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 09:46:06 +0800

> {E4FCE0A9-75B4-4168-BFF9-16C22D8747EC}
>>>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing

> microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing: 781
>>>
>>>I am using Vista x64 Ultimate RTM on a machine on a SBS2003SP1 network.

> The
>>>Vista machine takes a long time from boot to showing Crtl-Alt-Del for

> login.
>>>I checked the event logs and there are events 6005/6006 saying that the
>>>gpclient took a long time to process the requests and taking over 80sec

>>>respond.
>>>
>>>I searched the internet and kb articles but can't find anything. Can
>>>anybody help please?

mlai

Re: Vista takes a long time from start to long in on SBS2003 network......
My errors exactly. However, I don't have redirected folders..... (Yes I am
the administrator of my SBS2003 at home.....)
"Karsten Jakobsen" <karsten_jakobsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'am expirencing a similar problem. The first time a new user logs on it
> takes up to 5 minutes. The eventlog first logs a 6005 warning (from
> Winlogon), saying "The winlogon notification subscriber <GPClient> is
> taking long time to handle the notification event (Logon)". After a while
> a 6006 warning (from Winlogon) saying "The winlogon notification service
> <GPClient> took xx second(s) to handle the notification event (Logon).
> This "only" happens the first time the user logs on.
>
> It seems like it has something to do with redirecting folders via
> policies. If I try to disable the Folder Redirection for a user, then the
> logon time is much better and there are no warnings in the eventlog.
>
> Any suggestions is appreciated. ?
>
> /Karsten
> "Vincent Xu [MSFT]" <v-xuwen@online.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelelsen
>> Hi ,
>>
>> Based on my experience, Event 6005 is logged at boot time noting that
>> the
>> Event Log service was started. It gives the message "The Event log
>> service
>> was started".
>> Event 6006 is logged as a clean shutdown. It gives the message "The Event
>> log service was stopped".
>>
>> Woud you please paste the deatiled event here for research?
>>
>> thanks.
>>

>> Best regards,
>>
>> Vincent Xu
>> Microsoft Online Partner Support
>>
>> ================================================== ====
>> ================================================== ====
>> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
>> that others
>> may learn and benefit from this issue.
>> ================================================== ====
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no
>> rights.
>> ================================================== ====
>>

>> --------------------

>> network......

>> {E4FCE0A9-75B4-4168-BFF9-16C22D8747EC}

>> microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing: 781

>> The

>> login.

markm75

Re: Vista takes a long time from start to long in on SBS2003 network......

I too get this error in our domain..

The user cant reach the sysvol directory though .. which is a bad
thing, but can reach all other network drives.

It only happens on one x86 Vista machine, connected to the 2003 domain,
no redirected drives etc.

Any thoughts?

--
markm75
markm75's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=27277

http://forums.techarena.in

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Vista takes a long time from start to long in on SBS2003 network......
Any errors if using nslookup?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"markm75" <markm75.2swk3g@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message news:markm75.2swk3g@DoNotSpam.com...

I too get this error in our domain..

The user cant reach the sysvol directory though .. which is a bad
thing, but can reach all other network drives.

It only happens on one x86 Vista machine, connected to the 2003 domain,
no redirected drives etc.

Any thoughts?

--
markm75
markm75's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=27277
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=662871

http://forums.techarena.in

acrane

Re: Vista takes a long time from start to long in on SBS2003 network......

I think I might have a fix for this, it certainly sorted my issues out
with slow boot and also dealing with slow networking talking to any
domain resource.

A feature of the IP stack in Vista is the ability to auto tune to make
better use of high bandwidth networks. Windows Server 2003 support this
but I have been finding that it can get problematic in certain
circumstances. Needless to say that I managed to find one of them.

To disable this feature on the Vista Client, to see if it affects you,
run the following command as an administrator (you may need to turn UAC
off, or open NETSH with a right click and run as admin selected).

NETSH INTERFACE TCP GLOBAL set autotuninglevel=disabled

If it works, it will do so immediately, no reboot required. If it
doesn't you can turn it back on by the following command.

NETSH INTERFACE TCP GLOBAL set autotuninglevel=normal

There are some other levels if you wish to experiment; use a question
mark after SET in the line above to see all the options.

Hope that this sorts out your problems.

Alex

--
acrane
acrane's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=28104
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=662871

http://forums.techarena.in

VEKk

Re: Vista takes a long time from start to long in on SBS2003 network......

Thanx a lot, Alex. It works in my situations.
but correct set is
netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable

--
VEKk
VEKk's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=36521