Can't acces other computer

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9i?=

Can't acces other computer
I have two laptops running Vista Ultimate connected wireless to an
accesspoint/router. I created a folder on each and set te sharing permission
to full for everyone. In the Windows File Explorer both laptops show up as
nodes in the NetWork node. When I try to open the node for the other laptop
I get an "access denided" error. I went to the Network and Sharing Center on
both laptops and enabled averything in the Sharing and Discovery section, but
it did not help. Both laptops can access the internet and a printer that is
connected wireless. What else do I have to set up?
Eric Cross [MVP]

Re: Can't acces other computer
Hello Bob,

Windows Vista by default does not allow simple file sharing. Access to
shared folders requires a username and password on each computer. If
Password protected sharing is turned on, you need to create an identical
username and password for your two laptops.

For more information, please see:

Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

"Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have two laptops running Vista Ultimate connected wireless to an
> accesspoint/router. I created a folder on each and set te sharing
> permission
> to full for everyone. In the Windows File Explorer both laptops show up as
> nodes in the NetWork node. When I try to open the node for the other
> laptop
> I get an "access denided" error. I went to the Network and Sharing Center
> on
> both laptops and enabled averything in the Sharing and Discovery section,
> but
> it did not help. Both laptops can access the internet and a printer that
> is
> connected wireless. What else do I have to set up?

=?Utf-8?B?Um9k?=

Re: Can't acces other computer
Eric, thanks alot for your answer. I was looking to fix this for hours. You
saved me from pulling my hair out. Thanks!

"Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:

> Hello Bob,
>
> Windows Vista by default does not allow simple file sharing. Access to
> shared folders requires a username and password on each computer. If
> Password protected sharing is turned on, you need to create an identical
> username and password for your two laptops.
>
> For more information, please see:

> Eric Cross
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>

> "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have two laptops running Vista Ultimate connected wireless to an
> > accesspoint/router. I created a folder on each and set te sharing
> > permission
> > to full for everyone. In the Windows File Explorer both laptops show up as
> > nodes in the NetWork node. When I try to open the node for the other
> > laptop
> > I get an "access denided" error. I went to the Network and Sharing Center
> > on
> > both laptops and enabled averything in the Sharing and Discovery section,
> > but
> > it did not help. Both laptops can access the internet and a printer that
> > is
> > connected wireless. What else do I have to set up?

Eric Cross [MVP]

Re: Can't acces other computer
You're welcome Rod! I'm glad I was able to help you.

--

"Rod" <Rod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Eric, thanks alot for your answer. I was looking to fix this for hours.
> You
> saved me from pulling my hair out. Thanks!
>
> "Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Hello Bob,
>>
>> Windows Vista by default does not allow simple file sharing. Access to
>> shared folders requires a username and password on each computer. If
>> Password protected sharing is turned on, you need to create an identical
>> username and password for your two laptops.
>>
>> For more information, please see:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx
>>
>> --
>> Eric Cross
>> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>

>> "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have two laptops running Vista Ultimate connected wireless to an
>> > accesspoint/router. I created a folder on each and set te sharing
>> > permission
>> > to full for everyone. In the Windows File Explorer both laptops show up
>> > as
>> > nodes in the NetWork node. When I try to open the node for the other
>> > laptop
>> > I get an "access denided" error. I went to the Network and Sharing
>> > Center
>> > on
>> > both laptops and enabled averything in the Sharing and Discovery
>> > section,
>> > but
>> > it did not help. Both laptops can access the internet and a printer
>> > that
>> > is
>> > connected wireless. What else do I have to set up?

Gloria Boyer [MSFT]

Re: Can't acces other computer
Hi Bob. Make sure you have exactly the same user account and password on
both computers. Here's an article that explains the sharing process in
detail:

Thanks for posting!
Gloria

--