Mapped drives have Red X?

Michael Cecil

Mapped drives have Red X?
I had no problems with networking and sharing files, etc. Even this is
really a cosmetic annoyance. I've mapped a shared folder on my server
onto my Vista workstation using Windows Explorer.

When I rename it from "Shared (\\SERVER)" to just "SERVER" it displays a
red X on the little networked drive icon in explorer. It still works fine
however. I was just wondering if there was a way to rename it without
getting the incorrect red X.
Kerry Brown

Re: Mapped drives have Red X?
"Michael Cecil" <macecil@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I had no problems with networking and sharing files, etc. Even this is
> really a cosmetic annoyance. I've mapped a shared folder on my server
> onto my Vista workstation using Windows Explorer.
>
> When I rename it from "Shared (\\SERVER)" to just "SERVER" it displays a
> red X on the little networked drive icon in explorer. It still works fine
> however. I was just wondering if there was a way to rename it without
> getting the incorrect red X.

Are you on a wireless connection? Does the red X go away after you access
the mapped drive? On my notebook mapped drives have the red X. If I do
something that accesses the drive then the next time I look in Explorer the
red X has gone away. After a while it comes back. As it doesn't affect the
way things work I've always just ignored it. In my case I've always assumed
it has something to do with the wireless connection. My notebook goes
through two wireless connections to get to my server, one to the router,
then a wireless bridge to the server. On a workstation on the same switch as
the server I don't see this behavior. It would be interesting to find out
what is really going on.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Michael Cecil

Re: Mapped drives have Red X?
On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 07:29:23 -0800, "Kerry Brown"
<kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote:

>"Michael Cecil" <macecil@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I had no problems with networking and sharing files, etc. Even this is
>> really a cosmetic annoyance. I've mapped a shared folder on my server
>> onto my Vista workstation using Windows Explorer.
>>
>> When I rename it from "Shared (\\SERVER)" to just "SERVER" it displays a
>> red X on the little networked drive icon in explorer. It still works fine
>> however. I was just wondering if there was a way to rename it without
>> getting the incorrect red X.

>Are you on a wireless connection? Does the red X go away after you access
>the mapped drive? On my notebook mapped drives have the red X. If I do
>something that accesses the drive then the next time I look in Explorer the
>red X has gone away. After a while it comes back. As it doesn't affect the
>way things work I've always just ignored it. In my case I've always assumed
>it has something to do with the wireless connection. My notebook goes
>through two wireless connections to get to my server, one to the router,
>then a wireless bridge to the server. On a workstation on the same switch as
>the server I don't see this behavior. It would be interesting to find out
>what is really going on.

No, this machine wasn't using a wireless connection. I did notice that if
I add the // back to the drive name that it makes the X go away. Pretty
odd, eh?