How to control "Network Discovery" with Group Policies?

Robert Fischer

How to control "Network Discovery" with Group Policies?
Hello Admins

Does anybody know how to control the "Network Discovery" setting from "Network and Sharing Center" with Group Policies?
Thanks for your support in advance!
Best regards

Robert Fischer
Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: How to control "Network Discovery" with Group Policies?
"Robert Fischer" <robert.fischer@informatik.fh-nuernberg.de> wrote in message news:ej3w6dkNHHA.2140@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
Hello Admins

Does anybody know how to control the "Network Discovery" setting from "Network and Sharing Center" with Group Policies?
Thanks for your support in advance!
Best regards

Robert Fischer

You might look at this reference for possible help...

Good luck...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

Robert Fischer

Re: How to control "Network Discovery" with Group Policies?
Hello Mr. Jarvi

Thanks for your response!
I know this reference, it doesn´t help!
Best regards

Robert
"Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message news:4CA4D55A-B999-451D-85B4-ABB6C32161EF@microsoft.com...
"Robert Fischer" <robert.fischer@informatik.fh-nuernberg.de> wrote in message news:ej3w6dkNHHA.2140@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
Hello Admins

Does anybody know how to control the "Network Discovery" setting from "Network and Sharing Center" with Group Policies?
Thanks for your support in advance!
Best regards

Robert Fischer

You might look at this reference for possible help...

Good luck...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

Kerry Brown

Re: How to control "Network Discovery" with Group Policies?
In the spreadsheet you downloaded look at line 1596: Network\Link-Layer
Topology Discovery

This may be what you are looking for.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Robert Fischer" <robert.fischer@informatik.fh-nuernberg.de> wrote in
message news:OvaQ45kNHHA.3668@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
[...]

Hello Kerry

Thanks a lot :-)! This helps!
Best regards

Robert
Kerry Brown

Re: How to control "Network Discovery" with Group Policies?
You're welcome. I haven't had time to play with Vista group policy yet. Let
us know how it works out.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Robert Fischer" <robert.fischer@informatik.fh-nuernberg.de> wrote in
message news:%23cLNN%23nNHHA.1872@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
Hello Kerry

Thanks a lot :-)! This helps!
Best regards

Robert

Robert Fischer

Re: How to control "Network Discovery" with Group Policies?
Hi Kerry

Yep, it fits my needs :-)!
It´s an easy way to control "Network Discovery"!
But it doesn´t solve the main problem:
Windows Vista requires an open port 139 and NetBIOS enabled on the server to map a server share through a VPN connection - very poor for security!!!
But Microsoft is goin´ to fix that problem, they confirmed!
Best regards

Robert
Kerry Brown

Re: How to control "Network Discovery" with Group Policies?
I'll have to play with that. I have several customers who use VPNs from
remote offices to the head office server. That does sound like a bit of a
flaw.

Thanks for the update on the group policy issue.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Robert Fischer" <robert.fischer@informatik.fh-nuernberg.de> wrote in
message news:usH1QQCOHHA.4172@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
Hi Kerry

Yep, it fits my needs :-)!
It´s an easy way to control "Network Discovery"!
But it doesn´t solve the main problem:
Windows Vista requires an open port 139 and NetBIOS enabled on the server
to map a server share through a VPN connection - very poor for security!!!
But Microsoft is goin´ to fix that problem, they confirmed!
Best regards

Robert

Kerry Brown

Re: How to control "Network Discovery" with Group Policies?
I tested this with a VPN to a SBS 2003 server. I don't need port 139 open on
the router. Port 139 is normally open on a Windows server and shouldn't be a
problem on your internal network. Same for NETBIOS. I would be concerned if
139 had to be open on the public facing IP but I don't see this.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User