Unable to join an AD domain from Vista

Oriane

Unable to join an AD domain from Vista
Hi,

I intend to join a AD domain from a Vista Pro computer, currently in a
workgroup. Once I've filled in the account/password credentials dialog box
with a system account, I can see a pop up window with this error message:

"The following error has occured when trying to join the "yris" domain:
network path not found."

I can't see anything else in the event log...

Any hint

Oriane

Mathieu CHATEAU

Re: Unable to join an AD domain from Vista
Hello,

Some things to check/do:

-The Vista must have a DC as primary DNS
-You would use the FQDN of the domain to join, like mycompany.com
-The time difference between vista & domain must be < 5 mn

--
Cordialement,
Mathieu CHATEAU

"Oriane" <oriane@guermantes.fr> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I intend to join a AD domain from a Vista Pro computer, currently in a
> workgroup. Once I've filled in the account/password credentials dialog
> box with a system account, I can see a pop up window with this error
> message:
>
> "The following error has occured when trying to join the "yris" domain:
> network path not found."
>
> I can't see anything else in the event log...
>
> Any hint
>
> Oriane

Austin Osuide

Re: Unable to join an AD domain from Vista
Also ensure that "Network Discovery" and "File Sharing" are enabled for that
network in the Vista Network and Sharing Centre".

Regards,

Austin

"Mathieu CHATEAU" <gollum123@free.fr> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Some things to check/do:
>
> -The Vista must have a DC as primary DNS
> -You would use the FQDN of the domain to join, like mycompany.com
> -The time difference between vista & domain must be < 5 mn
>

> --
> Cordialement,
> Mathieu CHATEAU
> English blog: http://lordoftheping.blogspot.com
> French blog: http://www.lotp.fr
>

> "Oriane" <oriane@guermantes.fr> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I intend to join a AD domain from a Vista Pro computer, currently in a
>> workgroup. Once I've filled in the account/password credentials dialog
>> box with a system account, I can see a pop up window with this error
>> message:
>>
>> "The following error has occured when trying to join the "yris" domain:
>> network path not found."
>>
>> I can't see anything else in the event log...
>>
>> Any hint
>>
>> Oriane

Alan C

Re: Unable to join an AD domain from Vista
I had the same problem, but solved it by using FQDN in the domain box -
sbserver.mydomain.local

Also, because MS have changed network components in Vista you will not see
the server in the network list and may have problems mapped shares to the
server.

"Oriane" <oriane@guermantes.fr> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I intend to join a AD domain from a Vista Pro computer, currently in a
> workgroup. Once I've filled in the account/password credentials dialog
> box with a system account, I can see a pop up window with this error
> message:
>
> "The following error has occured when trying to join the "yris" domain:
> network path not found."
>
> I can't see anything else in the event log...
>
> Any hint
>
> Oriane

Oriane

Re: Unable to join an AD domain from Vista
Thank you all of you.
I set the DNS to the AD DNS, and it's ok now !

Oriane
Mathieu CHATEAU

Re: Unable to join an AD domain from Vista
Great

--

> Thank you all of you.
> I set the DNS to the AD DNS, and it's ok now !
>
> Oriane

xflash08

Re: Unable to join an AD domain from Vista

Hey there everyone!,

I'm sorry but could you specify what do you mean exactly with "I set
the DNS to the AD DNS, and it's ok now!"?? I'm having the same problem
and I don't know how to set the DNS to the AD DNS, could someone explain
it in detail? like a "step by step"?

Thanks!.

--
xflash08
Malke

xflash08 wrote:

> Hey there everyone!,
>
> I'm sorry but could you specify what do you mean exactly with "I set
> the DNS to the AD DNS, and it's ok now!"?? I'm having the same problem
> and I don't know how to set the DNS to the AD DNS, could someone explain
> it in detail? like a "step by step"?

Unfortunately, those of us who could help you have no idea to what you're
referring because you are not posting on a real forum as you think you are
and you didn't quote any of the thread to which you are replying. I'll give
you suggestions for accessing Usenet in a better way at the end of this
post.

In the meantime, DNS in a domain should be:

1. The server looks to itself for DNS with forward/reverse lookup zones set
to provide Internet access.

2. Workstations only look to the server for DNS.

If you don't understand how to set up your server, have a local computer
tech come on-site so it is done correctly. A very useful website for server
setup is http://www.petri.co.il/forums/index.php

As for your Usenet posting:

You are using a web interface that leeches Usenet posts and most of the rest
of us are using real newsreaders. We don't see what you do. If you want to
participate in Usenet, the better way is to set up a newsreader. This is
very easy to do and I'll give you information about that below. If you
prefer to use a forum, then here are two excellent ones:

http://forum.aumha.org/index.php
http://http://computerhaven.info/

Since you are using a web interface, you may not realize that this is really
a newsgroup. You will get far more out of this resource if you learn to use
a newsreader. There are many good newsreaders for Windows, but you can use
Outlook Express (XP) or Windows Mail (Vista) since you already have it. Here
are some links to information about newsgroups:

About Usenet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/ - Usenet FAQs from the Internet FAQ Archives
http://www.usenetmonster.com/infocenter/
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Usenet - a brief explanation
of newsgroups

Outlook Express/Windows Mail as Newsreader:
http://michaelstevenstech.com/outloo...snewreader.htm
http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/accessi...ndows_mail.htm

How to Post:
http://users.tpg.com.au/bzyhjr/liszt.htm - How Not to Get Technical Help on
Usenet

microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is working
properly
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/munad.htm - how to munge email address
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossposting - crossposting
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting

Other Newsreaders for Windows:
http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php - Forte
http://www.mozilla.org - Thunderbird

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Unable to join an AD domain from Vista
First, make sure the DC is setup as DNS server. The on each workstation,
make sure TCP/IP is setup to point DC IP as DNS.

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"xflash08" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hey there everyone!,
>
> I'm sorry but could you specify what do you mean exactly with "I set
> the DNS to the AD DNS, and it's ok now!"?? I'm having the same problem
> and I don't know how to set the DNS to the AD DNS, could someone explain
> it in detail? like a "step by step"?
>
> Thanks!.
>

> --
> xflash08

Tom Lake

"Bob Lin (MS-MVP)" <noreply@chicagotech.net> wrote in message
> First, make sure the DC is setup as DNS server. The on each workstation,
> make sure TCP/IP is setup to point DC IP as DNS.

Or have the DC also be the DHCP server and have it hand out its own
address as DNS. Then have each workstation get its IP and DNS info
from there. When we first installed a Verizon T-1 line, Verizon
advised us to use their server for DNS. Forget that! I used ours.

Tom Lake