Cannot join Vista to Windows 2003 domain

=?Utf-8?B?RGlnZ2Vycw==?=

Cannot join Vista to Windows 2003 domain
Hello,

when I try and join to the 2003 domain I get the following error

"An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DC in the domain being joined has
failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that
can resolve DNS names in the target domain"

I have tried disabling IPv6 and restarting connection ,no joy, enable WINS
on server, WINS and NetBios name lookup on client and temporarily bring down
firewall on both client/server, no joy.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Stu H

Re: Cannot join Vista to Windows 2003 domain
Do you have more than one network adapter showing up? If so, try disabling
all but the actual one connected to your LAN.

Stu

"Diggers" <Diggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> when I try and join to the 2003 domain I get the following error
>
> "An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DC in the domain being joined has
> failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that
> can resolve DNS names in the target domain"
>
> I have tried disabling IPv6 and restarting connection ,no joy, enable WINS
> on server, WINS and NetBios name lookup on client and temporarily bring
> down
> firewall on both client/server, no joy.
>

> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks

Kerry Brown

Re: Cannot join Vista to Windows 2003 domain
Is the Vista client configured to use a AD DNS server and no others?

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Diggers" <Diggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> when I try and join to the 2003 domain I get the following error
>
> "An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DC in the domain being joined has
> failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that
> can resolve DNS names in the target domain"
>
> I have tried disabling IPv6 and restarting connection ,no joy, enable WINS
> on server, WINS and NetBios name lookup on client and temporarily bring
> down
> firewall on both client/server, no joy.
>

> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?U3R1YXJ0IFtNVlBd?=

RE: Cannot join Vista to Windows 2003 domain
Ok, here's a dumb question. What flavor of Vista are you using here? I
presume it's one that's eligible to join a domain (Business, Enterprise or
Ultimate)?

Stuart.
--------

"Diggers" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> when I try and join to the 2003 domain I get the following error
>
> "An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DC in the domain being joined has
> failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that
> can resolve DNS names in the target domain"
>
> I have tried disabling IPv6 and restarting connection ,no joy, enable WINS
> on server, WINS and NetBios name lookup on client and temporarily bring down
> firewall on both client/server, no joy.
>

> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?Y3Jpc3BvbmlvbnM=?=

RE: Cannot join Vista to Windows 2003 domain
Another dumb question. The PC is pointing to the right DNS server? E.g. if
the DNS service is running on the DC, you have the DC's ip address listed as
your DNS server.

"Stuart [MVP]" wrote:

> Ok, here's a dumb question. What flavor of Vista are you using here? I
> presume it's one that's eligible to join a domain (Business, Enterprise or
> Ultimate)?
>
> Stuart.
> --------
>
> "Diggers" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > when I try and join to the 2003 domain I get the following error
> >
> > "An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DC in the domain being joined has
> > failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that
> > can resolve DNS names in the target domain"
> >
> > I have tried disabling IPv6 and restarting connection ,no joy, enable WINS
> > on server, WINS and NetBios name lookup on client and temporarily bring down
> > firewall on both client/server, no joy.
> >

> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?SGFuaw==?=

RE: Cannot join Vista to Windows 2003 domain
I have the same problem.

My Vista version is Vista Business and my server is running 2003 Standard.

DNS is not running on the server.

I am able to connect to the server from an XP Pro PC without any problems.

I have disabled IP6 and am using only one network connection.

Your help or thoughts would be appreciated!

"Stuart [MVP]" wrote:

> Ok, here's a dumb question. What flavor of Vista are you using here? I
> presume it's one that's eligible to join a domain (Business, Enterprise or
> Ultimate)?
>
> Stuart.
> --------
>
> "Diggers" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > when I try and join to the 2003 domain I get the following error
> >
> > "An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DC in the domain being joined has
> > failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that
> > can resolve DNS names in the target domain"
> >
> > I have tried disabling IPv6 and restarting connection ,no joy, enable WINS
> > on server, WINS and NetBios name lookup on client and temporarily bring down
> > firewall on both client/server, no joy.
> >

> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks

Kerry Brown

Re: Cannot join Vista to Windows 2003 domain
Is the server a domain controller? Are you using Active Directory? If yes
then the server must be a DNS server or you will have no end of problems.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Hank" <Hank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the same problem.
>
> My Vista version is Vista Business and my server is running 2003 Standard.
>
> DNS is not running on the server.
>
> I am able to connect to the server from an XP Pro PC without any problems.
>
> I have disabled IP6 and am using only one network connection.
>
> Your help or thoughts would be appreciated!
>
> "Stuart [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Ok, here's a dumb question. What flavor of Vista are you using here? I
>> presume it's one that's eligible to join a domain (Business, Enterprise
>> or
>> Ultimate)?
>>
>> Stuart.
>> --------
>>
>> "Diggers" wrote:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > when I try and join to the 2003 domain I get the following error
>> >
>> > "An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DC in the domain being joined
>> > has
>> > failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server
>> > that
>> > can resolve DNS names in the target domain"
>> >
>> > I have tried disabling IPv6 and restarting connection ,no joy, enable
>> > WINS
>> > on server, WINS and NetBios name lookup on client and temporarily bring
>> > down
>> > firewall on both client/server, no joy.
>> >

>> > Any ideas?
>> >
>> > Thanks

Azuziel

Re: Cannot join Vista to Windows 2003 domain

I had exactly the same problem. Go to the properties of network adapter
on client, choose ipv4 properties, add the internal addie of the DC to
the DNS and WINS server fields, located in advanced properties.

run "nslookup domainname" from client to be sure it resolves.

HTH,

Az

--
Azuziel
Azuziel's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=35678

http://forums.techarena.in

Acheliz

Re: Cannot join Vista to Windows 2003 domain

Still the problem is not solved..........also please tell me whether
the DC is same as DNS ip address.
If no then how to identify the DC.

--
Acheliz
Acheliz's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/106794.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Kinsey

Re: Cannot join Vista to Windows 2003 domain
Your DC is your Domain Controller. Your Domain Name System (DNS) is the name
resolution protocol for TCP/IP networks, such as the Internet. Client
computers query a DNS server to resolve memorable, alphanumeric DNS names to
the IP addresses that computers use to communicate with each other.

Unless you set up your domain controller to also act as your DNS, then no,
these two are *not* the same thing. The are connected, but usually not the
same thing.

The registry location below is the best place to find the DNS name of a
domain controller.
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Gro up Policy\History.

In the right pane, you will see an entry with DCName=

The above entry will contain the DNS name of the domain. This DNS name of
domain is stored in registry key after Winlogon retrieves the Domain
controller by using the DcGetDCName API call.

Hope that helps.