Cannot See or Access Vista from XP Pro

=?Utf-8?B?UmFuZHkgRWlzbmVy?=

Cannot See or Access Vista from XP Pro
I have a Vista Ultimate RTM machine on my Home workgroup.

I need to access the shared printer on it from my Work laptop, which is on
the same subnet, but is also part of my corporate domain.

I have tried accessing the Vista machine via name and IP.
I have turned on Printer Sharing in Vista

Typically I use Remote Desktop from my desktop to my laptop for work. This
works, however the printer redirection causes errors on the laptop (Event
ID:1111 Source:TermServDevices - can't find correct driver)

Because of the networking problems, I can't manually add the shared printer
either.

I have added LLTM to the XP machine.
I still cannot see it on my network MAP.

I have enabled NetBIOS via TCP/IP on the Vista PC.

I dont know what else to try. Any help would be appreciated.
=?Utf-8?B?amltbXVo?=

RE: Cannot See or Access Vista from XP Pro
I'm not sure from your description which sharing model you are using. Vista
has kind of an odd, but logical, slant on sharing. You can use the XP method
which makes use of the guest account (even though it's turned off) as the
template. When you share the public folders in this manner then ANYONE with
network access can have access to all files in the public share on the Vista
machine. When you use the password-protected method you need to have
same-named user accounts using the same passwords on your WinXP and Vista
machines. Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know, but I wasn't
sure from your description just how you were going about this. Anyway, Vista
should be telling you in the setup dialogs for sharing whether or not your
sharing is password protected. That might be the key to figuring this out.

Troubleshooting something like this via form messaging can be a real headache.

"Randy Eisner" wrote:

> I have a Vista Ultimate RTM machine on my Home workgroup.
>
> I need to access the shared printer on it from my Work laptop, which is on
> the same subnet, but is also part of my corporate domain.
>
> I have tried accessing the Vista machine via name and IP.
> I have turned on Printer Sharing in Vista
>
> Typically I use Remote Desktop from my desktop to my laptop for work. This
> works, however the printer redirection causes errors on the laptop (Event
> ID:1111 Source:TermServDevices - can't find correct driver)
>
> Because of the networking problems, I can't manually add the shared printer
> either.
>
> I have added LLTM to the XP machine.
> I still cannot see it on my network MAP.
>
> I have enabled NetBIOS via TCP/IP on the Vista PC.
>
> I dont know what else to try. Any help would be appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?UmFuZHkgRWlzbmVy?=

RE: Cannot See or Access Vista from XP Pro
jimmuh,

I have actually tried using both sharing with and without password
protection. However, I have not activiated my Vista Guest account, and I do
not have users with the same names on both machines.

I guess, I was expecting to be prompted for credentials for the Vista
machine, at which time I'd enter the User/Password for my vista admin account.

The first issue I need to overcome, I think, is that I can't see the Vista
machine over the network from the XP machine (browsing to \\VISTAMACHINE
doesn't work)

The overall issue is that I need to get printer to share (I'm not as
concerned about file sharing yet, though I think that they will both work or
not for the same reasons)

Thanks for the reply, and I am still hoping to get this figured out.

Randy

"jimmuh" wrote:

> I'm not sure from your description which sharing model you are using. Vista
> has kind of an odd, but logical, slant on sharing. You can use the XP method
> which makes use of the guest account (even though it's turned off) as the
> template. When you share the public folders in this manner then ANYONE with
> network access can have access to all files in the public share on the Vista
> machine. When you use the password-protected method you need to have
> same-named user accounts using the same passwords on your WinXP and Vista
> machines. Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know, but I wasn't
> sure from your description just how you were going about this. Anyway, Vista
> should be telling you in the setup dialogs for sharing whether or not your
> sharing is password protected. That might be the key to figuring this out.
>
> Troubleshooting something like this via form messaging can be a real headache.
>
> "Randy Eisner" wrote:
>
> > I have a Vista Ultimate RTM machine on my Home workgroup.
> >
> > I need to access the shared printer on it from my Work laptop, which is on
> > the same subnet, but is also part of my corporate domain.
> >
> > I have tried accessing the Vista machine via name and IP.
> > I have turned on Printer Sharing in Vista
> >
> > Typically I use Remote Desktop from my desktop to my laptop for work. This
> > works, however the printer redirection causes errors on the laptop (Event
> > ID:1111 Source:TermServDevices - can't find correct driver)
> >
> > Because of the networking problems, I can't manually add the shared printer
> > either.
> >
> > I have added LLTM to the XP machine.
> > I still cannot see it on my network MAP.
> >
> > I have enabled NetBIOS via TCP/IP on the Vista PC.
> >
> > I dont know what else to try. Any help would be appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?amltbXVo?=

RE: Cannot See or Access Vista from XP Pro
Hi, Randy.

If you go into the Network and Sharing Center on the Vista machine what do
you show under the six categories under Sharing and Discovery? (On, Off, On
(password required), etc.) Also, do you have simple file sharing enabled on
the WinXP system, or is that disabled?

"Randy Eisner" wrote:

> jimmuh,
>
> I have actually tried using both sharing with and without password
> protection. However, I have not activiated my Vista Guest account, and I do
> not have users with the same names on both machines.
>
> I guess, I was expecting to be prompted for credentials for the Vista
> machine, at which time I'd enter the User/Password for my vista admin account.
>
> The first issue I need to overcome, I think, is that I can't see the Vista
> machine over the network from the XP machine (browsing to \\VISTAMACHINE
> doesn't work)
>
> The overall issue is that I need to get printer to share (I'm not as
> concerned about file sharing yet, though I think that they will both work or
> not for the same reasons)
>
> Thanks for the reply, and I am still hoping to get this figured out.
>
> Randy
>

> "jimmuh" wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure from your description which sharing model you are using. Vista
> > has kind of an odd, but logical, slant on sharing. You can use the XP method
> > which makes use of the guest account (even though it's turned off) as the
> > template. When you share the public folders in this manner then ANYONE with
> > network access can have access to all files in the public share on the Vista
> > machine. When you use the password-protected method you need to have
> > same-named user accounts using the same passwords on your WinXP and Vista
> > machines. Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know, but I wasn't
> > sure from your description just how you were going about this. Anyway, Vista
> > should be telling you in the setup dialogs for sharing whether or not your
> > sharing is password protected. That might be the key to figuring this out.
> >
> > Troubleshooting something like this via form messaging can be a real headache.
> >
> > "Randy Eisner" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a Vista Ultimate RTM machine on my Home workgroup.
> > >
> > > I need to access the shared printer on it from my Work laptop, which is on
> > > the same subnet, but is also part of my corporate domain.
> > >
> > > I have tried accessing the Vista machine via name and IP.
> > > I have turned on Printer Sharing in Vista
> > >
> > > Typically I use Remote Desktop from my desktop to my laptop for work. This
> > > works, however the printer redirection causes errors on the laptop (Event
> > > ID:1111 Source:TermServDevices - can't find correct driver)
> > >
> > > Because of the networking problems, I can't manually add the shared printer
> > > either.
> > >
> > > I have added LLTM to the XP machine.
> > > I still cannot see it on my network MAP.
> > >
> > > I have enabled NetBIOS via TCP/IP on the Vista PC.
> > >
> > > I dont know what else to try. Any help would be appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?QnJhbmRvbg==?=

RE: Cannot See or Access Vista from XP Pro
I had a problem similar to this, however it didnt involve a domain. I could
not for the life of me get vista to show my other machines. Here is what I
suggest.

1. If you have multiple XP computers
1. Are they on the same subnet
2. Can they ping each other
3. Can they see each other in network neighborhood.
4. Can the xp machines connect to one another via UNC i.e.
\\computername\C$

2. Can vista
1. See any other computers
2. Make sure vista is on the same Domain or Workgroup as the other
machines. Vista defaults to the "workgroup" workgroup
3. Can vista ping the other machines
4. Can vista see the machines in network neighborhood.
5. Can the xp machines connect to one another via UNC i.e.
\\computername\C$

for my problem I could say yes to everything but seeing the other computers
in the network neighborhood. I recently just set my router (netgear) back to
factory defaults and waaalaaaa all of a sudden all my computers showed up in
network neighborhood.

"jimmuh" wrote:

> Hi, Randy.
>
> If you go into the Network and Sharing Center on the Vista machine what do
> you show under the six categories under Sharing and Discovery? (On, Off, On
> (password required), etc.) Also, do you have simple file sharing enabled on
> the WinXP system, or is that disabled?
>
> "Randy Eisner" wrote:
>
> > jimmuh,
> >
> > I have actually tried using both sharing with and without password
> > protection. However, I have not activiated my Vista Guest account, and I do
> > not have users with the same names on both machines.
> >
> > I guess, I was expecting to be prompted for credentials for the Vista
> > machine, at which time I'd enter the User/Password for my vista admin account.
> >
> > The first issue I need to overcome, I think, is that I can't see the Vista
> > machine over the network from the XP machine (browsing to \\VISTAMACHINE
> > doesn't work)
> >
> > The overall issue is that I need to get printer to share (I'm not as
> > concerned about file sharing yet, though I think that they will both work or
> > not for the same reasons)
> >
> > Thanks for the reply, and I am still hoping to get this figured out.
> >
> > Randy
> >

> > "jimmuh" wrote:
> >
> > > I'm not sure from your description which sharing model you are using. Vista
> > > has kind of an odd, but logical, slant on sharing. You can use the XP method
> > > which makes use of the guest account (even though it's turned off) as the
> > > template. When you share the public folders in this manner then ANYONE with
> > > network access can have access to all files in the public share on the Vista
> > > machine. When you use the password-protected method you need to have
> > > same-named user accounts using the same passwords on your WinXP and Vista
> > > machines. Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know, but I wasn't
> > > sure from your description just how you were going about this. Anyway, Vista
> > > should be telling you in the setup dialogs for sharing whether or not your
> > > sharing is password protected. That might be the key to figuring this out.
> > >
> > > Troubleshooting something like this via form messaging can be a real headache.

=?Utf-8?B?UmFuZHkgRWlzbmVy?=

RE: Cannot See or Access Vista from XP Pro
jimmuh

As of right now, my Network & Sharing Settings are All on Except for Media
Sharing.
Public Folder Sharing is Read Only, Requires Password, and Printer Sharing
is Requiring Password.

I have tried several varaition of these settings with the same result
(Password Required on or off, Public Folder Sharing On or Off.

Simple File sharing on XP is disabled because its part of my corporate
Domain, not a workgroup.

"jimmuh" wrote:

> Hi, Randy.
>
> If you go into the Network and Sharing Center on the Vista machine what do
> you show under the six categories under Sharing and Discovery? (On, Off, On
> (password required), etc.) Also, do you have simple file sharing enabled on
> the WinXP system, or is that disabled?
>
> "Randy Eisner" wrote:
>
> > jimmuh,
> >
> > I have actually tried using both sharing with and without password
> > protection. However, I have not activiated my Vista Guest account, and I do
> > not have users with the same names on both machines.
> >
> > I guess, I was expecting to be prompted for credentials for the Vista
> > machine, at which time I'd enter the User/Password for my vista admin account.
> >
> > The first issue I need to overcome, I think, is that I can't see the Vista
> > machine over the network from the XP machine (browsing to \\VISTAMACHINE
> > doesn't work)
> >
> > The overall issue is that I need to get printer to share (I'm not as
> > concerned about file sharing yet, though I think that they will both work or
> > not for the same reasons)
> >
> > Thanks for the reply, and I am still hoping to get this figured out.
> >
> > Randy
> >

> > "jimmuh" wrote:
> >
> > > I'm not sure from your description which sharing model you are using. Vista
> > > has kind of an odd, but logical, slant on sharing. You can use the XP method
> > > which makes use of the guest account (even though it's turned off) as the
> > > template. When you share the public folders in this manner then ANYONE with
> > > network access can have access to all files in the public share on the Vista
> > > machine. When you use the password-protected method you need to have
> > > same-named user accounts using the same passwords on your WinXP and Vista
> > > machines. Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know, but I wasn't
> > > sure from your description just how you were going about this. Anyway, Vista
> > > should be telling you in the setup dialogs for sharing whether or not your
> > > sharing is password protected. That might be the key to figuring this out.
> > >
> > > Troubleshooting something like this via form messaging can be a real headache.

=?Utf-8?B?UmFuZHkgRWlzbmVy?=

RE: Cannot See or Access Vista from XP Pro
Brandon,

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm not sure they apply. Here is why:
1) Vista and XP are on the same subnet. (Same Router)
2) Vista and XP are NOT on same domain. (Vista is home workgroup, XP is
corporate domain.)
3) XP cannot ping Vista, Vista CAN ping XP
4) XP cannot see my home workgroup in Network Places, Vista cannot see work
domain in Network Map.

I am using a Linksys Router, and I am hesitant to reset to defaults because
of the amount of time I have spent getting it how I like it with port
forwarding, etc.

Unfortunatly because of the nature of both PCs I cannot make changes to the
Domain/Workgroup status. (I can't add my home pc to my corporate network,
and it would counter productive to add my work pc to my home workgroup - I'd
lose access to corporate network resources)

However, if you can think of anythihng that might help my situation, let me
know.

Randy

"Brandon" wrote:

> I had a problem similar to this, however it didnt involve a domain. I could
> not for the life of me get vista to show my other machines. Here is what I
> suggest.
>
> 1. If you have multiple XP computers
> 1. Are they on the same subnet
> 2. Can they ping each other
> 3. Can they see each other in network neighborhood.
> 4. Can the xp machines connect to one another via UNC i.e.
> \\computername\C$
>
> 2. Can vista
> 1. See any other computers
> 2. Make sure vista is on the same Domain or Workgroup as the other
> machines. Vista defaults to the "workgroup" workgroup
> 3. Can vista ping the other machines
> 4. Can vista see the machines in network neighborhood.
> 5. Can the xp machines connect to one another via UNC i.e.
> \\computername\C$
>
> for my problem I could say yes to everything but seeing the other computers
> in the network neighborhood. I recently just set my router (netgear) back to
> factory defaults and waaalaaaa all of a sudden all my computers showed up in
> network neighborhood.
>
> "jimmuh" wrote:
>
> > Hi, Randy.
> >
> > If you go into the Network and Sharing Center on the Vista machine what do
> > you show under the six categories under Sharing and Discovery? (On, Off, On
> > (password required), etc.) Also, do you have simple file sharing enabled on
> > the WinXP system, or is that disabled?
> >
> > "Randy Eisner" wrote:
> >
> > > jimmuh,
> > >
> > > I have actually tried using both sharing with and without password
> > > protection. However, I have not activiated my Vista Guest account, and I do
> > > not have users with the same names on both machines.
> > >
> > > I guess, I was expecting to be prompted for credentials for the Vista
> > > machine, at which time I'd enter the User/Password for my vista admin account.
> > >
> > > The first issue I need to overcome, I think, is that I can't see the Vista
> > > machine over the network from the XP machine (browsing to \\VISTAMACHINE
> > > doesn't work)
> > >
> > > The overall issue is that I need to get printer to share (I'm not as
> > > concerned about file sharing yet, though I think that they will both work or
> > > not for the same reasons)
> > >
> > > Thanks for the reply, and I am still hoping to get this figured out.
> > >
> > > Randy

=?Utf-8?B?amltbXVo?=

RE: Cannot See or Access Vista from XP Pro
Okay. I guess I see our problem then. The thing is, with simple file sharing
turned off on the WinXP machine it might not be allowed to gain access to
public (non-password-protected) shares on the Vista machine. I'm not
absolutely sure of that because that's kind of a weird situation, and I've
never set it up and tried it. But it should be able to see password-protected
shares on the Vista machine but only -- and here's the catch -- if you have a
user profile with same name and password on the WinXP system as the profile
on the Vista machine which has access to the files you want to share. (An
admin account would have access just about everywhere.)

There are other things in your description that leave me wanting a bit more
information. You said that the WinXP machine and Vista machine are on the
same subnet (same router), but are they CONFIGURED to be on the same subnet?
If they are both pulling DHCP addresses from the router, then I guess (unless
something's going wrong with that process and someone is "ARPing out") that
you're assured that they're on the same subnet. But if one or both computers
have manually configured IP configurations then you'd need to check to be
sure.

I'm not surprised that your Vista computer can't see the domain. It's not
connected to it, unless I'm very mistaken about your setup. Since WinXP can't
see the Vista system that sounds as though Vista's firewall isn't allowing
pinging. If your Vista firewall isn't allowing core networking and file and
print sharing then you're not going to get to browse to that machine.

The domain member machine (WinXP) is a concern. I'd guess it's logging on
with cached credentials in lieu of a real connection to your work network. I
would expect policies applied to it could also be preventing it from
connecting to at least some types of non-domain resources. I'm thinking the
admins on that company network might either be able to tell you out, or they
might wish to discourage you from doing this. Have you talked with them?

I'm sorry. I'm feeling a little scattered mentally at the moment. Saw your
message this morning and have not had a chance to get back to you before now.
And I'm afraid my thoughts are so disorganized that I may not be doing much
of a job of analysis or communication. If I get some more time later on I'll
come back to this thread and try to read through your messages more carefully
to see if I'm missing something.

"Randy Eisner" wrote:

> jimmuh
>
> As of right now, my Network & Sharing Settings are All on Except for Media
> Sharing.
> Public Folder Sharing is Read Only, Requires Password, and Printer Sharing
> is Requiring Password.
>
> I have tried several varaition of these settings with the same result
> (Password Required on or off, Public Folder Sharing On or Off.
>
> Simple File sharing on XP is disabled because its part of my corporate
> Domain, not a workgroup.
>

> "jimmuh" wrote:
>
> > Hi, Randy.
> >
> > If you go into the Network and Sharing Center on the Vista machine what do
> > you show under the six categories under Sharing and Discovery? (On, Off, On
> > (password required), etc.) Also, do you have simple file sharing enabled on
> > the WinXP system, or is that disabled?
> >
> > "Randy Eisner" wrote:
> >
> > > jimmuh,
> > >
> > > I have actually tried using both sharing with and without password
> > > protection. However, I have not activiated my Vista Guest account, and I do
> > > not have users with the same names on both machines.
> > >
> > > I guess, I was expecting to be prompted for credentials for the Vista
> > > machine, at which time I'd enter the User/Password for my vista admin account.
> > >
> > > The first issue I need to overcome, I think, is that I can't see the Vista
> > > machine over the network from the XP machine (browsing to \\VISTAMACHINE
> > > doesn't work)
> > >
> > > The overall issue is that I need to get printer to share (I'm not as
> > > concerned about file sharing yet, though I think that they will both work or
> > > not for the same reasons)
> > >
> > > Thanks for the reply, and I am still hoping to get this figured out.
> > >
> > > Randy

=?Utf-8?B?UmFuZHkgRWlzbmVy?=

RE: Cannot See or Access Vista from XP Pro
jimmuh,

Lets see if I can clear a few things up.
Vista Machine Network Config:
1) Manual IP (192.168.x.25)
2) The Subnet is 255.255.255.0
3) DNS Servers are manually set based on DHCP info on the router itself.
4) Default Gateway and WINS are set to the router internal IP (192.168.x.1)
5) NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled
6) IPv6 is disabled.

XP Machine Network Config
1) Dynamic IP (usually 192.168.x.100)
2) Subnet is 255.255.255.0
3) DNS Servers are set dynamically
4) Default Gateway is Router address (192.168.x.1)
5) WINS Server is not set.
6) NetBios over TCP/IP is enabled

I'm not sure it is vista's firewall, as I have turned it off, and still had
the problem.

Remember, I am concentrating on Printer sharing more than file sharing here.
I use Remote Desktop to Connect from Vista to XP. The XP Envent log is
showing errors finding the Terminal Services Printer driver.

I tried deleting the printer from device manager, with the hope that when I
reconnected remote desktop with printer redirection turned on, it would
re-add the printer... it didn't

Thanks for all the help, no matter how scattered your mind is.

Randy

"jimmuh" wrote:

> [...]
> > Sharing.
> > Public Folder Sharing is Read Only, Requires Password, and Printer Sharing
> > is Requiring Password.
> >
> > I have tried several varaition of these settings with the same result
> > (Password Required on or off, Public Folder Sharing On or Off.
> >
> > Simple File sharing on XP is disabled because its part of my corporate
> > Domain, not a workgroup.
> >

> > "jimmuh" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi, Randy.
> > >
> > > If you go into the Network and Sharing Center on the Vista machine what do
> > > you show under the six categories under Sharing and Discovery? (On, Off, On
> > > (password required), etc.) Also, do you have simple file sharing enabled on
> > > the WinXP system, or is that disabled?

=?Utf-8?B?amltbXVo?=

RE: Cannot See or Access Vista from XP Pro
Okay. the "x" in your IP addresses. Is it the same number on both of those
machines? I have to ask why the Vista machine is using a manually set IP
address and DNS servers. Is it because you connect to it from outside? (Silly
question, I suppose. You've already said you've set up port forwarding on the
router. Wasn't sure just how many systems / configurations are on your home
network.)

You can ping the Vista machine's IP address from the WinXP machine, but NOT
it's name? Have you tried (can you safely try) adding a user account to the
WinXP system, that user account to have the same name and password as an
account on the Vista machine?

These are the only specific things I can think of at the moment, though I
can imagine a great deal more. There are so MANY things that could interfere
with printer sharing that the mind boggles. In most cases it makes more sense
to start from scratch and reconfigure everything, just because the tiniest
detail can scuttle you. Going through from start to finish has saved me (and,
I suspect, many others) from hours and hours of tedious slogging through
setting after setting only to find something that you've stared in the face a
hundred times without having it register as the cause of the problem. (You
may be smarter than me, so YMMV.)

Regards,
jimmuh