RE: Networking "self-destructs" after joining Windows 2003 Domain

=?Utf-8?B?V29sZmdhbmcgQnVyZXM=?=

RE: Networking "self-destructs" after joining Windows 2003 Domain
I am having the same symptoms.
Did you get any responses or solutions?

"ZackMan18" wrote:

> I realize that this has been posted before, but no solution seems to be
> found. This is a HUGE problem and will abosolutely prevent any rollout of
> Vista in my organization if there is no solution to this problem. Basically,
> the problem is this:
>
> - New Vista setup (new install or upgrade using RC1) works fine until joined
> to the Win2K3 domain.
> - After joining the Win2K3 domain, Vista still OK after the first reboot,
> but after a subsequent shutdown/restart, the following happens:
> * DHCP Client service shuts down with a 1004 Access is denied error.
> * No IP address is leased from the DHCP server (since no DHCP Client
> service)
> * Machine is logged in with cached login information but no attempts to
> correct the network failures are successful.
>
> So far I have found no solution to this problem other than reinstall the O/S
> and all applications. I have tried saving a Restore point before joining the
> doimain and that is not sufficient for restoring the system to a working
> state.
>
> Additional information:
>
> - In addition to the DHCP Client not starting, the following "automatic"
> startup services are failing as well:
>
> * Base Filtering Engine
> * Diagnostic Policy Service
> * IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules
> * IPsec Policy Agent
> * Network List Service
> * Network Location Awareness
> * Thread Ordering Server
> * Windows Audio
> * Windows Firewall
> * Windows Time
> * Windows Media Center Service Launcher
>
> All of these services are set to Log On as "Local Service" except IPsec
> Policy Agent and Network Location Awareness - these are set to Network
> Service. Incidentally, there are about a dozen services which use the Local
> Service account that are starting correctly so I'm not sure what the problem
> is.
>
> Please Help.

Ben Derr

Re: Networking "self-destructs" after joining Windows 2003 Domain
Any domain based GPOs that touch these services?

--
Benjamin Derr

"Wolfgang Bures" <Wolfgang Bures@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having the same symptoms.
> Did you get any responses or solutions?
>
> "ZackMan18" wrote:
>
>> I realize that this has been posted before, but no solution seems to be
>> found. This is a HUGE problem and will abosolutely prevent any rollout
>> of
>> Vista in my organization if there is no solution to this problem.
>> Basically,
>> the problem is this:
>>
>> - New Vista setup (new install or upgrade using RC1) works fine until
>> joined
>> to the Win2K3 domain.
>> - After joining the Win2K3 domain, Vista still OK after the first reboot,
>> but after a subsequent shutdown/restart, the following happens:
>> * DHCP Client service shuts down with a 1004 Access is denied error.
>> * No IP address is leased from the DHCP server (since no DHCP Client
>> service)
>> * Machine is logged in with cached login information but no attempts
>> correct the network failures are successful.
>>
>> So far I have found no solution to this problem other than reinstall the
>> O/S
>> and all applications. I have tried saving a Restore point before joining
>> the
>> doimain and that is not sufficient for restoring the system to a working
>> state.
>>
>> Additional information:
>>
>> - In addition to the DHCP Client not starting, the following "automatic"
>> startup services are failing as well:
>>
>> * Base Filtering Engine
>> * Diagnostic Policy Service
>> * IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules
>> * IPsec Policy Agent
>> * Network List Service
>> * Network Location Awareness
>> * Thread Ordering Server
>> * Windows Audio
>> * Windows Firewall
>> * Windows Time
>> * Windows Media Center Service Launcher
>>
>> All of these services are set to Log On as "Local Service" except IPsec
>> Policy Agent and Network Location Awareness - these are set to Network
>> Service. Incidentally, there are about a dozen services which use the
>> Local
>> Service account that are starting correctly so I'm not sure what the
>> problem
>> is.
>>
>> Please Help.

=?Utf-8?B?V29sZmdhbmcgQnVyZXM=?=

Re: Networking "self-destructs" after joining Windows 2003 Domain
Just last night i found entries in the default domain policy disabling all
kind of services. I haven't got the faintest idea where these came from. Most
of them seem to be ignored anyway, because most of them are running. DHCP
Client doesnt. The policy disables it, but on the VISTA machine it is
enabled. You just can't start because of an "access denied". It seems that
the password is messed up. The account it self seems to work, because other
services using that account are running.
I will remove all these senseless entries form GPO and then try again - the
thing is only that the VISTA macghine is mainly offiste and needs to go
on-site to update the whole policy settings, so it may take a while to find
out.

"Ben Derr" wrote:

> Any domain based GPOs that touch these services?
>
> --
> Benjamin Derr
>

> "Wolfgang Bures" <Wolfgang Bures@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am having the same symptoms.
> > Did you get any responses or solutions?
> >
> > "ZackMan18" wrote:
> >
> >> I realize that this has been posted before, but no solution seems to be
> >> found. This is a HUGE problem and will abosolutely prevent any rollout
> >> of
> >> Vista in my organization if there is no solution to this problem.
> >> Basically,
> >> the problem is this:
> >>
> >> - New Vista setup (new install or upgrade using RC1) works fine until
> >> joined
> >> to the Win2K3 domain.
> >> - After joining the Win2K3 domain, Vista still OK after the first reboot,
> >> but after a subsequent shutdown/restart, the following happens:
> >> * DHCP Client service shuts down with a 1004 Access is denied error.
> >> * No IP address is leased from the DHCP server (since no DHCP Client
> >> service)
> >> * Machine is logged in with cached login information but no attempts
> >> correct the network failures are successful.
> >>
> >> So far I have found no solution to this problem other than reinstall the
> >> O/S
> >> and all applications. I have tried saving a Restore point before joining
> >> the
> >> doimain and that is not sufficient for restoring the system to a working
> >> state.
> >>
> >> Additional information:
> >>
> >> - In addition to the DHCP Client not starting, the following "automatic"
> >> startup services are failing as well:
> >>
> >> * Base Filtering Engine
> >> * Diagnostic Policy Service
> >> * IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules
> >> * IPsec Policy Agent
> >> * Network List Service
> >> * Network Location Awareness
> >> * Thread Ordering Server
> >> * Windows Audio
> >> * Windows Firewall
> >> * Windows Time
> >> * Windows Media Center Service Launcher
> >>
> >> All of these services are set to Log On as "Local Service" except IPsec
> >> Policy Agent and Network Location Awareness - these are set to Network
> >> Service. Incidentally, there are about a dozen services which use the
> >> Local
> >> Service account that are starting correctly so I'm not sure what the
> >> problem
> >> is.
> >>
> >> Please Help.

=?Utf-8?B?V29sZmdhbmcgQnVyZXM=?=

Re: Networking "self-destructs" after joining Windows 2003 Domain
The policies are removed, but there is noo change. I even removed policies
securing files and registry.
I also reinstalled the machine - still, after the domain join the DHCP
client and the Diagnostic Service fail to launch. Other services using the
same user are running, so it doesnt seem to be a user related problem. Only
"access denied".

Are there any debugging possibilities?? Any logging?

"Wolfgang Bures" wrote:

> Just last night i found entries in the default domain policy disabling all
> kind of services. I haven't got the faintest idea where these came from. Most
> of them seem to be ignored anyway, because most of them are running. DHCP
> Client doesnt. The policy disables it, but on the VISTA machine it is
> enabled. You just can't start because of an "access denied". It seems that
> the password is messed up. The account it self seems to work, because other
> services using that account are running.
> I will remove all these senseless entries form GPO and then try again - the
> thing is only that the VISTA macghine is mainly offiste and needs to go
> on-site to update the whole policy settings, so it may take a while to find
> out.
>
> "Ben Derr" wrote:
>
> > Any domain based GPOs that touch these services?
> >
> > --
> > Benjamin Derr
> >

> > "Wolfgang Bures" <Wolfgang Bures@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I am having the same symptoms.
> > > Did you get any responses or solutions?

=?Utf-8?B?V29sZmdhbmcgQnVyZXM=?=

Re: Networking "self-destructs" after joining Windows 2003 Domain
This
(http://blogs.technet.com/asiasupp/ar...00-domain.aspx) could be a solution.

My Domain was upgraded from 2000, maybe something got stuck..

"Wolfgang Bures" wrote:

> The policies are removed, but there is noo change. I even removed policies
> securing files and registry.
> I also reinstalled the machine - still, after the domain join the DHCP
> client and the Diagnostic Service fail to launch. Other services using the
> same user are running, so it doesnt seem to be a user related problem. Only
> "access denied".
>
> Are there any debugging possibilities?? Any logging?
>
> "Wolfgang Bures" wrote:
>
> > Just last night i found entries in the default domain policy disabling all
> > kind of services. I haven't got the faintest idea where these came from. Most
> > of them seem to be ignored anyway, because most of them are running. DHCP
> > Client doesnt. The policy disables it, but on the VISTA machine it is
> > enabled. You just can't start because of an "access denied". It seems that
> > the password is messed up. The account it self seems to work, because other
> > services using that account are running.
> > I will remove all these senseless entries form GPO and then try again - the
> > thing is only that the VISTA macghine is mainly offiste and needs to go
> > on-site to update the whole policy settings, so it may take a while to find
> > out.
> >
> > "Ben Derr" wrote:
> >
> > > Any domain based GPOs that touch these services?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Benjamin Derr

=?Utf-8?B?V29sZmdhbmcgQnVyZXM=?=

Re: Networking "self-destructs" after joining Windows 2003 Domain
The Privilege is not my problem.

I've tried using ProcMon to see if anything gets denied but again - nothing!

I'm at the end of the line

"Wolfgang Bures" wrote:

> This
> (http://blogs.technet.com/asiasupp/ar...00-domain.aspx) could be a solution.
>
> My Domain was upgraded from 2000, maybe something got stuck..
>
> "Wolfgang Bures" wrote:
>
> > The policies are removed, but there is noo change. I even removed policies
> > securing files and registry.
> > I also reinstalled the machine - still, after the domain join the DHCP
> > client and the Diagnostic Service fail to launch. Other services using the
> > same user are running, so it doesnt seem to be a user related problem. Only
> > "access denied".
> >
> > Are there any debugging possibilities?? Any logging?
> >
> > "Wolfgang Bures" wrote:
> >
> > > Just last night i found entries in the default domain policy disabling all
> > > kind of services. I haven't got the faintest idea where these came from. Most
> > > of them seem to be ignored anyway, because most of them are running. DHCP
> > > Client doesnt. The policy disables it, but on the VISTA machine it is
> > > enabled. You just can't start because of an "access denied". It seems that
> > > the password is messed up. The account it self seems to work, because other
> > > services using that account are running.
> > > I will remove all these senseless entries form GPO and then try again - the
> > > thing is only that the VISTA macghine is mainly offiste and needs to go
> > > on-site to update the whole policy settings, so it may take a while to find
> > > out.

DirkSwart is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Networking self-destruct
Hi, I have exactly the same problem with a AD2000 Domain that was upgraded to a AD 2003 Domain. When I join a Vista SP1 machine to the domain all is fine untill I restart a second time! A whole lot of services then refuse to start like DHCP client, Network location awareness, Windows Firewall etc.

Is there any way that the Default Domain policy is responsible for this. In a test environment AD 2003 domain there is no such problems most probably because 2003 was installed initially. (No upgrade from AD 2000)

Some services start using local service and network service. Why can't these services that I named start?

Should I try to reset the security portion of the default domain policy?
Mick Murphy

RE: Networking "self-destructs" after joining Windows 2003 Domain
Vista Home Premium won't join a Domain.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"DirkSwart" wrote:

> Hi, I have exactly the same problem with a AD2000 Domain that was
> upgraded to a AD 2003 Domain. When I join a Vista SP1 machine to the
> domain all is fine untill I restart a second time! A whole lot of
> services then refuse to start like DHCP client, Network location
> awareness, Windows Firewall etc.
>
> Is there any way that the Default Domain policy is responsible for
> this. In a test environment AD 2003 domain there is no such problems
> most probably because 2003 was installed initially. (No upgrade from AD
> 2000)
>
> Some services start using local service and network service. Why can't
> these services that I named start?
>
> Should I try to reset the security portion of the default domain
> policy?
>

> --
> DirkSwart

DirkSwart is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi the PC is Vista Ultimate and it does join the domain fine. It's afterwards when domain policy is applied when rebooting occurs, where services refuse to start. Could be a security policy from the AD2000 environment that was upgraded to AD2003.
Steve

RE: Networking "self-destructs" after joining Windows 2003 Domain
I'm having the same issue. I was troubleshooting my inability to use Vista's
offline file feature. I have four Vista users with very slow performance
both offline and on. I got past some of it by applying all the Vista patches
to the Exchange server, SBS and the Vista clients, but offline files simply
does not work.

So for troubelshooting, I built an SBS lab and now I have the issue you
describe...I joined the system to the domain using the Connect Computer site,
but during the connection attempt, it killed every network connection on the
network.

Further troubleshooting got a single successful offline file synchronization
but only by booting to diagnostic startup. Once that succeeded, I have been
unable to reproduce the success...all attempts at syncing fail now, and often
even the attempt will blow away other network connections.

Twice I've had to reboot my router to reestabilsh connectivity...and yes,
the router's firmware is up to date. It is a SonicWALL 2040 both at the lab
and the production site, and the production site to date has not shown the
network "self-destruction" symptom of the lab, but I'm certainly not going to
try to recreate it there.

I have a ticket open with Microsoft, and to date their alleged escalation
engineers cannot find a solution.

So again...in addition to the network blowing up when the Vista systems try
to join the domain and when GPO runs, I cannot get offline files working.

To make matters worse, these are Dell XPS laptops which cannot run XP
Pro...or believe me I would have stopped beating my head against this issue a
hundred hours ago and "upgraded" back to XP Pro.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.