VPN and binding order.

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9iMzU0?=

VPN and binding order.
Running Vista Ultimate 6.0.6000 Build 6000, got a VPN connection going with
no problems. However, when I try to open a web browser it often tells me
that it can't reach the page. If I disconnect the VPN, the browser works
perfectly. I looked into it and the DNS server that was being returned by
nslookup is the wrong server and is in fact the DNS server that the VPN
server uses, not my local connection. Upon some research I learned that the
binding order is to blame. If I shift the binding order around (using
regedit, the Advanced menu option in the network connections doesn't have any
effect in regards to VPN connections) it works fine and returns my ISPs DNS
server. This is not a good solution however as the problem reappears if I
disconnect and reconnect. This looks to be a bug in the TCP/IP binding
ordering. Has anyone else run into this? And if so, is there a workaround
to this issue? If this is a bug, is there an address that I can direct my
report?

Thanks
indianabeck

Re: VPN and binding order.
Look at the Properties of your VPN. If you have
VPNNAME\Properties\Network\Internet Protocol 4\Advanced\IP Settings\Use
default gateway on remote network checked, this will happen. It defaults to
be checked when you set up the VPN

Dab
"Bob354" <Bob354@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Running Vista Ultimate 6.0.6000 Build 6000, got a VPN connection going
> with
> no problems. However, when I try to open a web browser it often tells me
> that it can't reach the page. If I disconnect the VPN, the browser works
> perfectly. I looked into it and the DNS server that was being returned
> by
> nslookup is the wrong server and is in fact the DNS server that the VPN
> server uses, not my local connection. Upon some research I learned that
> the
> binding order is to blame. If I shift the binding order around (using
> regedit, the Advanced menu option in the network connections doesn't have
> any
> effect in regards to VPN connections) it works fine and returns my ISPs
> DNS
> server. This is not a good solution however as the problem reappears if I
> disconnect and reconnect. This looks to be a bug in the TCP/IP binding
> ordering. Has anyone else run into this? And if so, is there a
> workaround
> to this issue? If this is a bug, is there an address that I can direct my
> report?
>
> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9iMzU0?=

Re: VPN and binding order.
This is the first thing I turn off when I set up a VPN connection. And I
confirmed that it is indeed off.

"indianabeck" wrote:

> Look at the Properties of your VPN. If you have
> VPNNAME\Properties\Network\Internet Protocol 4\Advanced\IP Settings\Use
> default gateway on remote network checked, this will happen. It defaults to
> be checked when you set up the VPN
>
> Dab
> "Bob354" <Bob354@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Running Vista Ultimate 6.0.6000 Build 6000, got a VPN connection going
> > with
> > no problems. However, when I try to open a web browser it often tells me
> > that it can't reach the page. If I disconnect the VPN, the browser works
> > perfectly. I looked into it and the DNS server that was being returned
> > by
> > nslookup is the wrong server and is in fact the DNS server that the VPN
> > server uses, not my local connection. Upon some research I learned that
> > the
> > binding order is to blame. If I shift the binding order around (using
> > regedit, the Advanced menu option in the network connections doesn't have
> > any
> > effect in regards to VPN connections) it works fine and returns my ISPs
> > DNS
> > server. This is not a good solution however as the problem reappears if I
> > disconnect and reconnect. This looks to be a bug in the TCP/IP binding
> > ordering. Has anyone else run into this? And if so, is there a
> > workaround
> > to this issue? If this is a bug, is there an address that I can direct my
> > report?
> >
> > Thanks

DJACK

Changing binding order in Vista
Can you provide some details in how to change the binding order in Vista?

Thanks!

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Gloria Boyer [MSFT]

Re: Changing binding order in Vista
Hi Debra. Here's how to do change the binding order:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...d50761033.mspx

Thanks for posting!
Gloria

--