BIZZARE!

=?Utf-8?B?Q29uZnVzZWQ=?=

BIZZARE!
I have Windows Vista Business edition. I am attempting to setup putty for
ssh access to computers at work. All other computers on my network can use
it without issue. So I have eliminated the router. I can ssh to some
computers (3 out of 8). I set up a simple web page on the machines I can’t
get to and I am able to view that page with IE7 but I can’t access them with
FireFox. I am able to ping and trace route to all those servers and telnet
seems to work from the command line. Why is Vista blocking certain ip’s
under certain applications.
David Hettel

Re: BIZZARE!
Sounds like a firewall problem to me. Vista is more secure than previous
versions of windows. Default actions is not to allow, or to prompt for
permission. Sounds like vista maybe blocking certain ports, to some IP
ranges.

--
David Hettel

E-mail or news groups.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

no rights.

"Confused" <Confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsA6B885A-DA05-41F2-A7D7-70632AEB2637@microsoft.com...
>I have Windows Vista Business edition. I am attempting to setup putty for
> ssh access to computers at work. All other computers on my network can
> use
> it without issue. So I have eliminated the router. I can ssh to some
> computers (3 out of 8). I set up a simple web page on the machines I can’t
> get to and I am able to view that page with IE7 but I can’t access them
> with
> FireFox. I am able to ping and trace route to all those servers and
> telnet
> seems to work from the command line. Why is Vista blocking certain ip’s
> under certain applications.

=?Utf-8?B?Q29uZnVzZWQ=?=

Re: BIZZARE!
To test this theory I allowed putty. Then I turned off firewall and then
disabled the service. I also have disabled "windows defender." The OS is
doing something it shouldn't.