Windows Vista takes 10-15min to recognize my router

=?Utf-8?B?amNyb20=?=

Windows Vista takes 10-15min to recognize my router
I have Vista RC1 and when booting up it can take 15 minutes (or even more)
for Vista to recognize my LAN. It says it's a public network, I change it to
private, then I can try anything from asking to detect IP to reinstall NIC
drivers, nothing works.

Then after a while it all starts to work with no further problem.

I haven't updated my laptop with Windows Xp Pro to be recognized in the
Vista Network, so there is only one PC in my LAN. Vista knows there is a LAN
but doesn't identify it straight away, appears as unknown netowrk.

When I reboot the following day or the next PC session, the whole thing
starts over again, and Vista still says I have a public network, so doesn'
save previous settings.

I use Microsoft Live One Care and a 2wire 2700 router.

Once Vista recognizes everything, it works a treat. But waiting 15 minutes
or so each time I satrt the PC is a pain.

Any help welcome. Problem has been submitted to Microsoft through the
internal tool in Vista to report problems, no solution so far.
Mitch Roberson

Re: Windows Vista takes 10-15min to recognize my router
Check with your router manufacturer to see if they have a new firmware
upgrade.
I have been seeing some strang things with Routers that the firmware is not
up to date.
"jcrom" <jcrom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsBA1B534-E718-4734-BE08-549FCE7D7B25@microsoft.com...
>I have Vista RC1 and when booting up it can take 15 minutes (or even more)
> for Vista to recognize my LAN. It says it's a public network, I change it
> private, then I can try anything from asking to detect IP to reinstall NIC
> drivers, nothing works.
>
> Then after a while it all starts to work with no further problem.
>
> I haven't updated my laptop with Windows Xp Pro to be recognized in the
> Vista Network, so there is only one PC in my LAN. Vista knows there is a
> LAN
> but doesn't identify it straight away, appears as unknown netowrk.
>
> When I reboot the following day or the next PC session, the whole thing
> starts over again, and Vista still says I have a public network, so doesn'
> save previous settings.
>
> I use Microsoft Live One Care and a 2wire 2700 router.
>
> Once Vista recognizes everything, it works a treat. But waiting 15 minutes
> or so each time I satrt the PC is a pain.
>
> Any help welcome. Problem has been submitted to Microsoft through the
> internal tool in Vista to report problems, no solution so far.

=?Utf-8?B?amNyb20=?=

Re: Windows Vista takes 10-15min to recognize my router
I managed to sort out this problem by allowing Netbios over TCP/IP in the
advanced settings of my Ethernet adapter, as I use a static IP address for my
broadband connection. Rebooted PC and now it connects straight away!

I hope this helps others.