Network Logon

Dan G Russ

Network Logon
I have 2 computers on my vista network (x86 -x64). When trying to logon to
either one I am prompted for user/pass. Where do I set this up? Or where do
I find my username for either computer? I entered a username (no password)
during installation on both computers but can't remember what they are. Any
help is appreciated. Thanks.

David Hettel

Re: Network Logon
Start (menu) | Control Panel | User Accounts and Family Safety | Add or
remove user accounts | Continue | You should get a list of accounts, note
capitalization D is not the same as d.

--
David Hettel

E-mail or news groups.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

no rights.

"Dan G Russ" <dangruss@pause.com> wrote in message
>I have 2 computers on my vista network (x86 -x64). When trying to logon to
>either one I am prompted for user/pass. Where do I set this up? Or where do
>I find my username for either computer? I entered a username (no password)
>during installation on both computers but can't remember what they are. Any
>help is appreciated. Thanks.

Dan G Russ

Re: Network Logon
Thanks a lot for the reply, David. I created a password for each computer in
'User
Accounts.' The username was the name of the computer and I'm in like Flynn.

"David Hettel" <dah618@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Start (menu) | Control Panel | User Accounts and Family Safety | Add or
> remove user accounts | Continue | You should get a list of accounts, note
> capitalization D is not the same as d.
>
> --
> David Hettel
>
> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group for
> everyone
> to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions addressed directly to me
> in
> E-mail or news groups.

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

> indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use of,
> or
> inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post and
> confers
> no rights.
>

> "Dan G Russ" <dangruss@pause.com> wrote in message
>>I have 2 computers on my vista network (x86 -x64). When trying to logon to
>>either one I am prompted for user/pass. Where do I set this up? Or where
>>do I find my username for either computer? I entered a username (no
>>password) during installation on both computers but can't remember what
>>they are. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Bruce Sanderson

Re: Network Logon
By "logon" do you mean:
a. logging on locally at the Vista computer?
or
b. connecting over the network to another Vista computer?

If you did not define a password to the user account created during initial
installation and have not created any new user accounts, then logging on
locally should be automatic, so I'll assume you mean b - connecting over the
network to another computer. If your user account does have a password or
you have defined additional user accounts, the user name(s) will appear on
the Welcome panel.

1. to find out what user account you are currently logged on with:
a. Start, Run, key
cmd
press Enter
b. key
set username
press Enter

2. by default, you can not connect to a Vista computer over the network
using a user account that does not have a password. This is the same as for
Windows XP (at least XP Professional - not certain about XP Home). For more
information about this see the thread "Partition sharing through network" in
the newsgroup microsoft.public.windows.vista.general.

3. to create a password for the currently logged on user account, press
Ctrl+Alt+Del, select Change Password. If this account does not yet have a
password, just leave the Old password box empty.

4. to view, add, delete or change user accounts (e.g. set the password),
either:
a. Start, right click Computer, select Manage [click Continue OR key an
adminstrative user account and password], expand Local Users and Groups,
click User
or
b. Start, Control Panel, User Accounts, Manage User Accounts
or
c. Start, Control Panel, User Accounts, Give other users access to this
computer

Note: usernames are NOT case sensitive, but passwords are.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders