Unidentified Network, Access: Local Only

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZSBCb25uZWxs?=

Unidentified Network, Access: Local Only
This is a follow-up post to a previous thread I posted titled "Networking
DOA: Unidentified Network, Access: Local Only" to which I have not received a
satisfactory response.

All of the details can be found in the above mentioned thread but I will
summarize the main points of the problem again here for clarity.

* Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, driver is b57xp32.sys,
v9.81.0.0, 11/10/2006, service name is b57w2k. I was using an earlier
driver (v9.52) when it stopped working; upgrading to the latest driver
(v9.81) made no difference.
* Was working fine under RC2, worked fine under RTM for about 1 week then
stopped working completely with the above network status
* Have tried Network Diagnose/Repair, disabling suspend mode, disabling TCP
checksum offload, hibernate/resume, uninstalling/re-installing driver,
manullay setting TCP/IP configuration - problem persists
* No change to network configuration (router configuration, firewalls, or
otherwise) and other boxes on the same LAN continue to function and the same
box when booted in Windows XP Pro operates fine so its not the NIC
* Nothing in the event logs to indicate a problem with the adapter or
networking
* System Information reports that the b57w2k service is "Stopped" and that
it's start mode is "Manual" so it seems for some reason the driver has been
stopped and I have no idea why or how to restart it. Disabling/enabling the
adapter has no affect nor does Network Diagnose/Repair.

HELP!!!!

David Bonnell
BMC Software, Inc
=?Utf-8?B?U3R1YXJ0IFtNVlBd?=

RE: Unidentified Network, Access: Local Only
Have you verified the NIC isn't set to allow the computer to turn it off to
save power?
(Power Management Tab in the Device Manager NIC Device properties UI).

I'd further suggest you perform an in-place repair using the original Vista
DVD media.

Stuart.
--------

"Dave Bonnell" wrote:

> This is a follow-up post to a previous thread I posted titled "Networking
> DOA: Unidentified Network, Access: Local Only" to which I have not received a
> satisfactory response.
>
> All of the details can be found in the above mentioned thread but I will
> summarize the main points of the problem again here for clarity.
>
> * Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, driver is b57xp32.sys,
> v9.81.0.0, 11/10/2006, service name is b57w2k. I was using an earlier
> driver (v9.52) when it stopped working; upgrading to the latest driver
> (v9.81) made no difference.
> * Was working fine under RC2, worked fine under RTM for about 1 week then
> stopped working completely with the above network status
> * Have tried Network Diagnose/Repair, disabling suspend mode, disabling TCP
> checksum offload, hibernate/resume, uninstalling/re-installing driver,
> manullay setting TCP/IP configuration - problem persists
> * No change to network configuration (router configuration, firewalls, or
> otherwise) and other boxes on the same LAN continue to function and the same
> box when booted in Windows XP Pro operates fine so its not the NIC
> * Nothing in the event logs to indicate a problem with the adapter or
> networking
> * System Information reports that the b57w2k service is "Stopped" and that
> it's start mode is "Manual" so it seems for some reason the driver has been
> stopped and I have no idea why or how to restart it. Disabling/enabling the
> adapter has no affect nor does Network Diagnose/Repair.
>
> HELP!!!!
>

> David Bonnell
> BMC Software, Inc

AJR

Re: Unidentified Network, Access: Local Only
Would results of good old "ipconfig /all" be of value?

"Dave Bonnell" <DaveBonnell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is a follow-up post to a previous thread I posted titled "Networking
> DOA: Unidentified Network, Access: Local Only" to which I have not
> received a
> satisfactory response.
>
> All of the details can be found in the above mentioned thread but I will
> summarize the main points of the problem again here for clarity.
>
> * Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, driver is b57xp32.sys,
> v9.81.0.0, 11/10/2006, service name is b57w2k. I was using an earlier
> driver (v9.52) when it stopped working; upgrading to the latest driver
> (v9.81) made no difference.
> * Was working fine under RC2, worked fine under RTM for about 1 week then
> stopped working completely with the above network status
> * Have tried Network Diagnose/Repair, disabling suspend mode, disabling
> TCP
> checksum offload, hibernate/resume, uninstalling/re-installing driver,
> manullay setting TCP/IP configuration - problem persists
> * No change to network configuration (router configuration, firewalls, or
> otherwise) and other boxes on the same LAN continue to function and the
> same
> box when booted in Windows XP Pro operates fine so its not the NIC
> * Nothing in the event logs to indicate a problem with the adapter or
> networking
> * System Information reports that the b57w2k service is "Stopped" and that
> it's start mode is "Manual" so it seems for some reason the driver has
> been
> stopped and I have no idea why or how to restart it. Disabling/enabling
> the
> adapter has no affect nor does Network Diagnose/Repair.
>
> HELP!!!!
>

> David Bonnell
> BMC Software, Inc

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZSBCb25uZWxs?=

RE: Unidentified Network, Access: Local Only
Yes I have, that is what I meant when I said "disabling suspend mode". I'll
try your suggestion of a system repair from the Vista installation DVD.

-Dave

"Stuart [MVP]" wrote:

> Have you verified the NIC isn't set to allow the computer to turn it off to
> save power?
> (Power Management Tab in the Device Manager NIC Device properties UI).
>
> I'd further suggest you perform an in-place repair using the original Vista
> DVD media.
>
> Stuart.
> --------
>
> "Dave Bonnell" wrote:
>
> > This is a follow-up post to a previous thread I posted titled "Networking
> > DOA: Unidentified Network, Access: Local Only" to which I have not received a
> > satisfactory response.
> >
> > All of the details can be found in the above mentioned thread but I will
> > summarize the main points of the problem again here for clarity.
> >
> > * Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, driver is b57xp32.sys,
> > v9.81.0.0, 11/10/2006, service name is b57w2k. I was using an earlier
> > driver (v9.52) when it stopped working; upgrading to the latest driver
> > (v9.81) made no difference.
> > * Was working fine under RC2, worked fine under RTM for about 1 week then
> > stopped working completely with the above network status
> > * Have tried Network Diagnose/Repair, disabling suspend mode, disabling TCP
> > checksum offload, hibernate/resume, uninstalling/re-installing driver,
> > manullay setting TCP/IP configuration - problem persists
> > * No change to network configuration (router configuration, firewalls, or
> > otherwise) and other boxes on the same LAN continue to function and the same
> > box when booted in Windows XP Pro operates fine so its not the NIC
> > * Nothing in the event logs to indicate a problem with the adapter or
> > networking
> > * System Information reports that the b57w2k service is "Stopped" and that
> > it's start mode is "Manual" so it seems for some reason the driver has been
> > stopped and I have no idea why or how to restart it. Disabling/enabling the
> > adapter has no affect nor does Network Diagnose/Repair.
> >
> > HELP!!!!
> >

> > David Bonnell
> > BMC Software, Inc

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZSBCb25uZWxs?=

Re: Unidentified Network, Access: Local Only
The network configuration is correct. It's something else. Windows System
Information reports that the driver is stopped which I assume is not normal
but I will try to verify this on another working Vista system.

-Dave

"AJR" wrote:

> Would results of good old "ipconfig /all" be of value?
>
> "Dave Bonnell" <DaveBonnell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This is a follow-up post to a previous thread I posted titled "Networking
> > DOA: Unidentified Network, Access: Local Only" to which I have not
> > received a
> > satisfactory response.
> >
> > All of the details can be found in the above mentioned thread but I will
> > summarize the main points of the problem again here for clarity.
> >
> > * Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, driver is b57xp32.sys,
> > v9.81.0.0, 11/10/2006, service name is b57w2k. I was using an earlier
> > driver (v9.52) when it stopped working; upgrading to the latest driver
> > (v9.81) made no difference.
> > * Was working fine under RC2, worked fine under RTM for about 1 week then
> > stopped working completely with the above network status
> > * Have tried Network Diagnose/Repair, disabling suspend mode, disabling
> > TCP
> > checksum offload, hibernate/resume, uninstalling/re-installing driver,
> > manullay setting TCP/IP configuration - problem persists
> > * No change to network configuration (router configuration, firewalls, or
> > otherwise) and other boxes on the same LAN continue to function and the
> > same
> > box when booted in Windows XP Pro operates fine so its not the NIC
> > * Nothing in the event logs to indicate a problem with the adapter or
> > networking
> > * System Information reports that the b57w2k service is "Stopped" and that
> > it's start mode is "Manual" so it seems for some reason the driver has
> > been
> > stopped and I have no idea why or how to restart it. Disabling/enabling
> > the
> > adapter has no affect nor does Network Diagnose/Repair.
> >
> > HELP!!!!
> >

> > David Bonnell
> > BMC Software, Inc

David Hettel

Re: Unidentified Network, Access: Local Only
Well I don't have your hardware, but it looks to me that you are using a
driver design for Windows 2000 and not vista. Have you permitted vista to
connect to the internet and download the latest driver?

--
David Hettel

E-mail or news groups.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

no rights.

"Dave Bonnell" <DaveBonnell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is a follow-up post to a previous thread I posted titled "Networking
> DOA: Unidentified Network, Access: Local Only" to which I have not
> received a
> satisfactory response.
>
> All of the details can be found in the above mentioned thread but I will
> summarize the main points of the problem again here for clarity.
>
> * Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, driver is b57xp32.sys,
> v9.81.0.0, 11/10/2006, service name is b57w2k. I was using an earlier
> driver (v9.52) when it stopped working; upgrading to the latest driver
> (v9.81) made no difference.
> * Was working fine under RC2, worked fine under RTM for about 1 week then
> stopped working completely with the above network status
> * Have tried Network Diagnose/Repair, disabling suspend mode, disabling
> TCP
> checksum offload, hibernate/resume, uninstalling/re-installing driver,
> manullay setting TCP/IP configuration - problem persists
> * No change to network configuration (router configuration, firewalls, or
> otherwise) and other boxes on the same LAN continue to function and the
> same
> box when booted in Windows XP Pro operates fine so its not the NIC
> * Nothing in the event logs to indicate a problem with the adapter or
> networking
> * System Information reports that the b57w2k service is "Stopped" and that
> it's start mode is "Manual" so it seems for some reason the driver has
> been
> stopped and I have no idea why or how to restart it. Disabling/enabling
> the
> adapter has no affect nor does Network Diagnose/Repair.
>
> HELP!!!!
>

> David Bonnell
> BMC Software, Inc

magnush

Re: Unidentified Network, Access: Local Only

I have exactly the same problem.

My nic is an onboard one from an asus p5k motherboard:
Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T
driver is atl01v64.sys

Windows Vista 64bit
It worked at first, then after a failed bios upgrading and reflashing
with eprom burner it stopped working. All I get now is Unidentified
network. I have reinstalled the drivers in every way possible, I have
removed the allow windows to shut it down. I have entered a mac address
as a preset in the card config, I have unchecked ipv6 but nothing seems
to have an effect.

I have a physical firewall and that has been rebooted, it has been
shutoff for half an hour, I have tried without it but to no avail. I can
see that I am sending packets but I am not receiving any. I only get the
169.. adress. I have entered a correct ip address in the tcp/ip settings
with and without gateway yet am unable to ping anything on my lan (same
thing, sending packets not receiving any).

I use an usb wireless card from zyxel, that is what gives me internet
access atm but I am not overly fond of wireless, in fact I loath it.

What I do have are tunnel interfaces, dont know what they are for?

C:\Users\Magnus>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : bredbandsbolaget.se
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d4d7:3e7d:4b9a:bba8%10
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 85.226.199.xx removed on
purpose

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.83.30
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:169.254.83.30%11

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : bredbandsbolaget.se
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . :
fe80::200:5efe:85.226.199.174%13

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : bredbandsbolaget.se
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2002:55e2:c7ae::55e2:c7ae
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c058:6301::c058:6301

C:\Users\Magnus>

there are no arp entries for anything on my lan either

C:\test> arp -a

Interface: 169.254.83.30 --- 0x9
Internet Address Physical Address Type
169.254.255.255 ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff static
224.0.0.22 01-00-5e-00-00-16 static

Interface: 85.226.199.174 --- 0xa
Internet Address Physical Address Type
85.226.199.129 00-00-0c-07-ac-01 dynamic
224.0.0.22 01-00-5e-00-00-16 static

C:\test>

--
magnush
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Unidentified Network, Access: Local Only
Sounds like incompatible issue. This link may help,

Vista compatible issuesSome switches or routers may not compatible with Vista – Solutions: upgrade the firmware, disable the IPv6, re-configure the speed, and setup TCP/IP ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistacompatible.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"magnush" <magnush.2wcs3a@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message news:magnush.2wcs3a@no-mx.forums.net...

[...]

It is solved for my part. Bought a new nic and that was it.

Actually I "borrowed" a really old intel pro 100 from work.

So there you go, get yourself a nic if you have my problem. Looked
around in stores and they were as low as 10-15$

--
magnush
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Unidentified Network, Access: Local Only
Thank you for the update.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE