Networking - reduced mode

Diamontina Cocktail

Networking - reduced mode
Any idea why limiting a Vista machine at the router would force it, in 2
days, to go reduced mode? The machine is only supposed to contact parts of
the network so the router has been configured to deny it access to Internet
or other parts of the network. I ran into someone who told me I had to set
up a server to get around that problem. Why? Who is going to pay for the
extra time and equipment to do that?

Bruce Sanderson

Re: Networking - reduced mode
1. check that the computer is "Activated" or not - Start, right click
Computer, Properties. "Automatic activation" takes place about 3 days after
the initial installation, not immediately after installation. The "grace
period" between installation and mandatory activation (reduced functionality
mode) is 30 days.

2. was Vista installed using Volume License Media? If so, are you using Key
Management Services (KMS) or Multiple Activation Keys (MAK)? See:

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/r...l/default.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win...n/faq.mspx#E3F
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win...n/volact1.mspx

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders

"Bruce Sanderson" <bsanders@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
> 1. check that the computer is "Activated" or not - Start, right click
> Computer, Properties. "Automatic activation" takes place about 3 days
> after the initial installation, not immediately after installation. The
> "grace period" between installation and mandatory activation (reduced
> functionality mode) is 30 days.

It had been activated for some time.

> 2. was Vista installed using Volume License Media? I

No. Individual work machine this one. Corporate HQ but a stand alone for
different purposes that has been registered, has Vista on it and so far as I
know, should work without interference as XP does in this same situation. It
doesnt, though. It has the same properties as a Vista in reduced mode has.
Therefore, I assume it to be that. Cant even start one of the darned
Microsoft supplied (with Vista) games. Cant do anything. Allow the router to
let the machine contact internet and all comes back just fine. This is
leading to major problems for what we want to do and added to that, in my
own private time I like to host LAN parties at my home on occasion where we
hook to my router. Some of the people drop their LAN party machines off a
week or more before the event. I do the honours and hook them all up and
make sure all is OK. However, I dont allow them access to Internet through
my router at home. Is this same thing that is happening at work going to
happen to the Vista machines at my home LAN parties? This really is a
nightmare so far.

=?Utf-8?B?amltbXVo?=

Re: Networking - reduced mode
Oooh. Now this one is interesting. No, I got nothin'. But I'm damned
interested!

I can tell you that I sort of tested this at home -- by accident. My cable
Internet was down almost 24 hours. My two Vista Business RTM machines were
connected via wireless to the WRT54G and didn't seem to experience any
behavioral issues -- other than not being able to see the Internet. Don't
know if 24 hours is long enough to see the problem you're reporting, though.
I have the experience improvement stuff turned on in Vista and in Office 2007
and every autoupdate there is turned on just for giggles. I would expect at
least a little impact from all of that, but didn't see anything.