Connect to a share (wireless != wired)

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXI=?=

Connect to a share (wireless != wired)
Dear group,

I've encounterd a strange problem when connecting to a network share from a
Vista client (laptop) over a Wireless connection. I'm confronted with the
following behaviour:

After mapping the share as drive, when i right click on the assigned drive
letter in the explorer it shows me the properties of the drive like free
space available etc. I can even see the sub-directories from the root if
there are no or just a few files. When i browse to a subdirectory with files
in it then Vista is very busy and then after a few minutes the following
error is presented to me:

to use this network resource.

Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
permissions.

The specified network name is no longer available."

Internet access over the wireless connection in Vista works great so i think
my network drivers all are working properly.

What puzzels me is that when I connect to the same share from Vista over a
wired UTP connection there is absolutly now problem. Also the same connection
from Window XP over a wireless (same computer) also works without any
problem. I've also tried to connect from a different laptop also with Vista
Ultimate on it but it gave me the same problem.

So the question is what could make my wireless connection in Windows Vista
so different from a UTP connection. I'm thinking of some special security
feature of Vista for wireless connections or could it be something on the
server?

The network share is part of a Windows 2003 server (no domain).
The security properties of the share are as follows. Everyone full access on
both Network Sharing and NTFS level.

I connect to the share with the administrator account of the Windows 2003
server.
The laptops i've used for this test are both multi-boot with Windows Vista
Ultimate & Windows XP SP2

Peter

=?Utf-8?B?TG9uZG9uIEVk?=

RE: Connect to a share (wireless != wired)
All,

I have the same issue. Vista connecting to a 2003 non-domain server share.
Wired works fine, wireless has a problem (no issues with XP on the same
machine). Wireless internet access is ok and pinging and seeing the share
names on the 2003 Server seems fine. The issue shows when trying to open the
share as seen in the original post below. Additional info:

Remote Desktop to Windows Server 2003 also works fine with wired but not
wireless.

Creating a share on the Vista machine can be seen and browsed from other
machines when the Vista machine is wireless only.

Any help/thoughts would be welcome

Ed

"Peter" wrote:

> Dear group,
>
> I've encounterd a strange problem when connecting to a network share from a
> Vista client (laptop) over a Wireless connection. I'm confronted with the
> following behaviour:
>
> After mapping the share as drive, when i right click on the assigned drive
> letter in the explorer it shows me the properties of the drive like free
> space available etc. I can even see the sub-directories from the root if
> there are no or just a few files. When i browse to a subdirectory with files
> in it then Vista is very busy and then after a few minutes the following
> error is presented to me:

> to use this network resource.
>
> Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
> permissions.
>
> The specified network name is no longer available."
>
> Internet access over the wireless connection in Vista works great so i think
> my network drivers all are working properly.
>
> What puzzels me is that when I connect to the same share from Vista over a
> wired UTP connection there is absolutly now problem. Also the same connection
> from Window XP over a wireless (same computer) also works without any
> problem. I've also tried to connect from a different laptop also with Vista
> Ultimate on it but it gave me the same problem.
>
> So the question is what could make my wireless connection in Windows Vista
> so different from a UTP connection. I'm thinking of some special security
> feature of Vista for wireless connections or could it be something on the
> server?
>
> The network share is part of a Windows 2003 server (no domain).
> The security properties of the share are as follows. Everyone full access on
> both Network Sharing and NTFS level.
>
> I connect to the share with the administrator account of the Windows 2003
> server.
> The laptops i've used for this test are both multi-boot with Windows Vista
> Ultimate & Windows XP SP2
>
> Peter

=?Utf-8?B?amltbXVo?=

RE: Connect to a share (wireless != wired)
Don't know if my musings can be of much help, but I'll give it a shot since
you're not getting much play in this thread.

Am I right to assume that you have not configured firewall policies on these
systems?

I haven't seen what you're describing, and I'm testing Vista (again,
assuming RTM?) on several systems that connect to various networks via both
Ethernet and wireless. In fact, I have seen a definite improvement in network
browsing and general performance since switching these systems from XP to
Vista, and these systems are locked down pretty tightly. Silly question,
perhaps, but do you see the same issues when NOT mapping but just using UNC.

I have a couple of observations.

1. I have seen similar (but not the same) behavior from WinXP clients using
Explorer to look at network shares on a large AD2003 (not R2, yet) domain.
It's really weird and unexplainable (to me) that highlighting and expanding
subdirectories of a share using the left pane of Explorer is outrageously
slow, and sometimes stalls. Double-clicking my way down through the
subdirectories of the same share (in the same danged Explorer session) in the
RIGHT pane of explorer provides instantaneous response. I do NOT see this
behavior on my Vista machines.

2. I have seen very simiar (perhaps exactly the same, but not enough info)
behavior on WinXP machines on which I had installed Windows Live OneCare. No
matter how they were configured wireless was just out of luck. Wired
connections were, more or less, okay. That type of failure occurred on 4 out
of 4 systems on which WLOC was tested here. That was a couple of months ago.
Haven't touched WLOC since then so don't know if any progress has been made.
Have never tried the 1.5 beta of WLOC (earlier versions not compatible) with
Vista.

I have no knowledge as to whether or not the WLOC firewall and the Vista
firewall have similar underpinnings. The WLOC firewall replaces, I am told,
the XP firewall when WLOC is installed. It doesn't work well. The one on
Vista seems to work well. So I'm guessing / hoping they are not closely
related. Or perhaps they're the same, and what works in Vista just doesn't
work in XP.

So, there are my musings. I hope they might provide some grist for the mill,
though you'd have to be pretty lucky to find an actual solution in there.
Actually troubleshooting a networking issue like this in a newsgroup is going
to, at the very least, require the exchange of a LOT of very precise
verbiage. Good luck!

"London Ed" wrote:

> All,
>
> I have the same issue. Vista connecting to a 2003 non-domain server share.
> Wired works fine, wireless has a problem (no issues with XP on the same
> machine). Wireless internet access is ok and pinging and seeing the share
> names on the 2003 Server seems fine. The issue shows when trying to open the
> share as seen in the original post below. Additional info:
>
> Remote Desktop to Windows Server 2003 also works fine with wired but not
> wireless.
>
> Creating a share on the Vista machine can be seen and browsed from other
> machines when the Vista machine is wireless only.
>
> Any help/thoughts would be welcome
>
> Ed
>

> "Peter" wrote:
>
> > Dear group,
> >
> > I've encounterd a strange problem when connecting to a network share from a
> > Vista client (laptop) over a Wireless connection. I'm confronted with the
> > following behaviour:
> >
> > After mapping the share as drive, when i right click on the assigned drive
> > letter in the explorer it shows me the properties of the drive like free
> > space available etc. I can even see the sub-directories from the root if
> > there are no or just a few files. When i browse to a subdirectory with files
> > in it then Vista is very busy and then after a few minutes the following
> > error is presented to me:

> > to use this network resource.
> >
> > Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
> > permissions.
> >
> > The specified network name is no longer available."
> >
> > Internet access over the wireless connection in Vista works great so i think
> > my network drivers all are working properly.
> >
> > What puzzels me is that when I connect to the same share from Vista over a
> > wired UTP connection there is absolutly now problem. Also the same connection
> > from Window XP over a wireless (same computer) also works without any
> > problem. I've also tried to connect from a different laptop also with Vista
> > Ultimate on it but it gave me the same problem.
> >
> > So the question is what could make my wireless connection in Windows Vista
> > so different from a UTP connection. I'm thinking of some special security
> > feature of Vista for wireless connections or could it be something on the
> > server?
> >
> > The network share is part of a Windows 2003 server (no domain).
> > The security properties of the share are as follows. Everyone full access on
> > both Network Sharing and NTFS level.
> >
> > I connect to the share with the administrator account of the Windows 2003
> > server.
> > The laptops i've used for this test are both multi-boot with Windows Vista
> > Ultimate & Windows XP SP2
> >
> > Peter

Pierre

Re: Connect to a share (wireless != wired)
I'm afraid I'm not going to be any help here as I too am experiencing
exactly the same issues. My feeling were that it might have something
to do with using a pre-shared key for wireless encryption (I have no
option as that is all my router allows me to do.) and NAP. Another
point is with Remote Desktop I can connect and the logon screen appears
and then get a message that the server terminated the connection, so it
does work on some level. Also again everything is fine with the wired
connection.

I am using the RTM build, I also switched off the firewall so feel
pretty sure it's not that.

Pierre

On 26 Jan, 11:12, London Ed <London E...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> All,
>
> I have the same issue. Vista connecting to a 2003 non-domain server share.
> Wired works fine, wireless has a problem (no issues with XP on the same
> machine). Wireless internet access is ok and pinging and seeing the share
> names on the 2003 Server seems fine. The issue shows when trying to open the
> share as seen in the original post below. Additional info:
>
> Remote Desktop to Windows Server 2003 also works fine with wired but not
> wireless.
>
> Creating a share on the Vista machine can be seen and browsed from other
> machines when the Vista machine is wireless only.
>
> Any help/thoughts would be welcome
>
> Ed
>
> "Peter" wrote:
> > Dear group,

> > I've encounterd a strange problem when connecting to a network share from a
> > Vista client (laptop) over a Wireless connection. I'm confronted with the
> > following behaviour:

> > After mapping the share as drive, when i right click on the assigned drive
> > letter in the explorer it shows me the properties of the drive like free
> > space available etc. I can even see the sub-directories from the root if
> > there are no or just a few files. When i browse to a subdirectory with files
> > in it then Vista is very busy and then after a few minutes the following
> > error is presented to me:

> > to use this network resource.

> > Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
> > permissions.

> > The specified network name is no longer available."

> > Internet access over the wireless connection in Vista works great so i think
> > my network drivers all are working properly.

> > What puzzels me is that when I connect to the same share from Vista over a
> > wired UTP connection there is absolutly now problem. Also the same connection
> > from Window XP over a wireless (same computer) also works without any
> > problem. I've also tried to connect from a different laptop also with Vista
> > Ultimate on it but it gave me the same problem.

> > So the question is what could make my wireless connection in Windows Vista
> > so different from a UTP connection. I'm thinking of some special security
> > feature of Vista for wireless connections or could it be something on the
> > server?

> > The network share is part of a Windows 2003 server (no domain).
> > The security properties of the share are as follows. Everyone full access on
> > both Network Sharing and NTFS level.

> > I connect to the share with the administrator account of the Windows 2003
> > server.
> > The laptops i've used for this test are both multi-boot with Windows Vista
> > Ultimate & Windows XP SP2

> > Peter

=?Utf-8?B?TG9uZG9uIEVk?=

Re: Connect to a share (wireless != wired)
I am also using RTM (Business Edition). I get the same symptoms using Remote
Desktop. The curious thing is that all is fine on wired which eliminates the
usual permissions suspicions. I have tried other things tonight such as
connect via \\ipaddress\share to eliminate DNS resolution issues. New info
below:

I can browse via wireless to a share on my Windows XP PC. Everything works
fine to my XP Professional PC as expected. So the problem is only with
wireless to Windows Server 2003. Wired to the same Windows Server 2003 is
fine.

Has anybody tried other things to eliminate the usual suspects? BTW, my
Windows 2003 is the original release with all updates (not R2).

Ed

"Pierre" wrote:

> [...]

> > > Ultimate on it but it gave me the same problem.

> > > So the question is what could make my wireless connection in Windows Vista
> > > so different from a UTP connection. I'm thinking of some special security
> > > feature of Vista for wireless connections or could it be something on the
> > > server?

> > > The network share is part of a Windows 2003 server (no domain).
> > > The security properties of the share are as follows. Everyone full access on
> > > both Network Sharing and NTFS level.

> > > I connect to the share with the administrator account of the Windows 2003
> > > server.
> > > The laptops i've used for this test are both multi-boot with Windows Vista
> > > Ultimate & Windows XP SP2

> > > Peter

=?Utf-8?B?TG9uZG9uIEVk?=

RE: Connect to a share (wireless != wired)
I have turned the firewall on and off to see if it made a difference.
Unfortunately the problem persists.

Ed

"jimmuh" wrote:

> [...]
> > > Ultimate on it but it gave me the same problem.
> > >
> > > So the question is what could make my wireless connection in Windows Vista
> > > so different from a UTP connection. I'm thinking of some special security
> > > feature of Vista for wireless connections or could it be something on the
> > > server?
> > >
> > > The network share is part of a Windows 2003 server (no domain).
> > > The security properties of the share are as follows. Everyone full access on
> > > both Network Sharing and NTFS level.
> > >
> > > I connect to the share with the administrator account of the Windows 2003
> > > server.
> > > The laptops i've used for this test are both multi-boot with Windows Vista
> > > Ultimate & Windows XP SP2
> > >
> > > Peter

=?Utf-8?B?TG9uZG9uIEVk?=

RE: Connect to a share (wireless != wired)
The plot thickens. I have reinstalled Vista on this machine (a Dell 9300)
and straight after onto my 4 year old son's Dell 500m. The news Dell 9300
still exhibits the problem but the old Dell 500m (with only 802.11b wireless)
has no issues connecting to shares on my Windows Server 2003.

So my 4 year old kid can do everything and I can't.

I'd hate this to be one of those obscure hardware/driver/software
combination things.

"London Ed" wrote:

> All,
>
> I have the same issue. Vista connecting to a 2003 non-domain server share.
> Wired works fine, wireless has a problem (no issues with XP on the same
> machine). Wireless internet access is ok and pinging and seeing the share
> names on the 2003 Server seems fine. The issue shows when trying to open the
> share as seen in the original post below. Additional info:
>
> Remote Desktop to Windows Server 2003 also works fine with wired but not
> wireless.
>
> Creating a share on the Vista machine can be seen and browsed from other
> machines when the Vista machine is wireless only.
>
> Any help/thoughts would be welcome
>
> Ed
>

> "Peter" wrote:
>
> > Dear group,
> >
> > I've encounterd a strange problem when connecting to a network share from a
> > Vista client (laptop) over a Wireless connection. I'm confronted with the
> > following behaviour:
> >
> > After mapping the share as drive, when i right click on the assigned drive
> > letter in the explorer it shows me the properties of the drive like free
> > space available etc. I can even see the sub-directories from the root if
> > there are no or just a few files. When i browse to a subdirectory with files
> > in it then Vista is very busy and then after a few minutes the following
> > error is presented to me:

> > to use this network resource.
> >
> > Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
> > permissions.
> >
> > The specified network name is no longer available."
> >
> > Internet access over the wireless connection in Vista works great so i think
> > my network drivers all are working properly.
> >
> > What puzzels me is that when I connect to the same share from Vista over a
> > wired UTP connection there is absolutly now problem. Also the same connection
> > from Window XP over a wireless (same computer) also works without any
> > problem. I've also tried to connect from a different laptop also with Vista
> > Ultimate on it but it gave me the same problem.
> >
> > So the question is what could make my wireless connection in Windows Vista
> > so different from a UTP connection. I'm thinking of some special security
> > feature of Vista for wireless connections or could it be something on the
> > server?
> >
> > The network share is part of a Windows 2003 server (no domain).
> > The security properties of the share are as follows. Everyone full access on
> > both Network Sharing and NTFS level.
> >
> > I connect to the share with the administrator account of the Windows 2003
> > server.
> > The laptops i've used for this test are both multi-boot with Windows Vista
> > Ultimate & Windows XP SP2
> >
> > Peter

=?Utf-8?B?TG9uZG9uIEVk?=

RE: Connect to a share (wireless != wired)
Still the same problem. I bought a Toshiba A100-338 laptop today and I still
have the same issue. I am starting to think it could be my BeBox ADSL 2+
router. I don't have spare ADSL router to try so I will have to update the
firmware and see if that makes a difference.

"London Ed" wrote:

> All,
>
> I have the same issue. Vista connecting to a 2003 non-domain server share.
> Wired works fine, wireless has a problem (no issues with XP on the same
> machine). Wireless internet access is ok and pinging and seeing the share
> names on the 2003 Server seems fine. The issue shows when trying to open the
> share as seen in the original post below. Additional info:
>
> Remote Desktop to Windows Server 2003 also works fine with wired but not
> wireless.
>
> Creating a share on the Vista machine can be seen and browsed from other
> machines when the Vista machine is wireless only.
>
> Any help/thoughts would be welcome
>
> Ed
>

> "Peter" wrote:
>
> > Dear group,
> >
> > I've encounterd a strange problem when connecting to a network share from a
> > Vista client (laptop) over a Wireless connection. I'm confronted with the
> > following behaviour:
> >
> > After mapping the share as drive, when i right click on the assigned drive
> > letter in the explorer it shows me the properties of the drive like free
> > space available etc. I can even see the sub-directories from the root if
> > there are no or just a few files. When i browse to a subdirectory with files
> > in it then Vista is very busy and then after a few minutes the following
> > error is presented to me:

> > to use this network resource.
> >
> > Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
> > permissions.
> >
> > The specified network name is no longer available."
> >
> > Internet access over the wireless connection in Vista works great so i think
> > my network drivers all are working properly.
> >
> > What puzzels me is that when I connect to the same share from Vista over a
> > wired UTP connection there is absolutly now problem. Also the same connection
> > from Window XP over a wireless (same computer) also works without any
> > problem. I've also tried to connect from a different laptop also with Vista
> > Ultimate on it but it gave me the same problem.
> >
> > So the question is what could make my wireless connection in Windows Vista
> > so different from a UTP connection. I'm thinking of some special security
> > feature of Vista for wireless connections or could it be something on the
> > server?
> >
> > The network share is part of a Windows 2003 server (no domain).
> > The security properties of the share are as follows. Everyone full access on
> > both Network Sharing and NTFS level.
> >
> > I connect to the share with the administrator account of the Windows 2003
> > server.
> > The laptops i've used for this test are both multi-boot with Windows Vista
> > Ultimate & Windows XP SP2
> >
> > Peter

Pierre

Re: Connect to a share (wireless != wired)
Hi,
I've not done much with this as I've been away but still have the
problem :-(. I installed Vista on a IBM T41 Thinkpad, and the wireless
worked fine with that. You just mentioned the BeBox router... I am
using the Speedtouch 716 router that Be supply also! I have the latest
firmware on there already though... I have a spare router and access
point that I have used ( just downgrades the download rates from Be)
but will try this and report back the results!

I have already tried limiting the wireless to 802.11b as that's what
the T41 was using successfuly, but my hp runs on 802.11g... this did
not make a difference for me though.

Pierre

On 5 Feb, 21:20, London Ed <Londo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Still the same problem. I bought a Toshiba A100-338 laptop today and I still
> have the same issue. I am starting to think it could be my BeBox ADSL 2+
> router. I don't have spare ADSL router to try so I will have to update the
> firmware and see if that makes a difference.

Pierre

Re: Connect to a share (wireless != wired)
OK I've taken the BeBox out of my network and I can now access my
network without issue over the wireless. I had a D-link wireless
router lying around, which I am now using. The only downside is my
download rate had halved

This does seem to point the fingure at an incompatibility with the
BeBox (Speedtouch) routers that Be supply.

Thanks for your help, was good to know I was not the only one!

Pierre