Re: Vista and IE7

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Vista and IE7
(cross-post added to Vista Networking)
"Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C38F0E76-D8F9-440E-934E-0C054C7BAF6A@microsoft.com...
> Not sure if anyone will be able to assist on this one but perhaps someone can
> point me in the right direction.
>
> I have an HP laptop that I loaded up with Windows Vista Ultimate from my
> TechNet Plus subscription. I also have a separate server machine that has
> Windows Server 2003 R2 setup on it. Both of those seem to be running fine
> for the most part. The laptop is where the issue comes in.
>
> On the Server machine I have WebSphere Application Server setup on it to
> host this iProducts package for my company. So far, every piece of it has
> been working fine when running in IE7 or earlier on an XP Platform. However,
> running with Vista's IE7, I can't access the site. It doesn't even seem to
> try to connect, it immediately bombs to the Cannot display page screen.

How do you know that? E.g. did you take a TCP/IP packet trace?

BTW which site? Did you flush the DNS cache to make sure
that the lookup is current? Is the current lookp correct? Etc.

A problem is that diagnostics in XP for this scenario are pathetic.
Are they any better in Vista? <eg> E.g. do you have the equivalent
of Tools, Diagnose Connection Problems... command?
(Ref. KB914440) What does it show?

If the problem is not related to DNS, FiddlerTool could show
you clearly if any response to IE's request is being returned.
Otherwise I would try a packet trace (assuming it really will
"try to connect" enough to make those diagnostics relevant.
I guess it also assumes that such tools still work in Vista. ; }
FWIW I use netcap and Ethereal for this in XP.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> I've done some searching on the Vista community forums and found a few
> things that sounded like it could fix the problem but haven't had any luck as
> of yet. Those things consisted of making sure the machine is up to date,
> setting SSL 2.0, and lowering site security settings and verifying it's in
> the trusted sites list.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts on other things to try?
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jason

=?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24=?=

Re: Vista and IE7
As best as I can tell from all the searching I've done is that it has
something to do with the headers that IE7 in Vista is reporting. To answer
your questions as to how I came to my assumptions is that on a standard XP or
Server 2003 machine I can get to the site without a problem. It's an
internal site being served up so unfortunately I can't get you a link to test
with. Now, what alleviates any DNS issues is that if I go to the default web
site then I get the little IBM HTTP Server Apache 2.0 default screen. The
actual product is installed in a subdirectory off of that. It's only when I
go to hit that specific web page that it doesn't go any further. Log files
have shown that its trying to go through and recognizes the attempts based on
the IP Address of my Vista machine that it leaves in the log. However it
doesn't return the page as I'd hoped it would. At this point it could be
something specific to the IBM Application that's running and not recognizing
it properly. Some things I've found on IBM's website suggest that they have
a fix for the problem even though it has not resolved it yet. So I'll have
to keep digging on this one. Thanks for the input though, it is appreciated.