Vista on SBS 2003

=?Utf-8?B?c2FsZXNndXk=?=

Vista on SBS 2003
Hello-

We currently have a project coming up that will involve joining 2 PCs
running Windows Vista Business edition onto a current Small Business Server
2003 domain. This will be our first experience with Vista outside of our
basic testing with RC 1. Can anyone point me in the direction of a white
paper or anything along those lines to explain how it's done? Thanks for any
help.
Kerry Brown

Re: Vista on SBS 2003
This is a pretty good rundown of the procedure.

http://seanda.blogspot.com/2006/08/l...-sbs-2003.html

Note that this was for a beta version. With the RTM version the
administrator account is disabled even in safe mode so you can skip that
step. I have found the best procedure is basically this.

Make sure DNS is pointing to the SBS server and nowhere else. Run IE by
using Run as administrator. Browse to http://servername/connectcomputer then
start the wizard. When prompted for an account after the reboot use a domain
administrator account. This will join the computer to the SBS domain and get
it in the right OU with group policy working. You won't be able to migrate
any profiles with the wizard and only the domain admins group will get added
to the local administrators group. This will cause a uac prompt every time
you logon except when using a domain admin account. You can fix this by
adding the domain user account to the local administrators group or by
disabling the default sbs logon script for that user. The logon script tries
to install service packs and any other assigned programs which causes the
uac prompt.

Microsoft is working on an update for SBS 2003 which should be available
shortly after Vista is released.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"salesguy" <mudshuvel@suscom.net> wrote in message
> Hello-
>
> We currently have a project coming up that will involve joining 2 PCs
> running Windows Vista Business edition onto a current Small Business
> Server
> 2003 domain. This will be our first experience with Vista outside of our
> basic testing with RC 1. Can anyone point me in the direction of a white
> paper or anything along those lines to explain how it's done? Thanks for
> any
> help.

Kerry Brown

Re: Vista on SBS 2003 - One more thing
If you are using SBS 2003 Premium with ISA server you will need the new
firewall client.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...5-66380743da89

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
http://www.vistahelp.ca

"salesguy" <mudshuvel@suscom.net> wrote in message
> Hello-
>
> We currently have a project coming up that will involve joining 2 PCs
> running Windows Vista Business edition onto a current Small Business
> Server
> 2003 domain. This will be our first experience with Vista outside of our
> basic testing with RC 1. Can anyone point me in the direction of a white
> paper or anything along those lines to explain how it's done? Thanks for
> any
> help.

Hollis 64 Paul

Re: Vista on SBS 2003
In article <35CC341C-FF2A-4C54-BCA0-8D56FB94A1C6@microsoft.com>, Salesguy wrote:
> We currently have a project coming up that will involve joining 2 PCs
> running Windows Vista Business edition onto a current Small Business Server
> 2003 domain. This will be our first experience with Vista outside of our
> basic testing with RC 1. Can anyone point me in the direction of a white
> paper or anything along those lines to explain how it's done? Thanks for any
> help.

You really should look up this entire thread. I haven't taken the time to
prepare it for my blog, so I will give you the essential message here:

*********************************

From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <charlie@mvKILLALLSPAMMERSps.org>

Subject: Re: How to connect a Vista Client to the domain?

Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 09:53:16 -0800

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

I don't have time or energy to read through the whole thread, I'm here

because Chris asked me to. So if some of this has been covered, sorry about

that. I'm on vacation and not supposed to be touching my computer, and

definitely no newsgroups.

1.) There is no official supported connectcomputer way to do this.

2.) That being said, I'm running it just fine. With one exception - you'll

need to disable the automatic program launcher that hits every SBS client on

every login. You don't want it on this box - it and UAC don't play nice

together. You can't disable it by computer, you can only do it by user, by

removing the SBS_LOGIN_SCRIPT.bat from the users Profile in ADUC.

3.) Disable the ISA RPC filter. It doesn't play well with anything x64.

( http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc...08/100096.aspx )

4.) Manually join to the domain, using standard Windows Server AD steps.

Well and thoroughly documented many places.

5.) Install the updated ISA client. It's now available on the MS download

site, see my blog for

details:http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc...y-isa-client-f
or-vista-and-xp-x64-releases.aspx

6.) If you don't for some reason want to run the ISA client, use DHCP

reservations and a custom IP address rule in ISA.

7.) Once the Vista x64 machine is joined to the domain, move it to the

proper SBS spot in AD, using ADUC and dragging it to the proper folders.

8.) While in ADUC, remove the SBS_LOGIN_SCRIPT.bat from the user's profile

that logs in to this computer.

9.) With R2, it _should_ get automatically added to WSUS, but if it doesn't,

manually add it. Note: there is an issue currently with getting updates

directly. Until there is an official Vista/SBS patch, you can only get WSUS

approved updates once you're part of an SBS domain and are running Vista -

you can't get to Windows update directly.

Sorry if turnaround will be slow here. You're welcome to ping me offline,

but I'm just not spending time on the newsgroups while I'm on vacation.

--

Charlie.

http://msmvps.com/xperts64

********************************

--

Hollis Paul
Mukilteo, WA USA

Hollis 64 Paul

Re: Vista on SBS 2003
In article <35CC341C-FF2A-4C54-BCA0-8D56FB94A1C6@microsoft.com>, Salesguy wrote:
> Can anyone point me in the direction of a white
> paper or anything along those lines to explain how it's done? Thanks for any
> help.

See also the edited SBS newsgroup thread at:

http://msmvps.com/blogs/obts/archive...03/467218.aspx

--

Hollis Paul
Mukilteo, WA USA