Cannot see workgroup computers

=?Utf-8?B?d3J0YmQ=?=

Cannot see workgroup computers
With WinVista RC1 Build 5600 installed, I cannot see any of the PCs in my
workgroup (all WinXP or Win2K). Within Vista, I have changed the name of the
workgroup to reflect the workgroup name. I have enabled discovery. I have
the network identified as a private network. I can ping all of the PCs on
the network, but Vista will not recognize them. I can get to the 'net (of
course). Within Services, LLTD keeps stopping. I have all of the
dependencies for LLTD started. I have the LLTD elements enabled in Group
Policy.
Can anyone offer a suggestion as to why LLTD keeps stopping and why I cannot
see any other elements of my workgroup? Thanks.
Mitch Roberson

Re: Cannot see workgroup computers
Do you have the LLDR (Link Layer Discovery Responder) installed on the
Windows XP machines?
"wrtbd" <wrtbd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> With WinVista RC1 Build 5600 installed, I cannot see any of the PCs in my
> workgroup (all WinXP or Win2K). Within Vista, I have changed the name of
> the
> workgroup to reflect the workgroup name. I have enabled discovery. I
> have
> the network identified as a private network. I can ping all of the PCs on
> the network, but Vista will not recognize them. I can get to the 'net (of
> course). Within Services, LLTD keeps stopping. I have all of the
> dependencies for LLTD started. I have the LLTD elements enabled in Group
> Policy.
> Can anyone offer a suggestion as to why LLTD keeps stopping and why I
> cannot
> see any other elements of my workgroup? Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?d3J0YmQ=?=

Re: Cannot see workgroup computers
Thanks for your response. No, I do not have LLDR installed on the XP
machines. Does this come with the RC1 Build? Will it allow workgroup
elements such as wireless print servers to be seen by Vista? Is LLDR
necessary for a Win2K machine to be seen by Vista?

"Mitch Roberson" wrote:

> Do you have the LLDR (Link Layer Discovery Responder) installed on the
> Windows XP machines?
> "wrtbd" <wrtbd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > With WinVista RC1 Build 5600 installed, I cannot see any of the PCs in my
> > workgroup (all WinXP or Win2K). Within Vista, I have changed the name of
> > the
> > workgroup to reflect the workgroup name. I have enabled discovery. I
> > have
> > the network identified as a private network. I can ping all of the PCs on
> > the network, but Vista will not recognize them. I can get to the 'net (of
> > course). Within Services, LLTD keeps stopping. I have all of the
> > dependencies for LLTD started. I have the LLTD elements enabled in Group
> > Policy.
> > Can anyone offer a suggestion as to why LLTD keeps stopping and why I
> > cannot
> > see any other elements of my workgroup? Thanks.

Jeff

Re: Cannot see workgroup computers
This may be what you're looking for?
if not, it'll show XP computers on Vista maps, and yup, install it in your
xp machines.

Jeff

> Thanks for your response. No, I do not have LLDR installed on the XP
> machines. Does this come with the RC1 Build? Will it allow workgroup
> elements such as wireless print servers to be seen by Vista? Is LLDR
> necessary for a Win2K machine to be seen by Vista?
>
> "Mitch Roberson" wrote:
>
>> Do you have the LLDR (Link Layer Discovery Responder) installed on the
>> Windows XP machines?
>> "wrtbd" <wrtbd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > With WinVista RC1 Build 5600 installed, I cannot see any of the PCs in
>> > my
>> > workgroup (all WinXP or Win2K). Within Vista, I have changed the name
>> > of
>> > the
>> > workgroup to reflect the workgroup name. I have enabled discovery. I
>> > have
>> > the network identified as a private network. I can ping all of the PCs
>> > on
>> > the network, but Vista will not recognize them. I can get to the 'net
>> > (of
>> > course). Within Services, LLTD keeps stopping. I have all of the
>> > dependencies for LLTD started. I have the LLTD elements enabled in
>> > Group
>> > Policy.
>> > Can anyone offer a suggestion as to why LLTD keeps stopping and why I
>> > cannot
>> > see any other elements of my workgroup? Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?d3J0YmQ=?=

Re: Cannot see workgroup computers
Thanks for your reply and the URL. I installed LLDR on an XP box, rebooted
both machines and still cannot see the XP box or anything else in the
workgroup.

"Jeff" wrote:

> This may be what you're looking for?
> if not, it'll show XP computers on Vista maps, and yup, install it in your
> xp machines.

> Jeff
>
> "wrtbd" <wrtbd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for your response. No, I do not have LLDR installed on the XP
> > machines. Does this come with the RC1 Build? Will it allow workgroup
> > elements such as wireless print servers to be seen by Vista? Is LLDR
> > necessary for a Win2K machine to be seen by Vista?
> >
> > "Mitch Roberson" wrote:
> >
> >> Do you have the LLDR (Link Layer Discovery Responder) installed on the
> >> Windows XP machines?

Jeff

Re: Cannot see workgroup computers
sorry,
it was a thought
in vista-the default workgroup is "workgroup"
and in xp it's "mshome"
ya prolly already know that-but ya might wanna chk that;
other than that;
I give-vista and xp on a lan-see all of my machines

Jeff

> Thanks for your reply and the URL. I installed LLDR on an XP box,
> rebooted
> both machines and still cannot see the XP box or anything else in the
> workgroup.
>
> "Jeff" wrote:
>
>> This may be what you're looking for?
>> if not, it'll show XP computers on Vista maps, and yup, install it in
>> your
>> xp machines.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
>>
>> Jeff
>>
>> "wrtbd" <wrtbd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for your response. No, I do not have LLDR installed on the XP
>> > machines. Does this come with the RC1 Build? Will it allow workgroup
>> > elements such as wireless print servers to be seen by Vista? Is LLDR
>> > necessary for a Win2K machine to be seen by Vista?

Mitch Roberson

Re: Cannot see workgroup computers
Are they all on the same subnet. LLDP is not a routable protocol so it is
just a thought.
"Jeff" <S.Cerevisiae@duh.edu> wrote in message
> sorry,
> it was a thought
> in vista-the default workgroup is "workgroup"
> and in xp it's "mshome"
> ya prolly already know that-but ya might wanna chk that;
> other than that;
> I give-vista and xp on a lan-see all of my machines
>
> Jeff
>
> "wrtbd" <wrtbd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for your reply and the URL. I installed LLDR on an XP box,
>> rebooted
>> both machines and still cannot see the XP box or anything else in the
>> workgroup.
>>
>> "Jeff" wrote:
>>
>>> This may be what you're looking for?
>>> if not, it'll show XP computers on Vista maps, and yup, install it in
>>> your
>>> xp machines.
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
>>>
>>> Jeff

Bruce Sanderson

Re: Cannot see workgroup computers
Do you mean "can't see" under Network in Explorer or something else?

In Start, Run, key \\othercomputername and press Enter. What happens?

If you haven't already, try enabling NetBIOS over TCP/IP (network connection
Properties, Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), Properties, Advanced...,
WINS).

Vista can interoperate with XP and 2003 computers that do not have the LLTD
Responder installed. Adding the LLTD Responder
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en)
will allow XP computers to appear in the "Network Map", but is not required
for "normal" interoperability.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders

"wrtbd" <wrtbd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> With WinVista RC1 Build 5600 installed, I cannot see any of the PCs in my
> workgroup (all WinXP or Win2K). Within Vista, I have changed the name of
> the
> workgroup to reflect the workgroup name. I have enabled discovery. I
> have
> the network identified as a private network. I can ping all of the PCs on
> the network, but Vista will not recognize them. I can get to the 'net (of
> course). Within Services, LLTD keeps stopping. I have all of the
> dependencies for LLTD started. I have the LLTD elements enabled in Group
> Policy.
> Can anyone offer a suggestion as to why LLTD keeps stopping and why I
> cannot
> see any other elements of my workgroup? Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?Qy4gQnJpdHRvbg==?=

Re: Cannot see workgroup computers
I am not offering a solution. I only want to say that I have the exact same
problem on my system using RC-1 x64. I have taken every precaution mentioned
in this thread and I still can't get around the problem. I even went so far
as to disable the firewall in my router in case it was the culprit. That
didn't work either.

One thing I am able to do that I didn't see mentioned here is that I can see
and access shared folders on the Vista machine from both the XP and the
Windows 2000 machines on the network. In other words I have one-way network
traffic only.

And, no I can't see the other machines anywhere in Vista, not just in
Windows Explorer.

"Bruce Sanderson" wrote:

> Do you mean "can't see" under Network in Explorer or something else?
>
> In Start, Run, key \\othercomputername and press Enter. What happens?
>
> If you haven't already, try enabling NetBIOS over TCP/IP (network connection
> Properties, Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), Properties, Advanced...,
> WINS).
>
> Vista can interoperate with XP and 2003 computers that do not have the LLTD
> Responder installed. Adding the LLTD Responder
> (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en)
> will allow XP computers to appear in the "Network Map", but is not required
> for "normal" interoperability.
>
> --
> Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders
>
> It is perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.
>

> "wrtbd" <wrtbd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > With WinVista RC1 Build 5600 installed, I cannot see any of the PCs in my
> > workgroup (all WinXP or Win2K). Within Vista, I have changed the name of
> > the
> > workgroup to reflect the workgroup name. I have enabled discovery. I
> > have
> > the network identified as a private network. I can ping all of the PCs on
> > the network, but Vista will not recognize them. I can get to the 'net (of
> > course). Within Services, LLTD keeps stopping. I have all of the
> > dependencies for LLTD started. I have the LLTD elements enabled in Group
> > Policy.
> > Can anyone offer a suggestion as to why LLTD keeps stopping and why I
> > cannot
> > see any other elements of my workgroup? Thanks.

Bruce Sanderson

Re: Cannot see workgroup computers
Hmm, puzzling. Quite a large number of problems were corrected between RC1
and RTM, including some relating to networking.

If you haven't already try:
1. click Start, Run
2. key
\\XPComputerName\ShareName
press Enter

Usually, you may get you a prompt for credentials, but you should get an
Explorer window showing the content of the target share.