login trouble

=?Utf-8?B?d293?=

login trouble
Hi,
I'm trying to connect to a server in the office by double clicking on it in
the Network window. We do not use a Domain in this office. Every time I try
to enter my user name and password the username is automatically prepended
with 'Barton-Vista\', and the login fails.

How do I get Vista to stop adding these words to the username?
Mitch Roberson

Re: login trouble
Try appending the Server name to your login name

i.e. servername\username

"wow" <wow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm trying to connect to a server in the office by double clicking on it
> in
> the Network window. We do not use a Domain in this office. Every time I
> try
> to enter my user name and password the username is automatically prepended
> with 'Barton-Vista\', and the login fails.
>
> How do I get Vista to stop adding these words to the username?

=?Utf-8?B?d293?=

Re: login trouble
Thanks for the help, but this did not work.

Anyone have any other ideas?

"Mitch Roberson" wrote:

> Try appending the Server name to your login name
>
> i.e. servername\username
>

> "wow" <wow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I'm trying to connect to a server in the office by double clicking on it
> > in
> > the Network window. We do not use a Domain in this office. Every time I
> > try
> > to enter my user name and password the username is automatically prepended
> > with 'Barton-Vista\', and the login fails.
> >
> > How do I get Vista to stop adding these words to the username?

=?Utf-8?B?d293?=

Login trouble - the solutioin.
To enable Windows Vista to connect to Mac OS X with Windows File Sharing
enabled, you will need to change the following policy in Windows Vista:

1. Click the Start Orb, type gpedit.msc into the Start Search field, and
press Enter

Click the Continue button on the User Account Control prompt.
This will launch the Group Policy Object Editor for the Local Computer
Policy.

2. In the Group Policy Object Editor, expand:

-> Computer Configuration
-> Windows Settings
-> Security Settings
-> Local Policies
-> Security Options
3. Open the 'Network security: LAN Manager authentication level' policy and
change the Security Setting to:

Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated

4. Click the OK button to save changes, and then close the Group Policy
Object Editor.

Thanks for playing so nicely with others. God I hate Microsoft!
George

Re: Login trouble - the solutioin.
Thanks. Been trying to login for months

On 1/8/07 4:54 PM, in article
6CAF90FC-7878-45DC-8150-91390AC1381B@microsoft.com, "wow"
<wow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> To enable Windows Vista to connect to Mac OS X with Windows File Sharing
> enabled, you will need to change the following policy in Windows Vista:
>
> 1. Click the Start Orb, type gpedit.msc into the Start Search field, and
> press Enter
>
> Click the Continue button on the User Account Control prompt.
> This will launch the Group Policy Object Editor for the Local Computer
> Policy.
>
> 2. In the Group Policy Object Editor, expand:
>
> -> Computer Configuration
> -> Windows Settings
> -> Security Settings
> -> Local Policies
> -> Security Options
> 3. Open the 'Network security: LAN Manager authentication level' policy and
> change the Security Setting to:
>
> Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated
>
> 4. Click the OK button to save changes, and then close the Group Policy
> Object Editor.
>
> Thanks for playing so nicely with others. God I hate Microsoft!

=?Utf-8?B?ZHJlZGQ=?=

RE: Login trouble - the solutioin.
just want to let you know that this solved my issue as well. thank you for
such a helpful post.