Dial-up Networking Questions

=?Utf-8?B?RWQgR293ZW4=?=

Dial-up Networking Questions
Vista Business Edition - MSDN-AA Registered
Dell Latitude D810 Laptop
Computer is member of a Windows Active Directory based domain at work

Dial-up networking was relatively easy to setup but seems to be working a
bit strangely - comapred to XP and previous versions. I'd like comments on
the following issues:

1. - Animation in the system tray, that works when locally connected to our
business LAN, does not indicate any sent or received data when connected
using dial-up.

2. - Name of connection in the system tray does not indicate the dial-up
connection is in use but indicates that the normal domain LAN connection is
present.

3. - No indication of dial-up connect speed on the system tray icon. I can
get this via "Network and Sharing Center" and then "view status" but that is
a long way to go compared to previously just hovering over the system tray
icon.

We are trying to get started on training classes for Georgia Pre-K - 12
Teacher, Administrator and System Support training for Vista.

Thanks,

Ed Gowen
Macon State College
Educational Technology Training Center
=?Utf-8?B?RWQgR293ZW4=?=

RE: Dial-up Networking Questions
Also: Under XP we experienced normal dial / connect sounds when the
connection was being established. Under Vista, there is no sound even though
the dialog boxes indicate that sound is enabled and we have normal other
sounds.

"Ed Gowen" wrote:

> Vista Business Edition - MSDN-AA Registered
> Dell Latitude D810 Laptop
> Computer is member of a Windows Active Directory based domain at work
>
> Dial-up networking was relatively easy to setup but seems to be working a
> bit strangely - comapred to XP and previous versions. I'd like comments on
> the following issues:
>
> 1. - Animation in the system tray, that works when locally connected to our
> business LAN, does not indicate any sent or received data when connected
> using dial-up.
>
> 2. - Name of connection in the system tray does not indicate the dial-up
> connection is in use but indicates that the normal domain LAN connection is
> present.
>
> 3. - No indication of dial-up connect speed on the system tray icon. I can
> get this via "Network and Sharing Center" and then "view status" but that is
> a long way to go compared to previously just hovering over the system tray
> icon.
>
> We are trying to get started on training classes for Georgia Pre-K - 12
> Teacher, Administrator and System Support training for Vista.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ed Gowen
> Macon State College
> Educational Technology Training Center

Malke

Ed Gowen wrote:

> Vista Business Edition - MSDN-AA Registered
> Dell Latitude D810 Laptop
> Computer is member of a Windows Active Directory based domain at work
>
> Dial-up networking was relatively easy to setup but seems to be working a
> bit strangely - comapred to XP and previous versions. I'd like comments
> on the following issues:
>
> 1. - Animation in the system tray, that works when locally connected to
> our business LAN, does not indicate any sent or received data when
> connected using dial-up.
>
> 2. - Name of connection in the system tray does not indicate the dial-up
> connection is in use but indicates that the normal domain LAN connection
> is present.
>
> 3. - No indication of dial-up connect speed on the system tray icon. I
> can get this via "Network and Sharing Center" and then "view status" but
> that is a long way to go compared to previously just hovering over the
> system tray icon.
>
> We are trying to get started on training classes for Georgia Pre-K - 12
> Teacher, Administrator and System Support training for Vista.

Did you install the Dell drivers for Vista? If you didn't, that would
explain why things aren't working correctly. Here's a link to Vista drivers
on the Dell site for the Latitude D810:

http://tinyurl.com/ymvf69

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
=?Utf-8?B?RWQgR293ZW4=?=

Re: Dial-up Networking Questions
Malke,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I loaded all the available Dell drivers. In
fact, I visited Dell's http://support.dell.com website before installing
Vista (Clean) and updated the BIOS and securred all the available drivers.
It should be noted that there was no Dell supplied driver update for the
Conexant D110 MDC V.92 Modem or the Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Netwaork
Adapter.

Ed Gowen

"Malke" wrote:

> Ed Gowen wrote:
>
> > Vista Business Edition - MSDN-AA Registered
> > Dell Latitude D810 Laptop
> > Computer is member of a Windows Active Directory based domain at work
> >
> > Dial-up networking was relatively easy to setup but seems to be working a
> > bit strangely - comapred to XP and previous versions. I'd like comments
> > on the following issues:
> >
> > 1. - Animation in the system tray, that works when locally connected to
> > our business LAN, does not indicate any sent or received data when
> > connected using dial-up.
> >
> > 2. - Name of connection in the system tray does not indicate the dial-up
> > connection is in use but indicates that the normal domain LAN connection
> > is present.
> >
> > 3. - No indication of dial-up connect speed on the system tray icon. I
> > can get this via "Network and Sharing Center" and then "view status" but
> > that is a long way to go compared to previously just hovering over the
> > system tray icon.
> >
> > We are trying to get started on training classes for Georgia Pre-K - 12
> > Teacher, Administrator and System Support training for Vista.

> Did you install the Dell drivers for Vista? If you didn't, that would
> explain why things aren't working correctly. Here's a link to Vista drivers
> on the Dell site for the Latitude D810:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ymvf69
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?TkhfY3VzdG9tcGNkZXNpZ24=?=

RE: Dial-up Networking Questions
I have noticed the same EXACT symptoms, as well. I live in a bandwidth
challenged area. No Cable is available. No DSL is available. Copper out
here is so bad that we're LUCKY to connect at 28.8 (on a good day).

For these reasons, it is a critical tool to see connection activity
animations (ie. blinking screens on the network icon), and the see connection
speed on hover. Even the new Vista dialup dialog screen only tells me that I
have successfully connected, but offers no connection speed, etc.

I'm sure this was left out intentionally, as the computer industry EXPECTS
us to phase out dialup and opt for high-speed internet... but have some
sympathy for those of us with no options.

Is it possible to request an update to DUN for Vista, which would bring back
the functionality found in previous Windows editions?