network discovery keeps turning off

=?Utf-8?B?SmF5?=

network discovery keeps turning off
Windows Vista Ultimate keeps turning off network discovery. I turn it on and
some time later, I find it turned off. I haven't been able to make a backup
of my system because it keeps turning off in the middle of the backup and
screwing up my network connection.

What could be causing this?
Travasaurus

Re: network discovery keeps turning off

::I'm having this exact same problem too, with a brand new Dell Vostro
200 running Vista Business 32bit.::

::Fresh load of the OEM Vista software, from \"Fdisk\" on up, so it's
not due to a lot of Dell pre-loaded crapware.::

::I have a 4-year-old Dell Dimension with a retail version of Vista
Business on it that hasn't missed a beat, with no hint of the problem.::

::They're both connected to the same Linksys router, so that's not it,
either.::

::Is there a registry hack to keep Network Discovery turned on at all
times, plus permanently set to \"Home\" and \"Private\" network?::

::At this point I have no need of anything but those settings, so why
bother with the \"detection\" part of it each time I reboot?::

::Awaiting some good MVP out there to drop the answer on us...::

::Thanks::

--
Travasaurus
Brink

Travasaurus;637845 Wrote:
> ::I'm having this exact same problem too, with a brand new Dell Vostro
> 200 running Vista Business 32bit.::
>
> ::Fresh load of the OEM Vista software, from \"Fdisk\" on up, so it's
> not due to a lot of Dell pre-loaded crapware.::
>
> ::I have a 4-year-old Dell Dimension with a retail version of Vista
> Business on it that hasn't missed a beat, with no hint of the problem.::
>
> ::They're both connected to the same Linksys router, so that's not it,
> either.::
>
> ::Is there a registry hack to keep Network Discovery turned on at all
> times, plus permanently set to \"Home\" and \"Private\" network?::
>
> ::At this point I have no need of anything but those settings, so why
> bother with the \"detection\" part of it each time I reboot?::
>
> ::Awaiting some good MVP out there to drop the answer on us...::
>
> ::Thanks::

Hi Jay and Travasaurus,

You might see if this can help you below. Double check you "Network
Location Type" for it to be set as "Private".

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/12...-turn-off.html

Shawn

--
Brink

'*Vista x64 Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
charly

RE: network discovery keeps turning off - my solution
"unknown" wrote: network discovery keeps turning off"

> I had the same problem sharing file and printer turned off after reboot.

This solution helps (for me):
- Start mmc.exe from console prompt.
- Select File/Add Windows Firewall extended snapin.
- Double click Windows Firewall
- Select all predefined incoming and outgoing rules for file and printer
sharing and activate all of them (for each scope: private, domain, public).
- Done.
I did the same for remote desktop rules, since I want to use remote desktop.

I do not know wheter this is a good idea, it just helps. But there might be
some security vulnerabilities doing so. I would appreciate some comment from
a networking guy.

The problem occured after I installed VMWare 6 on my machine. This installs
a Network for vor the virtual maachines, which is viewed as a public network.
I tried to switch it to private, but it was turned back to public after
reboot.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: network discovery keeps turning off - my solution
It could be the 3rd party software too. This post may help.

network discovery is turned offuntil I reboot and then again, I get a notice
that Network discovery is turned off if I try to browse the network. My
other Vista (X86) does not have this ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...30d78 e25666b

"charly" <charly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> "unknown" wrote: network discovery keeps turning off"
>
>> I had the same problem sharing file and printer turned off after reboot.

> This solution helps (for me):
> - Start mmc.exe from console prompt.
> - Select File/Add Windows Firewall extended snapin.
> - Double click Windows Firewall
> - Select all predefined incoming and outgoing rules for file and printer
> sharing and activate all of them (for each scope: private, domain,
> public).
> - Done.
> I did the same for remote desktop rules, since I want to use remote
> desktop.
>
> I do not know wheter this is a good idea, it just helps. But there might
> be
> some security vulnerabilities doing so. I would appreciate some comment
> from
> a networking guy.
>
> The problem occured after I installed VMWare 6 on my machine. This
> installs
> a Network for vor the virtual maachines, which is viewed as a public
> network.
> I tried to switch it to private, but it was turned back to public after
> reboot.

LPent

Re: network discovery keeps turning off

I had this problem too for a while until I discovered that the service
"Function Discovery Provider Host" was set to "Manual". After I had set
it to "Automatic" network discovery stayed ON.

--
LPent
LPent

Re: network discovery keeps turning off

Oops I was a bit quick to think I had solved it. The problem is here:

Go to administrative tools > firewall with advanced security.
Click "inbound rules" then on the right "filter by profile" > "filter
by private profile"
Next find all the "Network discovery ..." items. You will see that the
SSDP-In and the UPnP-In are not enabled.
When you enable these; network discovery will automatically turn back
on again. Unfortunatly after a reset or a reboot, they turn back off
again. When you double-click these items it says "this is a predefined
rule and some of its properties cannot be modified" I am not sure this
is why it keeps turning off.
If someone knows to to make the "enabled" option permanent I would be
much obliged.

--
LPent
LPent

Re: network discovery keeps turning off

I finally did find the solution (for real this time, lol) it was staring
me in the face all the way.
Just disable uPnP on your router and network discovery remains ON. This
may resolve other issues you have with your connection as well (like
slow speed and random disconnects)

--
LPent
John Rotton

RE: network discovery keeps turning off
Has anyone found an answer to this?

I'm having the same issue on both my desktop (Vista 32-bit) and notebook
(Vista 64-bit). Both of these are Domain members, and both have VMware
installed. After every reboot, Network Discovery is turned off. This is not
just an annoyance but a real problem since some automated processes run
occasionally that rely on the desktop being available for file copies, and
unless I check the discovery status all the time it's prone to failure.

Disabling UPnP on the router as suggested above had no effect. I've even
diasabled the Windows Firewall and still Network Discovery turns itself off.
Any ideas? Is it related to VMWare as suggested elsewhere?
LPent

Re: network discovery keeps turning off

I can't imagine it having anything to do with VMWare as a lot of people
seem to be having this problem. Most of whom do not have VMWare and are
not a member of a domain.
One other solution I came across was to disable IPv6, but that didn't
work for me (maybe it will for you).
I have come to think that the solution to this problem is indeed not
with IPv6 or uPNP even though it does seem to work for some (like me).
I have yet to see MS address this problem as I cannot find a reference
to it anywhere on their KB.

--
LPent