No access to network shares over VPN from Vista

msnews.microsoft.com

No access to network shares over VPN from Vista
Dear experts

I have a problem accessing any network shares from "outside the LAN" "Windos
Server 2003"-systems with a "Windows Vista"-system:

Detailed description:
I have a LAN behind a ADSL-Router and in this LAN there are
Vista-Vista-WS1: A Windows Vista Business Edition x64 (English)(current
patch level)
Vista-WS2: A Windows Vista Business Edition x86 (German)(current
patch level)
Vista-WS3: A Windows Vista Business Edition x86 (English)(current
patch level) in a Virtual Machine
XP-WS: A Windows XP Professional Edition x86
(English)(current patch level)
Srv-LAN: A Windows Server 2003 R2 x86 (English)(current patch
level) in a Virtual Machine
The Windows Server is configured as domain
controller, VPN-Server, DNS-Server, File-Server

I have a workplace environment in another site which can be accessed over
VPN:
DC-WAN: A Windows Server 2003 R2 x86 (English)(current patch
level) as Domain Controller
Exchange-WAN: A Windows Server 2003 R2 x86 (English)(current patch level) as
Exchange Server
FS-WAN: A Windows Server 2003 R2 x86 (English)(current patch
level) as File Server
VPN-WAN: A Windows Server 2003 R2 x86 (English)(current patch
level) as VPN-Server
Web-WAN: A Windows Server 2003 R2 x86 (English)(current patch
level) as Web-Server

Vista-WS1, Vista-WS2, Vista-WS3, XP-WS
can successfully connect over VPN with Srv-LAN and can
successfully map any share from Srv-LAN
Vista-WS1, Vista-WS2, Vista-WS3, XP-WS can successfully connect over VPN
with VPN-WAN
Vista-WS1, Vista-WS2, Vista-WS3, XP-WS can successfully connect with the
Exchange Server Exchange-WAN
Vista-WS1, Vista-WS2, Vista-WS3, XP-WS can successfully connect with the Web
Server Web-WAN
Vista-WS1, Vista-WS2, Vista-WS3 always fail to map any share from FS-WAN
XP-WS can successfully map any share from FS-WAN

Error messages:
c:\> net use x: \\<fqdn>\share
"System error 1214 has occured. The format of the specified network name is
invalid."
c:\> net use x: \\<NetBIOS-Name>\share
"System error 53 has occured. The network path was not found."
c:\> net use x: \\<IP-address>\share
"System error 53 has occured. The network path was not found."

Any ideas?
Thanks for your support in advance!

Dear regards and a happy new year... :-)

Robert Fischer

msnews.microsoft.com

Re: No access to network shares over VPN from Vista
Sorry for wrong "From" and bad formatting!
I try it once again!

Robert Fischer

Rolf Barbakken

Re: No access to network shares over VPN from Vista
No ideas, I'm afraid, but you are not alone. Many others experience the
same. Search this NG for my enquiry into the same problem.

--
Rolf

"msnews.microsoft.com" <robert.fischer@informatik.fh-nuernberg.de> wrote in
message news:uNovg0dLHHA.3952@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Dear experts
>

> I have a problem accessing any network shares from "outside the LAN"
> "Windos Server 2003"-systems with a "Windows Vista"-system:
>
> Detailed description:
> I have a LAN behind a ADSL-Router and in this LAN there are
> Vista-Vista-WS1: A Windows Vista Business Edition x64 (English)(current
> patch level)
> Vista-WS2: A Windows Vista Business Edition x86 (German)(current
> patch level)
> Vista-WS3: A Windows Vista Business Edition x86
> (English)(current patch level) in a Virtual Machine
> XP-WS: A Windows XP Professional Edition x86
> (English)(current patch level)
> Srv-LAN: A Windows Server 2003 R2 x86 (English)(current
> patch level) in a Virtual Machine
> The Windows Server is configured as domain
> controller, VPN-Server, DNS-Server, File-Server
>
> I have a workplace environment in another site which can be accessed over
> VPN:
> DC-WAN: A Windows Server 2003 R2 x86 (English)(current patch
> level) as Domain Controller
> Exchange-WAN: A Windows Server 2003 R2 x86 (English)(current patch level)
> as Exchange Server
> FS-WAN: A Windows Server 2003 R2 x86 (English)(current patch
> level) as File Server
> VPN-WAN: A Windows Server 2003 R2 x86 (English)(current patch
> level) as VPN-Server
> Web-WAN: A Windows Server 2003 R2 x86 (English)(current patch
> level) as Web-Server
>
> Vista-WS1, Vista-WS2, Vista-WS3, XP-WS
> can successfully connect over VPN with Srv-LAN and can
> successfully map any share from Srv-LAN
> Vista-WS1, Vista-WS2, Vista-WS3, XP-WS can successfully connect over VPN
> with VPN-WAN
> Vista-WS1, Vista-WS2, Vista-WS3, XP-WS can successfully connect with the
> Exchange Server Exchange-WAN
> Vista-WS1, Vista-WS2, Vista-WS3, XP-WS can successfully connect with the
> Web Server Web-WAN
> Vista-WS1, Vista-WS2, Vista-WS3 always fail to map any share from FS-WAN
> XP-WS can successfully map any share from FS-WAN
>

> Error messages:
> c:\> net use x: \\<fqdn>\share
> "System error 1214 has occured. The format of the specified network name
> is invalid."
> c:\> net use x: \\<NetBIOS-Name>\share
> "System error 53 has occured. The network path was not found."
> c:\> net use x: \\<IP-address>\share
> "System error 53 has occured. The network path was not found."
>

> Any ideas?
> Thanks for your support in advance!
>
> Dear regards and a happy new year... :-)
>

> Robert Fischer

=?Utf-8?B?U3R1YXJ0IFtNVlBd?=

Re: No access to network shares over VPN from Vista
The article below may (or may not) be related to your problem. Take a look
and let us know:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/899148/en-us

Regards,

Stuart.
----------

"Rolf Barbakken" wrote:

> No ideas, I'm afraid, but you are not alone. Many others experience the
> same. Search this NG for my enquiry into the same problem.
>
> --
> Rolf
>

> "msnews.microsoft.com" <robert.fischer@informatik.fh-nuernberg.de> wrote in
> message news:uNovg0dLHHA.3952@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> > Dear experts
> >

> > I have a problem accessing any network shares from "outside the LAN"
> > "Windos Server 2003"-systems with a "Windows Vista"-system:
> >
> > Detailed description:
> > I have a LAN behind a ADSL-Router and in this LAN there are
> > Vista-Vista-WS1: A Windows Vista Business Edition x64 (English)(current
> > patch level)
> > Vista-WS2: A Windows Vista Business Edition x86 (German)(current
> > patch level)
> > Vista-WS3: A Windows Vista Business Edition x86
> > (English)(current patch level) in a Virtual Machine
> > XP-WS: A Windows XP Professional Edition x86
> > (English)(current patch level)
> > Srv-LAN: A Windows Server 2003 R2 x86 (English)(current
> > patch level) in a Virtual Machine
> > The Windows Server is configured as domain
> > controller, VPN-Server, DNS-Server, File-Server
> >
> > I have a workplace environment in another site which can be accessed over
> > VPN:
> > DC-WAN: A Windows Server 2003 R2 x86 (English)(current patch
> > level) as Domain Controller
> > Exchange-WAN: A Windows Server 2003 R2 x86 (English)(current patch level)
> > as Exchange Server
> > FS-WAN: A Windows Server 2003 R2 x86 (English)(current patch
> > level) as File Server
> > VPN-WAN: A Windows Server 2003 R2 x86 (English)(current patch
> > level) as VPN-Server
> > Web-WAN: A Windows Server 2003 R2 x86 (English)(current patch
> > level) as Web-Server
> >
> > Vista-WS1, Vista-WS2, Vista-WS3, XP-WS
> > can successfully connect over VPN with Srv-LAN and can
> > successfully map any share from Srv-LAN
> > Vista-WS1, Vista-WS2, Vista-WS3, XP-WS can successfully connect over VPN
> > with VPN-WAN
> > Vista-WS1, Vista-WS2, Vista-WS3, XP-WS can successfully connect with the
> > Exchange Server Exchange-WAN
> > Vista-WS1, Vista-WS2, Vista-WS3, XP-WS can successfully connect with the
> > Web Server Web-WAN
> > Vista-WS1, Vista-WS2, Vista-WS3 always fail to map any share from FS-WAN
> > XP-WS can successfully map any share from FS-WAN
> >

> > Error messages:
> > c:\> net use x: \\<fqdn>\share
> > "System error 1214 has occured. The format of the specified network name
> > is invalid."
> > c:\> net use x: \\<NetBIOS-Name>\share
> > "System error 53 has occured. The network path was not found."
> > c:\> net use x: \\<IP-address>\share
> > "System error 53 has occured. The network path was not found."
> >

> > Any ideas?
> > Thanks for your support in advance!
> >
> > Dear regards and a happy new year... :-)
> >

> > Robert Fischer

Robert Fischer

Re: No access to network shares over VPN from Vista
Hello Stuart

Thanks for your suggestion but k899148 doesn┤t solve the problem:
I┤m working with static packet filters (netsh ipsec static) and I┤ve opened
all ports on the filesserver FS-WAN for the VPN-Server VPN-WAN.
The local Server Srv-LAN has the same packet filter configuration ref. VPN.
All Vista Workstations located as domain members in my workplace environment
don┤t have any problems and they find exactly the same opened ports!

I┤m looking forward to find a solution...
Best regards

Robert

"Stuart [MVP]" <StuartMVP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The article below may (or may not) be related to your problem. Take a look
> and let us know:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/899148/en-us
>
> Regards,
>
> Stuart.

=?Utf-8?B?U3R1YXJ0IFtNVlBd?=

Re: No access to network shares over VPN from Vista
Here's the only other thing I can think of...

Windows Vista's TCP/IP stack has new auto-tuning algorithms that
automatically and dynamically adapt the TCP receive windows to the properties
of the network path between the endpoints. This allows the stack to fully
utilize the bandwidth between two endpoints (especially in high-delay
conditions) and dynamically adapt to changing bandwidth and delay
characteristics. But some network devices (older / without recent firmware)
may not support this and drop some / all of your packets on the floor!

You can disable auto-tuning via NETSH to see if it's affecting your ability
to connect across non-compliant network devices (and there are some!).

Stuart.
-----------

"Robert Fischer" wrote:

> Hello Stuart
>
> Thanks for your suggestion but k899148 doesn┬┤t solve the problem:
> I┬┤m working with static packet filters (netsh ipsec static) and I┬┤ve opened
> all ports on the filesserver FS-WAN for the VPN-Server VPN-WAN.
> The local Server Srv-LAN has the same packet filter configuration ref. VPN.
> All Vista Workstations located as domain members in my workplace environment
> don┬┤t have any problems and they find exactly the same opened ports!
>
> I┬┤m looking forward to find a solution...
> Best regards
>

> Robert
>
> "Stuart [MVP]" <StuartMVP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The article below may (or may not) be related to your problem. Take a look
> > and let us know:
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/899148/en-us
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Stuart.

Robert Fischer

Re: No access to network shares over VPN from Vista
Hello Stuart

Thanks for your response!
No way, it doesn┤t work!
I┤ve decided to use a Microsoft support incident; I will let you know about
the results...

> Here's the only other thing I can think of...
>
> Windows Vista's TCP/IP stack has new auto-tuning algorithms that
> automatically and dynamically adapt the TCP receive windows to the
> properties
> of the network path between the endpoints. This allows the stack to fully
> utilize the bandwidth between two endpoints (especially in high-delay
> conditions) and dynamically adapt to changing bandwidth and delay
> characteristics. But some network devices (older / without recent
> firmware)
> may not support this and drop some / all of your packets on the floor!
>
> You can disable auto-tuning via NETSH to see if it's affecting your
> ability
> to connect across non-compliant network devices (and there are some!).
>
> Stuart.

Robert Fischer

Re: No access to network shares over VPN from Vista
Hello Admins

For security reasons I had disabled NetBIOS in the TCP/IP settings on all
servers.
Windows Vista can┤t handle this!
With NetBIOS enabled, everthing works properly!
Very special thanks to Mr. Aslaner from Microsoft for supporting me with
this problem!
Best regards

Robert Fischer

Robert Fischer

Re: No access to network shares over VPN from Vista (solution)
Hello Admins

Windows Vista requires an open port 139 and NetBIOS enabled on the server to map a server share through a VPN connection - very poor for security!!!
But Microsoft is goin┤ to fix that problem, they confirmed!
Best regards

Robert
Mike Howells

Re: No access to network shares over VPN from Vista
Robert,

I am in the same boat as you are with this problem.

However, I enabled NetBIOS on the server (Windows Server 2003 R2 x64
Enterprise Edition).

I also opened TCP Port 139 and UDP Port 139 on the server but I still
receive the following error:

Windows Cannot Access \\10.x.y.z\d$

Error code: 0x80070035
The network path was not found.