Connecting XP to Vista - share a drive/partition - RC2

Andrew

Connecting XP to Vista - share a drive/partition - RC2
Dear Group,
Sorry if this has already been asked, unfortunately I am using outlook
express/mail to view this message board. I want to share files with my XP
box the way that I used to when both boxes were XP. I could share a whole
drive/partition and then access it via \\PC\DRIVE and with Vista I cant seem
to do that.

I have Vista RC2 installed on PC1 and XP Pro installed on PC2. I made the
network private to give me less restrictions. Here are my settings in the
network and security screen:

Network Discovery: ON
File Sharing: ON
Public Folder Sharing: ON (open change and create)
Printer Sharing: ON
Password protected sharing: OFF
Media Sharing: OFF

On PC1, I go to my 2nd hard drive in my computer (D in Windows Explorer,
right click and go to share, then Advanced Sharing. I give it a name of
DRIVE2 and then click ok. I go to PC2 and type \\PC1\DRIVE2 and it says that
\\PC1\DRIVE2 is not accessible. If I created a folder called TEST inside of
DRIVE2, share it in the same way, I can easily go to PC2 and type in
\\PC1\DRIVE2\TEST and it will bring up the folder. This tells me that I am
unable to share my whole partition/drive. Anyone know how to get around this
definitively?

Thanks
Andrew

Robert Pendell

Re: Connecting XP to Vista - share a drive/partition - RC2
Andrew wrote:
> Dear Group,
> Sorry if this has already been asked, unfortunately I am using outlook
> express/mail to view this message board. I want to share files with my
> XP box the way that I used to when both boxes were XP. I could share a
> whole drive/partition and then access it via \\PC\DRIVE and with Vista I
> cant seem to do that.
>
> I have Vista RC2 installed on PC1 and XP Pro installed on PC2. I made
> the network private to give me less restrictions. Here are my settings
> in the network and security screen:
>
> Network Discovery: ON
> File Sharing: ON
> Public Folder Sharing: ON (open change and create)
> Printer Sharing: ON
> Password protected sharing: OFF
> Media Sharing: OFF
>
> On PC1, I go to my 2nd hard drive in my computer (D in Windows
> Explorer, right click and go to share, then Advanced Sharing. I give it
> a name of DRIVE2 and then click ok. I go to PC2 and type \\PC1\DRIVE2
> and it says that \\PC1\DRIVE2 is not accessible. If I created a folder
> called TEST inside of DRIVE2, share it in the same way, I can easily go
> to PC2 and type in \\PC1\DRIVE2\TEST and it will bring up the folder.
> This tells me that I am unable to share my whole partition/drive. Anyone
> know how to get around this definitively?
>
> Thanks
> Andrew

Well one thing I will assure you of here. While it is not recommended
you can definately share a whole drive if you wish. There is no
restriction there. Everything you have set looks good but is the
network a Public or Private network? Vista will usually only open
shares up to a Private network unless you specified otherwise.

Here are my settings

Network discovery: On
File sharing: On
Public folder sharing: On (read only, password required)
Printer sharing: Off
Password protected sharing: On
Media sharing: On