Microsoft ISATAP adapter

Harry Sherman

Microsoft ISATAP adapter
In Device Manager, under Network Adapters I find a new entry called
"Microsoft ISATAP Adapter".The yellow explanation mark indicating a problem
is present. Status shows "Windows is unable to install this driver".
Search for a better driver on-line returns "Driver up to date" and "Best
driver is already installed".
I have not installed any new programs lately, but did install an updated
driver for my Rhine II network driver through Microsoft Update, but this
shows OK. Disabling ISATAP driver does not seem to make any difference to
my home network connections.
System: VIA PM-800 MB; Dual boot XP and Vista on separate drives; Vista
Build 5600.
Home Network with two computers (One Vista, the other ME)
Can anyone tell me what this driver is for, and how it may have been
installed?

Jeff

Re: Microsoft ISATAP adapter
Here ya go,

The Internet/Site Automatic Tunnel Addressing Protocol (ISATAP)
connects IPv6 hosts/routers over IPv4 networks. ISATAP views the IPv4
network as a link layer for IPv6 and views other nodes on the network
as potential IPv6 hosts/routers. ISATAP supports automatic tunneling
and a tunnel interface management abstraction similar to the Non-
Broadcast, Multiple Access (NBMA) and ATM Permanent/Switched Virtual
Circuit (PVC/SVC) models.
Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2004). All Rights Reserved.

Basically it's installed with the os.

Jeff

"Harry Sherman" <sherhar@westelcom.com> wrote in message
> In Device Manager, under Network Adapters I find a new entry called
> "Microsoft ISATAP Adapter".The yellow explanation mark indicating a
> problem is present. Status shows "Windows is unable to install this
> driver". Search for a better driver on-line returns "Driver up to date"
> and "Best driver is already installed".
> I have not installed any new programs lately, but did install an updated
> driver for my Rhine II network driver through Microsoft Update, but this
> shows OK. Disabling ISATAP driver does not seem to make any difference
> to my home network connections.
> System: VIA PM-800 MB; Dual boot XP and Vista on separate drives; Vista
> Build 5600.
> Home Network with two computers (One Vista, the other ME)
> Can anyone tell me what this driver is for, and how it may have been
> installed?

Jeff

Re: Microsoft ISATAP adapter
umm

IPv6 is on in Vista by default-you can turn it off though .

Go here,

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections

right click your network card>properties
uncheck the IPv6 box
that'll turn off IPv6-then just disable the adapter driver

That's if it's causing you issues,

Jeff

"Jeff" <S.Cerevisiae@duh.edu> wrote in message
> Here ya go,
>
> The Internet/Site Automatic Tunnel Addressing Protocol (ISATAP)
> connects IPv6 hosts/routers over IPv4 networks. ISATAP views the IPv4
> network as a link layer for IPv6 and views other nodes on the network
> as potential IPv6 hosts/routers. ISATAP supports automatic tunneling
> and a tunnel interface management abstraction similar to the Non-
> Broadcast, Multiple Access (NBMA) and ATM Permanent/Switched Virtual
> Circuit (PVC/SVC) models.
> Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2004). All Rights Reserved.
>
> Basically it's installed with the os.
>
> Jeff
>

> "Harry Sherman" <sherhar@westelcom.com> wrote in message
>> In Device Manager, under Network Adapters I find a new entry called
>> "Microsoft ISATAP Adapter".The yellow explanation mark indicating a
>> problem is present. Status shows "Windows is unable to install this
>> driver". Search for a better driver on-line returns "Driver up to date"
>> and "Best driver is already installed".
>> I have not installed any new programs lately, but did install an updated
>> driver for my Rhine II network driver through Microsoft Update, but this
>> shows OK. Disabling ISATAP driver does not seem to make any difference
>> to my home network connections.
>> System: VIA PM-800 MB; Dual boot XP and Vista on separate drives; Vista
>> Build 5600.
>> Home Network with two computers (One Vista, the other ME)
>> Can anyone tell me what this driver is for, and how it may have been
>> installed?

Harry Sherman

Re: Microsoft ISATAP adapter
Thanks, Jeff. I followed your suggestions but after unchecking IPv6, both
IE and Mail got a little flaky (random errors and slow connections) so I
re-enabled it. I even went so far as to delete ISATAP driver, but Windows
recreated it on next boot with same error. Guess there is no way to fix
it...will have to live with it on this beta.

> umm
>
> IPv6 is on in Vista by default-you can turn it off though .
>
> Go here,
>
> Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections
>
> right click your network card>properties
> uncheck the IPv6 box
> that'll turn off IPv6-then just disable the adapter driver
>
> That's if it's causing you issues,
>
> Jeff
>

> "Jeff" <S.Cerevisiae@duh.edu> wrote in message
>> Here ya go,
>>
>> The Internet/Site Automatic Tunnel Addressing Protocol (ISATAP)
>> connects IPv6 hosts/routers over IPv4 networks. ISATAP views the IPv4
>> network as a link layer for IPv6 and views other nodes on the network
>> as potential IPv6 hosts/routers. ISATAP supports automatic tunneling
>> and a tunnel interface management abstraction similar to the Non-
>> Broadcast, Multiple Access (NBMA) and ATM Permanent/Switched Virtual
>> Circuit (PVC/SVC) models.
>> Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2004). All Rights Reserved.
>>
>> Basically it's installed with the os.
>>
>> Jeff
>>

>> "Harry Sherman" <sherhar@westelcom.com> wrote in message
>>> In Device Manager, under Network Adapters I find a new entry called
>>> "Microsoft ISATAP Adapter".The yellow explanation mark indicating a
>>> problem is present. Status shows "Windows is unable to install this
>>> driver". Search for a better driver on-line returns "Driver up to date"
>>> and "Best driver is already installed".
>>> I have not installed any new programs lately, but did install an updated
>>> driver for my Rhine II network driver through Microsoft Update, but this
>>> shows OK. Disabling ISATAP driver does not seem to make any difference
>>> to my home network connections.
>>> System: VIA PM-800 MB; Dual boot XP and Vista on separate drives; Vista
>>> Build 5600.
>>> Home Network with two computers (One Vista, the other ME)
>>> Can anyone tell me what this driver is for, and how it may have been
>>> installed?

Desiree

Re: Microsoft ISATAP adapter

ok so i turn on my computer and i have had it for ayear or so and all of
a sudden I have an ISATAP adapter#3 installed which i found wierd
because i never did anything to my computer.
Could someone please explain to me in somewhat simple terms what the
hell it is?
Thanks

--
Desiree
firstcomp

Re: Microsoft ISATAP adapter

When i googled isatap this thread link is right up there in the 1-10
choices. Why would it matter if it is 372 days old it is still a valid
subject that I ran into today and need to research. The problem is it
still hasn't been completely answered in this forum because there is no
solution mentioned for the exclamation points on isatap so I will have
to keep looking.

--
firstcomp

Location: Texas
DaDarinoEffect is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Microsoft ISATAP adapter
Let me first add that IPv6 is not widely adopted. will need it once we go http2.....but most security software, symantec, mcafee, etc do not scan ipv6 traffic, so my recommendation is to disable it entirely.

The Microsoft ISATAP device (Inter Site Automatic Tunneling Address Protocol) is used to help enterprises transition to an IPv6 infrastructure. The ISATAP adapter encapsulates IPv6 packets by using an IPv4 header. This functionality enables the client to transport IPv6 traffic over an IPv4 infrastructure. This approach lets organizations slowly migrate to an IPv6 infrastructure without having to spend excessive time and financial resources to convert to the new infrastructure.

I will start trusting IPv6 when the major security suites such as Symantec or McAfee start protecting or at the least allowing you to block IPv6. The main driver for them is that the big customers...Fortune 500 companies and U.S. Department of Defense haven't yet rolled out IPv6 in a large scale, when they go IPv6...I will. But not until I can scan and protect traffic over IPv6, or tunnelling protocols such as ISATAP.

Hit this MS KB article on how to disable IPv6 components.

How to disable certain Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) components in Windows Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstcomp View Post
When i googled isatap this thread link is right up there in the 1-10
choices. Why would it matter if it is 372 days old it is still a valid
subject that I ran into today and need to research. The problem is it
still hasn't been completely answered in this forum because there is no
solution mentioned for the exclamation points on isatap so I will have
to keep looking.

--
firstcomp
GunnerAsh

Re: Microsoft ISATAP adapter

Hey everyone. This is my first post, as i have had to join the forum to
get desperate help for this very annoying problem.

I can no longer connect to my Internet browser or my wireless hub
through my Sony Vaio's WiFi. I had a yellow exclamation mark appear over
my internet icon in the bottom right of my screen a couple days ago and
have since not been able to get online wirelessly. It says i have
"Limited Connectivity" yet i have full signal.

I have a strong hunch that since my computer installed a mandatory
Windows Update, the next time i came on my computer after this update,
this problem occured. I have looked in my devices and everything says
its got the most up to date driver Windows can find, but i still have
this problem, and the yellow exclamation mark and no wireless access
remains.

I need any help, it will be much appreciated

EDIT: When i went on the Microsoft ISATAP adapter that appeared the
problem, i got the Code 31 thing come up too. What the hell has this
Windows Update done to me?

--
GunnerAsh
Malke

GunnerAsh wrote:

> Hey everyone. This is my first post, as i have had to join the forum to
> get desperate help for this very annoying problem.
>
> I can no longer connect to my Internet browser or my wireless hub
> through my Sony Vaio's WiFi. I had a yellow exclamation mark appear over
> my internet icon in the bottom right of my screen a couple days ago and
> have since not been able to get online wirelessly. It says i have
> "Limited Connectivity" yet i have full signal.
>
> I have a strong hunch that since my computer installed a mandatory
> Windows Update, the next time i came on my computer after this update,
> this problem occured. I have looked in my devices and everything says
> its got the most up to date driver Windows can find, but i still have
> this problem, and the yellow exclamation mark and no wireless access
> remains.

It sounds like you installed a driver for your wireless network adapter from
Windows Update (always a bad idea). Try rolling it back to drivers that
work or, if that doesn't solve the issue, uninstall/reinstall the wireless
adapter drivers. Get them from Sony's tech support website for your
specific model laptop.

Roll Back Troublesome Device Drivers in Windows Vista from the How-To Geek -
http://tinyurl.com/346lox

Malke
--
MS-MVP