One way network visibility

=?Utf-8?B?Qy4gQnJpdHRvbg==?=

One way network visibility
My hardware setup is:
4 computers on ahome network,
2 running Windows 2000 Pro
1 running XP Pro. Sp2
1 struggling with Vista RC1 x64
1 Linksys WRT54GS V1 router with v. 4.71 firmware installed

The Vista computer is using an AMD Athlon 64 dual core 4600 (2.4 Mhz)
processor with 2 GB RAM on an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard.

One of the Win 2k units is wireless as is the XP Pro. laptop, the others are
hard wired.

I first installed Vista Beta 2 and with a little twiddling I was able to see
the other computers on the LAN and I was able to get onto the Internet. Then
I installed RC1. I had to install it on a second drive because I didn't
allocate enough space to the volume that contains Beta 2. I started out
using the same Marvell Yukon network adapter that I had used for Beta 2 and I
was able to see local LAN computers but could not browse a web page (I could
ping them but that's all). I finally pulled the cable on the Marvell Yukon
adapter (embedded on motherboard)and connected it to the Nvidia nForce
adapter (also embedded in my Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard). That's where
I am now. From the Vista machine I can see the Internet without problem but
I don's see any of the other computers on the network but....they can see the
Vista machine and trade shared files with it.
I can still boot from Beta 2 and see the local network computers but no
Internet.

I have checked and quadruple checked workgroup names, permissions, sharing,
discovery and every other thing ever mentioned as a potential problem but I
haven't had any success. I have tried everything I can with the router
including completely disabling the firewall and that didn't help either.

I know I am not alone in my problems but I would surely like some kind of
help or some reassurance that this problem is not going to recur in the
retail product. I will surely buy Vista when it hits the shelves but only if
I have some kind of assurance that these networking problems have been
resolved. For the others I see who are having this same kind of problem
(nearly identical) I offer my sympathy. I KNOW it is beta software but I
find it hard to believe this thing has gone to manufacturing with this
problem unresolved.

Cec Britto
I first installed Beta 2 and I was able to see other computers on my 4 unit
network (two Windows 2000 Pro and one XP Pro); I could also see and access
the web. I installed RC1 on a second drive because I didn't have enough room
on the original drive that holds Beta 2. Then, using the same Marvell Yukon
88E801/8001/8010 network adapter built into my Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
motherboard, I was never able to get onto the Internet so I moved the
connection over to another adapter on the motherboard (Nvidia nForce network
adapter)
David Hettel

Re: One way network visibility
The first step in locally enabling the network map is to run the Group
Policy Object Editor (gpedit.msc) as an administrator on the local machine.
With User Account Control (UAC) enabled, just right-click “Command Prompt”
(Start Menu->All Programs->Accessories) and select “Run as administrator” to
open an elevated command prompt. From the elevated command prompt, run the
command “gpedit.msc” (no quotes). This will start the group policy editor
for the local machine.

Inside of the Group Policy Object Editor, navigate the tree to Local
Computer Policy | Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates |
Network | Link-Layer Topology Discovery.

Once you are in the Link-Layer Topology Discovery section of the editor,
simply Right-click and open properties for “Turn on Mapper I/O (LLTDIO)
driver” and enable the “Allow operation while in domain” option. If you
would also like to use the network map on a public network, you can enable
the “Allow operation while in public network” option. The “Turn on Responder
(RSPNDR) driver” option sits just below the LLTDIO option in the UI. The
LLTD Responder driver allows PCs and network devices, like the Xbox 360, to
present device details to the network such as the device’s manufacturer,
model #, configuration URL, etc.

--
David Hettel

E-mail or news groups.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

no rights.

"C. Britton" <CBritton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news6C05CFE-AE54-4E84-BC23-302ABE7B86F1@microsoft.com...
> [...]
> (nearly identical) I offer my sympathy. I KNOW it is beta software but I
> find it hard to believe this thing has gone to manufacturing with this
> problem unresolved.
>
> Cec Britto
> I first installed Beta 2 and I was able to see other computers on my 4
> unit
> network (two Windows 2000 Pro and one XP Pro); I could also see and access
> the web. I installed RC1 on a second drive because I didn't have enough
> room
> on the original drive that holds Beta 2. Then, using the same Marvell
> Yukon
> 88E801/8001/8010 network adapter built into my Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
> motherboard, I was never able to get onto the Internet so I moved the
> connection over to another adapter on the motherboard (Nvidia nForce

=?Utf-8?B?Qy4gQnJpdHRvbg==?=

Re: One way network visibility
Thanks so much for the answer David. Unfortunately after using the Group
Policy editor as you instructed I still have the problem. Even though I am
not on a domain I did enable a domain connection and a public connection to
cover all bases. When I still didn't see the other computers I shut down,
powered down the router and the broadband modem to go through a full system
reset. Still no success.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated and tried. Thanks again for the
assistance. I was unaware of that particular policy so I learned something
from the exercise in any case.