"My Computer" hangs for 2-30 seconds while connected to a domain..

=?Utf-8?B?YnJva2VubWFjaGluZTY1?=

"My Computer" hangs for 2-30 seconds while connected to a domain..
I have a small domain setup in our test labs for evaluating new software
on a scaled down version of our company network. 1 2003 domain controller 5
xp machines, and this vista machine. the domain controller also acts as DNS
and dhcp (of course) and is a direct replica of the primary server for the
company.

The issue is that when the vista machine is connected to the network about
80% of the time opening "my computer", the start menu, or opening up a zipped
or rared file it
"hangs" for 2-30 seconds. The primary window will show with a partially
populated list of files or shortcuts then sit there doing nothing. No HDD
activity. no network activity, nothing. If i yank the network connection it
pops right up. This behavior only happens with vista, the xp machines don't
do this.

So there is something that is different about how vista is interacting with
the network, but I cannot see what it is. All machines use roaming profiles,
but the only thing that is different about vista in that regard is that 2 of
the network folders auto map to "my computer" and cannot be removed.

If there is any other details that you need please let me know, our IT team
is at a loss....
Robert Moir

Re: "My Computer" hangs for 2-30 seconds while connected to a domain..
brokenmachine65 wrote:

> So there is something that is different about how vista is
> interacting with the network, but I cannot see what it is. All
> machines use roaming profiles, but the only thing that is different
> about vista in that regard is that 2 of the network folders auto map
> to "my computer" and cannot be removed.
>
> If there is any other details that you need please let me know, our
> IT team is at a loss....

AV or Windows defender acting up?

=?Utf-8?B?YnJva2VubWFjaGluZTY1?=

Re: "My Computer" hangs for 2-30 seconds while connected to a doma
Defender is acting normally, and the av is so far working fine, using
symantec av 224 for vista

brokenmachine65 wrote:
> Defender is acting normally, and the av is so far working fine, using
> symantec av 224 for vista

I'd personally consider setting up a machine without the AV, then disable
Defender, just to see if it makes a difference. You see, what with the delay
being at startup when on the network, the remapped home areas, and both of
these scanning home areas at start up... I'd just want to go the extra mile
to eliminate them were it my network.

Kevin Spencer

Re: "My Computer" hangs for 2-30 seconds while connected to a domain..
I found that removing my many network shortcuts fixed this issue. It seems
that network shortcuts are integral to the file system, and the networking
software in the OS repeatedly attempts to determine the connectivity to
these resources. I would love to see a workaround built into the OS for
this, but at present, that is the situation.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
Bit Player
http://unclechutney.blogspot.com

Where there's a Will, there's a William.

"brokenmachine65" <brokenmachine65@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:511ED358-E999-4D24-BA76-F41491C46C82@microsoft.com...