VPN: error 828 and high cpu load

Jetze Mellema \(MS MVP\)

VPN: error 828 and high cpu load
Hello,

I just upgraded from Windows XP to Vista Ultimate. Unfortunately I have 2
network related problems.

1. When I want to start Connect To from the Start menu the cpu load goes
high for several minutes, this is caused by the process rundll32.dll. After
a couple of minutes the Connect to a network screen appears.

2. My excisting VPN connections are preserved but none is working, the error
in the even log is: "The user DOMAIN\John dialed a connection named
Conectionname which has terminated. The reason code returned on termination
is 828."

What I already tried:
- uninstall Cisco VPN client
- reboot
- Windows Firewall disable
- maka a new connection
- Diagnose the problem: no problem found

Any ideas?
--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Jetze Mellema
http://www.mellema.net/homecomputers

Dinesh Agarwal

Re: error 828 and high cpu load
Hi Jetze,
Error 828 is ERROR_IDLE_TIMEOUT [The connection was terminated
because of idle timeout.]. Now the timeout can happen at different stage of
a connection and I would need Ras Logs to identify where exactly
is the issue. Can you provide me with Ras logs - steps being:
- From elevated command prompt, run:
- netsh ras set tracing * en
- repro your scenario
- netsh ras set tracing * dis
- collect the logs at %SystemRoot%\tracing, zip
it and send it to me

-Dinesh.

[This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.]

"Jetze Mellema (MS MVP)" <stoppen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news1D10016-AD05-4212-BAB1-942A6DFE9ADF@microsoft.com...
> Hello,
>
> I just upgraded from Windows XP to Vista Ultimate. Unfortunately I have 2
> network related problems.
>
> 1. When I want to start Connect To from the Start menu the cpu load goes
> high for several minutes, this is caused by the process rundll32.dll.
> After a couple of minutes the Connect to a network screen appears.
>
> 2. My excisting VPN connections are preserved but none is working, the
> error in the even log is: "The user DOMAIN\John dialed a connection named
> Conectionname which has terminated. The reason code returned on
> termination is 828."
>
> What I already tried:
> - uninstall Cisco VPN client
> - reboot
> - Windows Firewall disable
> - maka a new connection
> - Diagnose the problem: no problem found
>
> Any ideas?
> --
> Met vriendelijke groet,
>
> Jetze Mellema
> http://www.mellema.net/homecomputers

Ryan

Also having error 828 when using vpn on vista
Hi Dinesh,

I see your response. I am having the same problem at the moment when trying to connect to a vpn from my vista machine.

Has this issue been resolved yet?
I have the zipped log files as you requested from Jetze, can I send them to you?

Thanks
Ryan

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Dinesh Agarwal

Re: Also having error 828 when using vpn on vista
Hi Ryan, please send me the zipped log files.

Thanks,