Cisco VPN

Lynn Teska

Cisco VPN
Using the Cisco VPN 4.8.01.0590 on Vista RTM.
When I connect the Cisco Systems VPN adapter will be enabled.
The connection will appear in the Network and Sharing Center and go into
"Identifying" and will not enable.
The VPN disconnects in a few seconds, and the connection disappears.
Cisco logs this:
61 06:52:58.504 12/26/06 Sev=Warning/3 CVPND/0xA340000D
The virtual adapter was not recognized by the operating system.
62 06:52:58.504 12/26/06 Sev=Warning/2 CM/0xE310000A
The virtual adapter failed to enable.

Some times the adapter enables and the connection works, most often not.

Thoughts?

Lynn

Richard G. Harper

Re: Cisco VPN
Does the version of the Cisco software you have support Vista? If not, does
Cisco plan on releasing updated software?

"Lynn Teska" <lteska@csi.nospaaam.com> wrote in message
> Using the Cisco VPN 4.8.01.0590 on Vista RTM.
> When I connect the Cisco Systems VPN adapter will be enabled.
> The connection will appear in the Network and Sharing Center and go into
> "Identifying" and will not enable.
> The VPN disconnects in a few seconds, and the connection disappears.
> Cisco logs this:
> 61 06:52:58.504 12/26/06 Sev=Warning/3 CVPND/0xA340000D
> The virtual adapter was not recognized by the operating system.
> 62 06:52:58.504 12/26/06 Sev=Warning/2 CM/0xE310000A
> The virtual adapter failed to enable.
>
> Some times the adapter enables and the connection works, most often not.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Lynn

Lynn Teska

Re: Cisco VPN
This may have been of some benefit:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928310

"Lynn Teska" <lteska@csi.nospaaam.com> wrote in message
> Using the Cisco VPN 4.8.01.0590 on Vista RTM.
> When I connect the Cisco Systems VPN adapter will be enabled.
> The connection will appear in the Network and Sharing Center and go into
> "Identifying" and will not enable.
> The VPN disconnects in a few seconds, and the connection disappears.
> Cisco logs this:
> 61 06:52:58.504 12/26/06 Sev=Warning/3 CVPND/0xA340000D
> The virtual adapter was not recognized by the operating system.
> 62 06:52:58.504 12/26/06 Sev=Warning/2 CM/0xE310000A
> The virtual adapter failed to enable.
>
> Some times the adapter enables and the connection works, most often not.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Lynn

Lynn Teska

Re: Cisco VPN
So far 4.8.02.0010 seems to have fixed this issue.

Of course 4.8.01.0590 worked for a while as well...

Lynn

"Lynn Teska" <lteska@csi.nospaaam.com> wrote in message
> Using the Cisco VPN 4.8.01.0590 on Vista RTM.
> When I connect the Cisco Systems VPN adapter will be enabled.
> The connection will appear in the Network and Sharing Center and go into
> "Identifying" and will not enable.
> The VPN disconnects in a few seconds, and the connection disappears.
> Cisco logs this:
> 61 06:52:58.504 12/26/06 Sev=Warning/3 CVPND/0xA340000D
> The virtual adapter was not recognized by the operating system.
> 62 06:52:58.504 12/26/06 Sev=Warning/2 CM/0xE310000A
> The virtual adapter failed to enable.
>
> Some times the adapter enables and the connection works, most often not.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Lynn

Siva

Re: Cisco VPN - Lynn Teska
I'm using 4.8.02.0010 on Vista, but getting the same error, any help would be much appreciated?

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Lynn Teska

Re: Cisco VPN
Here is a note I received from Cisco:

-----------

Is this being installed on a 64bit machine? If yes - stop, we don't support
64bit.

Are you installing this on any version other then RTM? If yes - Do a clean
install of Vista RTM before installing the client.

Are you installing this on an upgraded installation of Vista? If yes - Do a
clean install of Vista RTM before installing the client.

Did you run the vpnclient_setup.msi file to install the client? If yes -
Rerun the installer using the downloaded
vpnclient-win-msi-<version>-k9-x86.exe or vpnclient_setup.exe. Currently the
..MSI file isn't Vista compatible.

Is the client hanging at "securing network connection"? Ensure that your
Virtual Adapter is categorized as a "Public" network rather than "Private".
This can be changed in the "Network and Share Center".

If you are getting an error message saying that the client is unable to
enable the virtual adapter do the following:

1. Check to see if the Virtual Adapter is installed. Open Device Manager and
look under Networking to verify if the Virtual Adapter is installed.
If not run the following command in the VPN Client directory:
vainstaller.exe i "C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN
Client\setup\netcvirta.inf" CS_VirtA
If this doesn't show the Virtual Adapter, uninstall the client and
reinstall the client with MSI logging enabled. See below for info. Then
email the MSI log and the DNE log to vista-vpn@cisco.com.

2. Manually enable the Virtual Adapter and attempt to connect. If the
adapter will not enable do the following:
If this doesn't show the Virtual Adapter, uninstall the client and
reinstall the client with MSI logging enabled. See below for info. Then
email the MSI log and the DNE log to vista-vpn@cisco.com.

Are you getting a firewall error message and being disconnected? Vista
client currently doesn't install the integrated firewall, disable or create
a new group that does not check for the firewall on your headend.

Additional things to keep in mind:
Client currently does not support certificate authentication, Start Before
Login, integrated firewall, 64bit, .MSI and logging is limited to file only
and will not show up in the display window.

To enable MSI logging please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223300

The DNEinst.log is located in: c:\windows\temp\dneinst.log

To enable Verbose logging of the client for troubleshooting connection
related issues do the following:

1. Open the GUI and enable logging. Then close the GUI.
2. Open the vpnclient.ini file located in c:\program files\cisco systems\vpn
client\vpnclient.ini and change the following loglevels to 15, IPSec, CVPND
and IKE. Save and close the file.
3. Open the GUI and attempt to connect. Once you have run into the issue
close the GUI and send the logs in c:\program files\cisco systems\vpn
client\logs\* to vista-vpn@cisco.com.

At minimum try the following before contacting vista-vpn@cisco.com:

Reinstalled the client, if the problem persists reinstall Vista RTM cleanly
then the client and see if the problem still persists.

After reinstalling the client go ahead and email vista-vpn@cisco.com with
the information regarding the issue. We do require the problems to be
reproducible which means reinstalling Vista cleanly and then the client and
seeing if the problem still persists.

Please include in your email to vista-vpn@cisco.com the following:

State the problem, and the steps you took to run into the problem.
What version of Vista and the client you have installed. ie Vista Business
32bit.
Steps you have taken to troubleshoot.
Install log and DNE log.

---------------

"Siva" wrote in message news:20071610513padmansiva@yahoo.com...
> I'm using 4.8.02.0010 on Vista, but getting the same error, any help would
> be much appreciated?

> http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Bruce Sanderson

Re: Cisco VPN
I'm told by our in-house support that the Cisco VPN client Version
4.8.01.0590 does support Vista (beta version intended for use under Vista).
It works fine on my Vista RTM 32 bit computer at home connecting to the
Cisco VPN service at work - installed and connects without any problems.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders

> Does the version of the Cisco software you have support Vista? If not,
> does Cisco plan on releasing updated software?

> "Lynn Teska" <lteska@csi.nospaaam.com> wrote in message
>> Using the Cisco VPN 4.8.01.0590 on Vista RTM.
>> When I connect the Cisco Systems VPN adapter will be enabled.
>> The connection will appear in the Network and Sharing Center and go into
>> "Identifying" and will not enable.
>> The VPN disconnects in a few seconds, and the connection disappears.
>> Cisco logs this:
>> 61 06:52:58.504 12/26/06 Sev=Warning/3 CVPND/0xA340000D
>> The virtual adapter was not recognized by the operating system.
>> 62 06:52:58.504 12/26/06 Sev=Warning/2 CM/0xE310000A
>> The virtual adapter failed to enable.
>>
>> Some times the adapter enables and the connection works, most often not.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Lynn

Lynn Teska

Re: Cisco VPN
Some of us are having this Cisco issue where the Virtual adapter will not
enable.
Csc78432 Vista: Can't enable the VA sometimes

For me it is random, after first installing the Cisco client it worked well.

Then randomly the VA would not enable, then this got worse and it would not
work at all.

Later I installed 4.8.02 and the same process repeated, worked well, failed
sometimes, and does not work most times now.

"Bruce Sanderson" <bsanders@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
news01A954A-E254-4D66-BB94-9D77AFCDF913@microsoft.com...
> I'm told by our in-house support that the Cisco VPN client Version
> 4.8.01.0590 does support Vista (beta version intended for use under
> Vista). It works fine on my Vista RTM 32 bit computer at home connecting
> to the Cisco VPN service at work - installed and connects without any
> problems.
>
> --
> Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders
>
> It is perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.
>

> "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
>> Does the version of the Cisco software you have support Vista? If not,
>> does Cisco plan on releasing updated software?

>> "Lynn Teska" <lteska@csi.nospaaam.com> wrote in message
>>> Using the Cisco VPN 4.8.01.0590 on Vista RTM.
>>> When I connect the Cisco Systems VPN adapter will be enabled.
>>> The connection will appear in the Network and Sharing Center and go into
>>> "Identifying" and will not enable.
>>> The VPN disconnects in a few seconds, and the connection disappears.
>>> Cisco logs this:
>>> 61 06:52:58.504 12/26/06 Sev=Warning/3 CVPND/0xA340000D
>>> The virtual adapter was not recognized by the operating system.
>>> 62 06:52:58.504 12/26/06 Sev=Warning/2 CM/0xE310000A
>>> The virtual adapter failed to enable.
>>>
>>> Some times the adapter enables and the connection works, most often not.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> Lynn

Angie

Cisco VPN on VIsta
Lynn, is version 0010 of the client still working for you? And would you ahppen to know where I can download this from? Thanks for any help you can give me here!

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Brian

4.8.02.0010
I've been having similiar issues with the inability to "enable" the virtual adapter. I was able to get the best results if I booted my computer without internet access (wifi in my case) and then turned it on after fully loading into Windows. I noticed leaving the connection on when booting slowed booting wayy down, I assume it was waiting to renew and IP and attempt to connect to the VPN before showing my desktop.. I'm not sure exactly on the boot process.

Anyways, I found a link to 4.8.02.0010 using google, you can check it out here: http://www.petri.co.il/forums/archiv...p?t-12165.html

I would recommend uninstalling the current version you have first, maybe it was just me and some settings but I found the install did things a little different, using a seperate "desktop" enviroment thing... then again I only installed Vista a few days ago.

Good Luck!

http://www.eggheadcafe.com