"there is not enough memory to complete" with shared printer

Trapulo

"there is not enough memory to complete" with shared printer
I'm trying to install a printer on Vista Ultimate RTM. The printer (a
samsung SCX-4100) is shared by a windows 2003 server.
When I try to install, I get the error:
"windows cannot connect to the printer. There is not enough memory to
complete"

I've tried to manually install the driver, or install the printer as local
printer, and all is ok. But I need to connecto to the remote printer, and I
cannot. Sure the problem is in Vista, because from other PCs with XP all
works.

What can I do?

thanks

Bruce Sanderson

Re: "there is not enough memory to complete" with shared printer
See if the "More Information" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=280830 helps.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders

"Trapulo" <trapulo@noemail.noemail> wrote in message
> I'm trying to install a printer on Vista Ultimate RTM. The printer (a
> samsung SCX-4100) is shared by a windows 2003 server.
> When I try to install, I get the error:
> "windows cannot connect to the printer. There is not enough memory to
> complete"
>
> I've tried to manually install the driver, or install the printer as local
> printer, and all is ok. But I need to connecto to the remote printer, and
> I cannot. Sure the problem is in Vista, because from other PCs with XP all
> works.
>
> What can I do?
>
> thanks

Michael Gendelman

Work great with linux
My friend had the same problem, nothing we found on forums and guides on the net solved the problem.

However, he has a dual boot XP-SuSE, and I thought we should try sharing the printer from SuSE.
An it worked wonderfully well !
Kind of funny that XP cannot talk to Vista but SuSE can.

If you have another solution (which really involves XP) for the XP-Vista printer sharing problem we would very much like to hear it.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
BkStCrawler

Re: Work great with linux
"Michael Gendelman" wrote in message news:200715634genged@gmail.com...
> My friend had the same problem, nothing we found on forums and guides on
> the net solved the problem.
>
> However, he has a dual boot XP-SuSE, and I thought we should try sharing
> the printer from SuSE.
> An it worked wonderfully well !
> Kind of funny that XP cannot talk to Vista but SuSE can.
>
> If you have another solution (which really involves XP) for the XP-Vista
> printer sharing problem we would very much like to hear it.

> http://www.eggheadcafe.com

I'd be interested in hearing about the XP-Vista printer sharing problem. I'm
currently having no problem sharing printers on a XP machine with Vista -
RC1. The printers are a Canon i860 and an Epson 1280 Stylus Photo. Same
functionality as on the XP machine. I could not check if this post was from
a thread.

Bruce Sanderson

Re: "there is not enough memory to complete" with shared printer
See http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterNoPP.htm for a possible
workaround.

Since you have already installed the printer locally, a variation of this
workaround is:
1. click Start, Printers
2. click File, Run as Administrator, Server Properties (click Continue or
provide administrative credentials)
3. select the Ports tab
4. click Add Port
5. select Local Port; click New Port
6. in the "Port Name" box, key the UNC name of the Samsung SCX-4100 printer
as defined on the Windows 2003 server - e.g.
\\printservername\printersharename; click OK; click Close; click Close
(close the Print Server Properties window)
7. in the Printers window, right click on the Samsung printer you installed
locally and select Properties
8. select the Ports tab
9. click on the Port you just added (e.g.
\\printservername\printersharename) to add a check mark. The check mark
that was in LPT1 (or whatever port was previously selected) will be
automatically removed.
10. click OK

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders

"Trapulo" <trapulo@noemail.noemail> wrote in message
> I'm trying to install a printer on Vista Ultimate RTM. The printer (a
> samsung SCX-4100) is shared by a windows 2003 server.
> When I try to install, I get the error:
> "windows cannot connect to the printer. There is not enough memory to
> complete"
>
> I've tried to manually install the driver, or install the printer as local
> printer, and all is ok. But I need to connecto to the remote printer, and
> I cannot. Sure the problem is in Vista, because from other PCs with XP all
> works.
>
> What can I do?
>
> thanks

Trapulo

Re: "there is not enough memory to complete" with shared printer
Great!

This worked!

Thank you!!

"Bruce Sanderson" <bsanders@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
> See http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterNoPP.htm for a possible
> workaround.
>
> Since you have already installed the printer locally, a variation of this
> workaround is:
> 1. click Start, Printers
> 2. click File, Run as Administrator, Server Properties (click Continue or
> provide administrative credentials)
> 3. select the Ports tab
> 4. click Add Port
> 5. select Local Port; click New Port
> 6. in the "Port Name" box, key the UNC name of the Samsung SCX-4100
> printer as defined on the Windows 2003 server - e.g.
> \\printservername\printersharename; click OK; click Close; click Close
> (close the Print Server Properties window)
> 7. in the Printers window, right click on the Samsung printer you
> installed locally and select Properties
> 8. select the Ports tab
> 9. click on the Port you just added (e.g.
> \\printservername\printersharename) to add a check mark. The check mark
> that was in LPT1 (or whatever port was previously selected) will be
> automatically removed.
> 10. click OK
>

> --
> Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders
>
> It is perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.
>

> "Trapulo" <trapulo@noemail.noemail> wrote in message
>> I'm trying to install a printer on Vista Ultimate RTM. The printer (a
>> samsung SCX-4100) is shared by a windows 2003 server.
>> When I try to install, I get the error:
>> "windows cannot connect to the printer. There is not enough memory to
>> complete"
>>
>> I've tried to manually install the driver, or install the printer as
>> local printer, and all is ok. But I need to connecto to the remote
>> printer, and I cannot. Sure the problem is in Vista, because from other
>> PCs with XP all works.
>>
>> What can I do?
>>
>> thanks

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBEZW5tYW4=?=

Re: "there is not enough memory to complete" with shared printer
The solution is to install the Vista drivers for your printer on the Vista
machine and then connect to the printer.

You may have to acutally install the printer on the vista machine and then
remove it and connect via the network.

"Trapulo" wrote:

> Great!
>
> This worked!
>
> Thank you!!
>

> "Bruce Sanderson" <bsanders@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
> > See http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterNoPP.htm for a possible
> > workaround.
> >
> > Since you have already installed the printer locally, a variation of this
> > workaround is:
> > 1. click Start, Printers
> > 2. click File, Run as Administrator, Server Properties (click Continue or
> > provide administrative credentials)
> > 3. select the Ports tab
> > 4. click Add Port
> > 5. select Local Port; click New Port
> > 6. in the "Port Name" box, key the UNC name of the Samsung SCX-4100
> > printer as defined on the Windows 2003 server - e.g.
> > \\printservername\printersharename; click OK; click Close; click Close
> > (close the Print Server Properties window)
> > 7. in the Printers window, right click on the Samsung printer you
> > installed locally and select Properties
> > 8. select the Ports tab
> > 9. click on the Port you just added (e.g.
> > \\printservername\printersharename) to add a check mark. The check mark
> > that was in LPT1 (or whatever port was previously selected) will be
> > automatically removed.
> > 10. click OK
> >

> > --
> > Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
> > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders
> >
> > It is perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.
> >

> > "Trapulo" <trapulo@noemail.noemail> wrote in message
> >> I'm trying to install a printer on Vista Ultimate RTM. The printer (a
> >> samsung SCX-4100) is shared by a windows 2003 server.
> >> When I try to install, I get the error:
> >> "windows cannot connect to the printer. There is not enough memory to
> >> complete"
> >>
> >> I've tried to manually install the driver, or install the printer as
> >> local printer, and all is ok. But I need to connecto to the remote
> >> printer, and I cannot. Sure the problem is in Vista, because from other
> >> PCs with XP all works.
> >>
> >> What can I do?
> >>
> >> thanks

pro_action is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it is a samsung problem I think
I had almost exactly the same problem and I've read of others having this problem with samsung drivers.
I WAS able to add network printers made by Epson and magicolor with no problem.
Later, I went to Samsung's website and downloaded and installed the driver for the ML-1740. Once that was done I was able to access this printer over the network also.