Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Vista VPN to Exchange Svr

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-24-2006
=?Utf-8?B?Uk1jQ2FiZQ==?=
 

Posts: n/a
Vista VPN to Exchange Svr
When I set up my VPN it appears to work (it says it's connected, and double
checked VPN setting against my XP machine which seem identical), but the
when I try to connect Outlook 2007 to my work Exchange Server it does
not connect. I get one of the following errors,

"The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable. Outlook
must be online or connected to complete this action."

"The name cannot be resolved. The connection to the Microsoft Exchange
Server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this
action."

I was able to connect Outlook 2007 on XP Home SP2 with no problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise everthing else is working
great. Thank you.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-27-2006
=?Utf-8?B?ZW5yaWNvIHN1ZG8=?=
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Vista VPN to Exchange Svr
hallo,

have you checked if the name of your exchange server can be resolved?
you can do that by using the command line utlility (accessoires) and then
type ping your_exchange_server

please post the results after that..


"RMcCabe" wrote:

> When I set up my VPN it appears to work (it says it's connected, and double
> checked VPN setting against my XP machine which seem identical), but the
> when I try to connect Outlook 2007 to my work Exchange Server it does
> not connect. I get one of the following errors,
>
> "The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable. Outlook
> must be online or connected to complete this action."
>
> "The name cannot be resolved. The connection to the Microsoft Exchange
> Server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this
> action."
>
> I was able to connect Outlook 2007 on XP Home SP2 with no problems.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise everthing else is working
> great. Thank you.
>

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2006
=?Utf-8?B?Uk1jQ2FiZQ==?=
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Vista VPN to Exchange Svr
Enrico, thanks for your help, it's greatly appreciated. I got the following
error "Ping request could not find the host ExcangeSvr.Domain.com. Please
check the name and try again."

When i do this from my XP machine it works. When I setup the VPN on Vista I
went throught to try and make sure the settings were the same, most are, but
Vistua has some addditional options not in XP.

Thank you Enrico.

"enrico sudo" wrote:

> hallo,
>
> have you checked if the name of your exchange server can be resolved?
> you can do that by using the command line utlility (accessoires) and then
> type ping your_exchange_server
>
> please post the results after that..
>
>
> "RMcCabe" wrote:
>
> > When I set up my VPN it appears to work (it says it's connected, and double
> > checked VPN setting against my XP machine which seem identical), but the
> > when I try to connect Outlook 2007 to my work Exchange Server it does
> > not connect. I get one of the following errors,
> >
> > "The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable. Outlook
> > must be online or connected to complete this action."
> >
> > "The name cannot be resolved. The connection to the Microsoft Exchange
> > Server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this
> > action."
> >
> > I was able to connect Outlook 2007 on XP Home SP2 with no problems.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise everthing else is working
> > great. Thank you.
> >

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2006
=?Utf-8?B?ZW5yaWNvIHN1ZG8=?=
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Vista VPN to Exchange Svr
hallo rmccabe,

now where we know that it is a dns-problem, we have to find the reason for
that.
but a lot of reasons are possible.. you could check two things first:

have you been assigned a dns-server that should be able to resolve the name
of your exchange server? please use the command line utility again and type
ipconfig /all. then look if you received a dns-server for your
pptp-connection.

it also could happen that your firewall is not allowing outgoing
dns-requests, you can check that in your advanced firewall configuration.
look at outgoing rules and then outgoing dns requests.

maybe you prefer to workaround your issue? if you use the vpn only to
connect your outlook, you could ask your corpadmin if rpc over https is also
available with your mailsystem. then you wouldn't need the vpn.
another possibility would be to manually add the name and the ip address of
your exchange server to vista. (hosts file in windows\system32\drivers\etc)


"RMcCabe" wrote:

> Enrico, thanks for your help, it's greatly appreciated. I got the following
> error "Ping request could not find the host ExcangeSvr.Domain.com. Please
> check the name and try again."
>
> When i do this from my XP machine it works. When I setup the VPN on Vista I
> went throught to try and make sure the settings were the same, most are, but
> Vistua has some addditional options not in XP.
>
> Thank you Enrico.
>
> "enrico sudo" wrote:
>
> > hallo,
> >
> > have you checked if the name of your exchange server can be resolved?
> > you can do that by using the command line utlility (accessoires) and then
> > type ping your_exchange_server
> >
> > please post the results after that..
> >
> >
> > "RMcCabe" wrote:
> >
> > > When I set up my VPN it appears to work (it says it's connected, and double
> > > checked VPN setting against my XP machine which seem identical), but the
> > > when I try to connect Outlook 2007 to my work Exchange Server it does
> > > not connect. I get one of the following errors,
> > >
> > > "The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable. Outlook
> > > must be online or connected to complete this action."
> > >
> > > "The name cannot be resolved. The connection to the Microsoft Exchange
> > > Server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this
> > > action."
> > >
> > > I was able to connect Outlook 2007 on XP Home SP2 with no problems.
> > >
> > > Any help would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise everthing else is working
> > > great. Thank you.
> > >

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2007
=?Utf-8?B?Uk1jQ2FiZQ==?=
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Vista VPN to Exchange Svr
enrico, thanks for your help. I looked at both and for the ipconfig /all -
not sure what I'm looking for there, i didn't see any listings for pptp?
Also, I looked in the Windows Firewall settings and didn't see any options
for enabling VPN incoming/outgoing requests?

Any other ideas/suggestions.

I appreciate your help.

"enrico sudo" wrote:

> hallo rmccabe,
>
> now where we know that it is a dns-problem, we have to find the reason for
> that.
> but a lot of reasons are possible.. you could check two things first:
>
> have you been assigned a dns-server that should be able to resolve the name
> of your exchange server? please use the command line utility again and type
> ipconfig /all. then look if you received a dns-server for your
> pptp-connection.
>
> it also could happen that your firewall is not allowing outgoing
> dns-requests, you can check that in your advanced firewall configuration.
> look at outgoing rules and then outgoing dns requests.
>
> maybe you prefer to workaround your issue? if you use the vpn only to
> connect your outlook, you could ask your corpadmin if rpc over https is also
> available with your mailsystem. then you wouldn't need the vpn.
> another possibility would be to manually add the name and the ip address of
> your exchange server to vista. (hosts file in windows\system32\drivers\etc)
>
>
> "RMcCabe" wrote:
>
> > Enrico, thanks for your help, it's greatly appreciated. I got the following
> > error "Ping request could not find the host ExcangeSvr.Domain.com. Please
> > check the name and try again."
> >
> > When i do this from my XP machine it works. When I setup the VPN on Vista I
> > went throught to try and make sure the settings were the same, most are, but
> > Vistua has some addditional options not in XP.
> >
> > Thank you Enrico.
> >
> > "enrico sudo" wrote:
> >
> > > hallo,
> > >
> > > have you checked if the name of your exchange server can be resolved?
> > > you can do that by using the command line utlility (accessoires) and then
> > > type ping your_exchange_server
> > >
> > > please post the results after that..
> > >
> > >
> > > "RMcCabe" wrote:
> > >
> > > > When I set up my VPN it appears to work (it says it's connected, and double
> > > > checked VPN setting against my XP machine which seem identical), but the
> > > > when I try to connect Outlook 2007 to my work Exchange Server it does
> > > > not connect. I get one of the following errors,
> > > >
> > > > "The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable. Outlook
> > > > must be online or connected to complete this action."
> > > >
> > > > "The name cannot be resolved. The connection to the Microsoft Exchange
> > > > Server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this
> > > > action."
> > > >
> > > > I was able to connect Outlook 2007 on XP Home SP2 with no problems.
> > > >
> > > > Any help would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise everthing else is working
> > > > great. Thank you.
> > > >

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2007
Rich
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista VPN to Exchange Svr
Fix released recently for vpn issues.
Do an update and test.
Now my problem is that the link drops with a RAS 829 error...
Looking into that now.

Rich

"enrico sudo" <enricosudo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:FE26C849-640B-4B58-9649-BA4D16540959@microsoft.com...
> hallo,
>
> have you checked if the name of your exchange server can be resolved?
> you can do that by using the command line utlility (accessoires) and then
> type ping your_exchange_server
>
> please post the results after that..
>
>
> "RMcCabe" wrote:
>
>> When I set up my VPN it appears to work (it says it's connected, and
>> double
>> checked VPN setting against my XP machine which seem identical), but the
>> when I try to connect Outlook 2007 to my work Exchange Server it does
>> not connect. I get one of the following errors,
>>
>> "The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable. Outlook
>> must be online or connected to complete this action."
>>
>> "The name cannot be resolved. The connection to the Microsoft Exchange
>> Server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete
>> this
>> action."
>>
>> I was able to connect Outlook 2007 on XP Home SP2 with no problems.
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise everthing else is
>> working
>> great. Thank you.
>>


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2007
=?Utf-8?B?Uk1jQ2FiZQ==?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista VPN to Exchange Svr
Thanks Rich, and all else who contributed. I was able to resolve this by
changing the IP4 networking advanced options, then selecting "Use the
following DNS server address" option.

Thanks for your help

"Rich" wrote:

> Fix released recently for vpn issues.
> Do an update and test.
> Now my problem is that the link drops with a RAS 829 error...
> Looking into that now.
>
> Rich
>
> "enrico sudo" <enricosudo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:FE26C849-640B-4B58-9649-BA4D16540959@microsoft.com...
> > hallo,
> >
> > have you checked if the name of your exchange server can be resolved?
> > you can do that by using the command line utlility (accessoires) and then
> > type ping your_exchange_server
> >
> > please post the results after that..
> >
> >
> > "RMcCabe" wrote:
> >
> >> When I set up my VPN it appears to work (it says it's connected, and
> >> double
> >> checked VPN setting against my XP machine which seem identical), but the
> >> when I try to connect Outlook 2007 to my work Exchange Server it does
> >> not connect. I get one of the following errors,
> >>
> >> "The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable. Outlook
> >> must be online or connected to complete this action."
> >>
> >> "The name cannot be resolved. The connection to the Microsoft Exchange
> >> Server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete
> >> this
> >> action."
> >>
> >> I was able to connect Outlook 2007 on XP Home SP2 with no problems.
> >>
> >> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise everthing else is
> >> working
> >> great. Thank you.
> >>

>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I Import MS Exchange .pst Files Into Vista Windows Mail? jlwn777@att.net microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 18 03-09-2007 01:43
Is Vista crippled by DRM? Eddie Bauer microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 11 03-03-2007 03:50
Vista backup question for MVPs Malcolm H microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 13 03-02-2007 05:36
Dave Pogue Reviews Vista in the NYT "Vista Wins on Looks. As for lacks..." Chad Harris microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 28 03-01-2007 20:46
Synch Exchange Server and Vista Mail & Contacts =?Utf-8?B?Sm9u?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 0 02-08-2007 18:31




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:23.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120