Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download

Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

RE: Wireless networking issues Public/Private constant checking

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing

Speedup My PC
Old 12-23-2006
=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbCBNb29yZQ==?=

RE: Wireless networking issues Public/Private constant checking
Yes, I appear to have the same problem. I have a new desktop in home office
on wireless network with 4 other machines, all on encrypted network behind
router. Works perfectly when hard-wired. Running wireless it identifies as
a private network. Then after a while it goes to "Identifying" and changes
network type to public. After an hour or two it blocks the connection and I
have to reboot.

"Chris Moore" wrote:

> Not noticed this until build 5744. Wireless connections shown in Network
> and Sharing seem to be constantly reviewed, my connection defined as Work
> keeps switching to Identifying. At home my other laptop does the same but
> during the Identifying it drops the Network discovery so I cannot access
> machines on my network.
>
> Anyone else experiencing this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris
>

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2008

shogun is on a distinguished road
Constantly "Identifying" Private Network
Quote:
Originally Posted by =?Utf-8?B?QmlsbCBNb29yZQ==?= View Post
Yes, I appear to have the same problem. I have a new desktop in home office
on wireless network with 4 other machines, all on encrypted network behind
router. Works perfectly when hard-wired. Running wireless it identifies as
a private network. Then after a while it goes to "Identifying" and changes
network type to public. After an hour or two it blocks the connection and I
have to reboot.

"Chris Moore" wrote:

> Not noticed this until build 5744. Wireless connections shown in Network
> and Sharing seem to be constantly reviewed, my connection defined as Work
> keeps switching to Identifying. At home my other laptop does the same but
> during the Identifying it drops the Network discovery so I cannot access
> machines on my network.
>
> Anyone else experiencing this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris
>
I know I am responding to something posted over a year ago but lets see how I go! I have just got windows vista home premium. The wireless connection says "local and internet" but it is constantly saying "identifying" - then it finds the private network, then it drops back to public network and says "identifying" - finds the private network, then drops back and does it all over again. It's in an endless loop.

I need it to be a private network 100% of the time so I can connect wirelessly with my other computer via my wireless router.

Interestingly my other computer (Compaq Laptop) runs Windows Vista Business and it connects fine. So possibly this is a windows vista home premium issue? Or it is some other weird hardware conflict on my desktop.

I have a new D-Link internal wireless card in the desktop and I have a NetComm wireless modem router. I used to have a Belkin one but just changed it over recently to NetComm in order to rule out an issue with the wireless router. Either one makes no difference so the wireless router is fine.
Old 03-24-2008

shogun is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
I know I am responding to something posted over a year ago but lets see how I go! I have just got windows vista home premium. The wireless connection says "local and internet" but it is constantly saying "identifying" - then it finds the private network, then it drops back to public network and says "identifying" - finds the private network, then drops back and does it all over again. It's in an endless loop.

I need it to be a private network 100% of the time so I can connect wirelessly with my other computer via my wireless router.

Interestingly my other computer (Compaq Laptop) runs Windows Vista Business and it connects fine. So possibly this is a windows vista home premium issue? Or it is some other weird hardware conflict on my desktop.

I have a new D-Link internal wireless card in the desktop and I have a NetComm wireless modem router. I used to have a Belkin one but just changed it over recently to NetComm in order to rule out an issue with the wireless router. Either one makes no difference so the wireless router is fine.
Just some added info - MIGHT have solved it myself - will do some more testing tomorrow. I suspect this has something to do settings on Norton 360 firewall.
Old 08-03-2008

gazzyw is on a distinguished road
I managed to fix this issue by actually turning 'ON' the windows firewall in vista. Don't have time to investigate why that worked.