Routing of APIPA ip addresses

Andreas Wruhs

Routing of APIPA ip addresses
Hi there

does somebody know how to enable routing of ip ranges in the 169.254.x.x
subnet over the default gw?
when we manually add a route via the cmd all is functional but it seems that
ms disabled the automatic routing of APIPA range over the default gw!

thnxs andi

Robert Moir

Re: Routing of APIPA ip addresses
Andreas Wruhs wrote:
> Hi there
>
> does somebody know how to enable routing of ip ranges in the
> 169.254.x.x subnet over the default gw?
> when we manually add a route via the cmd all is functional but it
> seems that ms disabled the automatic routing of APIPA range over the
> default gw!

Well I personally wouldn't use the APIPA range of addresses for anything
sophisticated enough to require routing, but when you manually add a route,
I assume you're doing this with the 'ROUTE ADD' command? You can add a -p at
the end of the command to make the route you've just defined persistent -
have you tried this and found it didn't work?

Andreas Wruhs

"Robert Moir" <robspamtrap@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Andreas Wruhs wrote:
>> Hi there
>>
>> does somebody know how to enable routing of ip ranges in the
>> 169.254.x.x subnet over the default gw?
>> when we manually add a route via the cmd all is functional but it
>> seems that ms disabled the automatic routing of APIPA range over the
>> default gw!

> Well I personally wouldn't use the APIPA range of addresses for anything
> sophisticated enough to require routing, but when you manually add a
> route, I assume you're doing this with the 'ROUTE ADD' command? You can
> add a -p at the end of the command to make the route you've just defined
> persistent - have you tried this and found it didn't work?

as i said when adding a route permanent or not everything is working - but
i guess there is
a reg key where you can enable or disable this behavior!

Andi

AJR

Re: Routing of APIPA ip addresses
IPs in the 169 (private addresses) set are automatically assigned by Windows
when DHCP not available. With 169 addresses, computers can only
communication within their network - they have no access outside of their
network (public IPs required - such as 192.*.*.*).

Andreas Wruhs wrote:
> "Robert Moir" <robspamtrap@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Andreas Wruhs wrote:
>>> Hi there
>>>
>>> does somebody know how to enable routing of ip ranges in the
>>> 169.254.x.x subnet over the default gw?
>>> when we manually add a route via the cmd all is functional but it
>>> seems that ms disabled the automatic routing of APIPA range over the
>>> default gw!

>> Well I personally wouldn't use the APIPA range of addresses for
>> anything sophisticated enough to require routing, but when you
>> manually add a route, I assume you're doing this with the 'ROUTE
>> ADD' command? You can add a -p at the end of the command to make the
>> route you've just defined persistent - have you tried this and found
>> it didn't work?

> as i said when adding a route permanent or not everything is working
> - but i guess there is
> a reg key where you can enable or disable this behavior!

Long story short, you're not "supposed" to route traffic to/from that
subnet, it's purely meant for very simple networks, so I'm not surprised you
have to work hard to get it to route traffic.

Andreas Wruhs

Re: Routing of APIPA ip addresses
We know all of that - but du you know how to enable the routing or not? - In
2000, XP, 2003 it works!!

"AJR" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> IPs in the 169 (private addresses) set are automatically assigned by
> Windows when DHCP not available. With 169 addresses, computers can only
> communication within their network - they have no access outside of their
> network (public IPs required - such as 192.*.*.*).
>
> "Andreas Wruhs" <aw@taonet.at> wrote in message
>> Hi there
>>
>> does somebody know how to enable routing of ip ranges in the 169.254.x.x
>> subnet over the default gw?
>> when we manually add a route via the cmd all is functional but it seems
>> that ms disabled the automatic routing of APIPA range over the default
>> gw!
>>
>> thnxs andi

Kerry Brown

Re: Routing of APIPA ip addresses
The fact that it used to work doesn't mean it always will. It was never
supposed to work and using the fact that it sometimes worked was a mistake.
You would be much better off to redesign the network properly so it doesn't
break again in the future.

"169.254.0.0/16 - This is the "link local" block. It is allocated for
communication between hosts on a single link. Hosts obtain these
addresses by auto-configuration, such as when a DHCP server may
not be found."

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3330

--
Kerry Brown