Sound Problem with Wireless Card

Chris

Sound Problem with Wireless Card
I am having a strange problem where the wireless card appears to be causing
problems with the sound in Vista RTM. I am using a Draft N Netgear Router.
Everything works OK when I use a Broadcom chipset PCI adapter, but the Top
Dog chipset, and the Atheros chipset cause crackling and slow playback of
MP3s. This affects the sound whether I use my sound card, or the onboard
sound. The Netgear WN311B works fine (Broadcom chipset), but the Netgear
WN121T (Top Dog) causes problems, as does the Trendnet Draft N Adapter
(Atheros). I have used the beta Vista drivers for the WN121T with no
improvement, MP3s keep slowing down intermittently, or I get a lot of
crackling noises. I have tried using a different router, again with no
improvement. The card itself does not seem to be the problem, as it is only
when I connect to the wireless network that I get the problems.
Any ideas?
Regards
Chris

B J W

Re: Sound Problem with Wireless Card
I have the Atheros chipset wireless adapter working against a Netgear
router.

I had problems, which may be similar to what you describe. (Then,
again, maybe not.) But, things cleared up after I downloaded and
installed a Vista Beta driver from Creative for my Audigy soundcard.

As you, perhaps, know Vista has changed the sound architecture, in
order, among other things, to give separable volume control to
applications. You will absolutely need to upgrade the soundcard
drivers, and, unfortunately, cannot depend on the installation routine
to get this right, because many soundcard Vista drivers are still
classed as beta, awaiting the official release in late January.

The Atheros chipset should be using a Vista driver, if the installation
or Microsoft Update did their things, properly. But, you may have to go
hunting for a Vista soundcard driver, as I did. (And, I will have to do
it again, shortly, because the Beta driver times out January 23. Oh,
the pain and suffering of the bleeding edge!)