Some Wireless networks appears as local only

=?Utf-8?B?QWtyYW0=?=

Some Wireless networks appears as local only
I have been using wireless network fine until i tried to connect to a public
hotspot and it appears as local only, no internet connection. I tried it with
my mobile pc and WindowsXP and it works fine. I have checked this wireless
hotspot is 801b which is a legacy, could it be that vista wireless connection
software has a problem with legacy hotspots.
Jeff

Re: Some Wireless networks appears as local only
Akram,

If you change your battery setting to performance, instead of balanced, it
may correct that.
Some older AP's have issues with the wireless in Vista
chk this KB out:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928152

Jeff

"Akram" <Akram@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been using wireless network fine until i tried to connect to a
>public
> hotspot and it appears as local only, no internet connection. I tried it
> with
> my mobile pc and WindowsXP and it works fine. I have checked this wireless
> hotspot is 801b which is a legacy, could it be that vista wireless
> connection
> software has a problem with legacy hotspots.

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0?=

Re: Some Wireless networks appears as local only
I am also having the same issues on Vista Enterprise. Although I have
succesfully connected to a WEP wireless network with a Dlink DWL 650+ network
card in my laptop in the past, when attempting to access a WiFi hotspot with
open authentication it fails to get a DHCP address. (169. etc is what i get)

This tells me that the card and the drivers work, although there still seems
to be a problem with Vista somewhere.

I've tried different cards (linksys wireless G), three different types of
software (Dlink, AT&T, Linksys) and several other ideas that people were kind
enough to suggest. (power management, firewall, event viewer etc). I've tried
three ways from sunday to get this machine connected to a hotspot to no
avail. It simply should NOT be that difficult with a new OS.

Anyone else have any suggestions before i remove another Microsoft Windows
Millenium?

"Jeff" wrote:

> Akram,
>
> If you change your battery setting to performance, instead of balanced, it
> may correct that.
> Some older AP's have issues with the wireless in Vista
> chk this KB out:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928152
>
> Jeff
>
> "Akram" <Akram@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have been using wireless network fine until i tried to connect to a
> >public
> > hotspot and it appears as local only, no internet connection. I tried it
> > with
> > my mobile pc and WindowsXP and it works fine. I have checked this wireless
> > hotspot is 801b which is a legacy, could it be that vista wireless
> > connection
> > software has a problem with legacy hotspots.

=?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=

"Robert" wrote:
> I am also having the same issues on Vista Enterprise. Although I have
> succesfully connected to a WEP wireless network with a Dlink DWL 650+ network
> card in my laptop in the past, when attempting to access a WiFi hotspot with
> open authentication it fails to get a DHCP address. (169. etc is what i get)
>
> This tells me that the card and the drivers work, although there still seems
> to be a problem with Vista somewhere.
>
> I've tried different cards (linksys wireless G), three different types of
> software (Dlink, AT&T, Linksys) and several other ideas that people were kind
> enough to suggest. (power management, firewall, event viewer etc). I've tried
> three ways from sunday to get this machine connected to a hotspot to no
> avail. It simply should NOT be that difficult with a new OS.
>
> Anyone else have any suggestions before i remove another Microsoft Windows
> Millenium?

You have the latest Wi-Fi card drivers, specially designed
for Vista (and not legacy WinXP drivers) - correct?
You've used the Vista buil-in diagnostics to troubleshoot the connection issue
( netsh wlan ... ) - correct?

--PA

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0?=

Re: Some Wireless networks appears as local only
Vista drivers are not available - and i doubt that they will be for a legacy
802.11b card, however, the XP drivers worked just fine when i had it
connected to a WEP network. (I'm betting it would connect to anything that
was encrypted). Not sure what this is all about - It's like it stops you from
connecting to an unsecured network or something.

Ahh the Vista built in diagnostics - those are about as good as the ones on
XP, not very. As far as I'm concerned it's a glorified ipconfig /release and
/renew command built into an idiot button. Suffice to say that did not work.

I did start working on the netsh wlan, but after no initial success, i gave
up quickly.
To be honest at this point i was 2 plus hours into attempting to figure out
why i couldnt get the latest and greatest from Micorsoft connected to an open
network....

Thanks for ideas. Any others?

Robert

"Pavel A." wrote:

> "Robert" wrote:
> > I am also having the same issues on Vista Enterprise. Although I have
> > succesfully connected to a WEP wireless network with a Dlink DWL 650+ network
> > card in my laptop in the past, when attempting to access a WiFi hotspot with
> > open authentication it fails to get a DHCP address. (169. etc is what i get)
> >
> > This tells me that the card and the drivers work, although there still seems
> > to be a problem with Vista somewhere.
> >
> > I've tried different cards (linksys wireless G), three different types of
> > software (Dlink, AT&T, Linksys) and several other ideas that people were kind
> > enough to suggest. (power management, firewall, event viewer etc). I've tried
> > three ways from sunday to get this machine connected to a hotspot to no
> > avail. It simply should NOT be that difficult with a new OS.
> >
> > Anyone else have any suggestions before i remove another Microsoft Windows
> > Millenium?

> You have the latest Wi-Fi card drivers, specially designed
> for Vista (and not legacy WinXP drivers) - correct?
> You've used the Vista buil-in diagnostics to troubleshoot the connection issue
> ( netsh wlan ... ) - correct?
>
> --PA

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbCBXb29k?=

RE: Some Wireless networks appears as local only
I had the same problem, and as an old Networking hack, finally managed to get
it to work.

There are incompatabilities with Vista and some of the built-in DHCP servers
in routers. As a result, kiss off automatic assignment of network settings
for these routers (wireless or otherwise).

You will have to MANUALLY set your IP info, just like in the old days.
Unfortunately, that also means that you will have to CAN those adapter IP
setting when using true DHCP enabled routers that actually work.

Here is one solution that may work for SOME routers (but it does NOT work
for all of them!)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us

The reality is that as long as you can connect to the router (i.e. local
only connection) then the manual assignment of the IP info should get you
there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Akram" wrote:

> I have been using wireless network fine until i tried to connect to a public
> hotspot and it appears as local only, no internet connection. I tried it with
> my mobile pc and WindowsXP and it works fine. I have checked this wireless
> hotspot is 801b which is a legacy, could it be that vista wireless connection
> software has a problem with legacy hotspots.

gg@timehaven.org

Re: Some Wireless networks appears as local only
On 22 Feb, 16:58, Bill Wood <BillW...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> I had the same problem, and as an old Networking hack, finally managed to get
> it to work.
>
> There are incompatabilities with Vista and some of the built-in DHCP servers
> in routers. As a result, kiss off automatic assignment of network settings
> for these routers (wireless or otherwise).
>
> You will have to MANUALLY set your IP info, just like in the old days.
> Unfortunately, that also means that you will have to CAN those adapter IP
> setting when using true DHCP enabled routers that actually work.
>
> Here is one solution that may work for SOME routers (but it does NOT work
> for all of them!)

> The reality is that as long as you can connect to the router (i.e. local
> only connection) then the manual assignment of the IP info should get you
> there.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> "Akram" wrote:
> > I have been using wireless network fine until i tried to connect to a public
> > hotspot and it appears as local only, no internet connection. I tried it with
> > my mobile pc and WindowsXP and it works fine. I have checked this wireless
> > hotspot is 801b which is a legacy, could it be that vista wireless connection
> > software has a problem with legacy hotspots.

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mic...03f284489f27c2

Michael A. Bishop \(MSFT\)

Re: Some Wireless networks appears as local only
We've tested quite a number of IGDs for compatibility, but obviously it's
not possible to check every single one. Which IGDs have you found to be
incompatible, other than the ones with the BROADCAST issue?

"Bill Wood" <BillWood@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de
>I had the same problem, and as an old Networking hack, finally managed to
>get
> it to work.
>
> There are incompatabilities with Vista and some of the built-in DHCP
> servers
> in routers. As a result, kiss off automatic assignment of network
> settings
> for these routers (wireless or otherwise).
>
> You will have to MANUALLY set your IP info, just like in the old days.
> Unfortunately, that also means that you will have to CAN those adapter IP
> setting when using true DHCP enabled routers that actually work.
>
> Here is one solution that may work for SOME routers (but it does NOT work
> for all of them!)

> The reality is that as long as you can connect to the router (i.e. local
> only connection) then the manual assignment of the IP info should get you
> there.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> "Akram" wrote:
>
>> I have been using wireless network fine until i tried to connect to a
>> public
>> hotspot and it appears as local only, no internet connection. I tried it
>> with
>> my mobile pc and WindowsXP and it works fine. I have checked this
>> wireless
>> hotspot is 801b which is a legacy, could it be that vista wireless
>> connection
>> software has a problem with legacy hotspots.

=?Utf-8?B?Um9i?=

Re: Some Wireless networks appears as local only
OK...Similar Problem here...

I work for a 25,000 student State University that has open access wireless,
that requires authentication at the university's firewall. This normally
appears as a window that requests user name and password as soon as you open
a browser.

Vista simply won't do this. There is no way to assign manual IPs to a
student, and the software is not allowing anything past a local level only.

What do I do?

Papa

Re: Some Wireless networks appears as local only
I wish I could help you. However, your best bet is to read the posts in this
forum and elsewhere. Perhaps you will find a solution in one of them. Google
can quickly narrow the search time for the other forums.

If that doesn't help, then you have two choices. In the short run, either go
back to Windows XP or forget wireless and have everyone use Ethernet cables.
In the long run, wait for Vista SP1 to come out, whenever that will be - in
the hope that a solution will become available.

Frankly, I am a little surprised that a university would switch to Vista
shortly after it was released. Not very prudent.