can't install driver from NT4.0

ivanvalles

can't install driver from NT4.0
When I try to connect to a printer located in a Win XP PRO machine,
receive this error in my Vista machine:

"Windows cannot connect to the printer
The printer driver is not compatible with
a policy enable on your computer that
blocks NT 4.0 drivers."

any help
thanks,
ivan.

Bruce Sanderson

Re: can't install driver from NT4.0
On the XP computer, in Printers and Faxes, File, Server Properties, Drivers,
for the particular printer, under Version, does it mention Windows NT 4?

If so, the driver you have installed is a "Printer Driver Model Version 2"
driver (and "NT 4" driver) and not "compatible" with Vista.

You have a couple of choices:

1. replace the driver on the XP computer with a "Printer Driver Model
Version 3" driver (e.g. one for XP and 2003) - check the manufacturer's web
site
2. if the printer model you have has a Vista driver "in-box", you can
probably add that to the XP computer as an Additional Driver
a. on the Vista computer, log on with a user account that has the same name
and password as user account on the XP computer (other than Administrator) -
if you are in a Windows Domain, use a Domain user account that is a member
of the local Administrators group on the XP computer
b. click Start, Run; key \\ followed by the name of the XP computer; press
Enter
c. double click on Printers in the Explorer window that opens
d. click File, Server Properties; select the Drivers tab
e. click Add...
f. click Next
g. make sure there is only one check mark - if you are using Vista 32 bit
use x86 - if you are using Vista 64 bit, use x64; click Next
h: select the Manufacturer and Printer; click Next; click Finish

If the driver name for the Vista driver is identical to that for the XP
driver (it usually, but not always is), you should now be able to connect to
the printer on the XP computer.

If this doesn't work, reply with the exact printer manufacturer and model
you have; these issues are very printer ideosyncratic, so generic solutions
don't always work.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders

"ivanvalles" <tallerborinquen@onelinkpr.net> wrote in message
> When I try to connect to a printer located in a Win XP PRO machine,
> receive this error in my Vista machine:
>
> "Windows cannot connect to the printer
> The printer driver is not compatible with
> a policy enable on your computer that
> blocks NT 4.0 drivers."
>
> any help
> thanks,
> ivan.

=?Utf-8?B?TGFycnkgQm90aGVyYXM=?=

Re: can't install driver from NT4.0
Hi Bruce,

Yhis is exactly my issue. I have followed your steps exactly, but the Add
button in the drivers tab is greyed out... Printer is an old Samsung ML4500
and although they say the drivers are XP they are version 2 drivers not v
3... Any suggestions apart from binning the printer?

Larry Botheras
Group Tech Manager
TfL

"Bruce Sanderson" wrote:

> On the XP computer, in Printers and Faxes, File, Server Properties, Drivers,
> for the particular printer, under Version, does it mention Windows NT 4?
>
> If so, the driver you have installed is a "Printer Driver Model Version 2"
> driver (and "NT 4" driver) and not "compatible" with Vista.
>
> You have a couple of choices:
>
> 1. replace the driver on the XP computer with a "Printer Driver Model
> Version 3" driver (e.g. one for XP and 2003) - check the manufacturer's web
> site
> 2. if the printer model you have has a Vista driver "in-box", you can
> probably add that to the XP computer as an Additional Driver
> a. on the Vista computer, log on with a user account that has the same name
> and password as user account on the XP computer (other than Administrator) -
> if you are in a Windows Domain, use a Domain user account that is a member
> of the local Administrators group on the XP computer
> b. click Start, Run; key \\ followed by the name of the XP computer; press
> Enter
> c. double click on Printers in the Explorer window that opens
> d. click File, Server Properties; select the Drivers tab
> e. click Add...
> f. click Next
> g. make sure there is only one check mark - if you are using Vista 32 bit
> use x86 - if you are using Vista 64 bit, use x64; click Next
> h: select the Manufacturer and Printer; click Next; click Finish
>
> If the driver name for the Vista driver is identical to that for the XP
> driver (it usually, but not always is), you should now be able to connect to
> the printer on the XP computer.
>
> If this doesn't work, reply with the exact printer manufacturer and model
> you have; these issues are very printer ideosyncratic, so generic solutions
> don't always work.
>
> --
> Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders
>
> It is perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.
>

> "ivanvalles" <tallerborinquen@onelinkpr.net> wrote in message
> > When I try to connect to a printer located in a Win XP PRO machine,
> > receive this error in my Vista machine:
> >
> > "Windows cannot connect to the printer
> > The printer driver is not compatible with
> > a policy enable on your computer that
> > blocks NT 4.0 drivers."
> >
> > any help
> > thanks,
> > ivan.

=?Utf-8?B?TGFycnkgQm90aGVyYXM=?=

Re: can't install driver from NT4.0
Hi Bruce,

I have this precise issue with a Samsung ML4500, and follwoed your route...
Unfortunately on a Workgroup, the Add button on the Drivers tab is greyed
out... Any suggestion apart from binning the printer?

Larry Botheras
Group TEch Manager
TfL London

"Bruce Sanderson" wrote:

> On the XP computer, in Printers and Faxes, File, Server Properties, Drivers,
> for the particular printer, under Version, does it mention Windows NT 4?
>
> If so, the driver you have installed is a "Printer Driver Model Version 2"
> driver (and "NT 4" driver) and not "compatible" with Vista.
>
> You have a couple of choices:
>
> 1. replace the driver on the XP computer with a "Printer Driver Model
> Version 3" driver (e.g. one for XP and 2003) - check the manufacturer's web
> site
> 2. if the printer model you have has a Vista driver "in-box", you can
> probably add that to the XP computer as an Additional Driver
> a. on the Vista computer, log on with a user account that has the same name
> and password as user account on the XP computer (other than Administrator) -
> if you are in a Windows Domain, use a Domain user account that is a member
> of the local Administrators group on the XP computer
> b. click Start, Run; key \\ followed by the name of the XP computer; press
> Enter
> c. double click on Printers in the Explorer window that opens
> d. click File, Server Properties; select the Drivers tab
> e. click Add...
> f. click Next
> g. make sure there is only one check mark - if you are using Vista 32 bit
> use x86 - if you are using Vista 64 bit, use x64; click Next
> h: select the Manufacturer and Printer; click Next; click Finish
>
> If the driver name for the Vista driver is identical to that for the XP
> driver (it usually, but not always is), you should now be able to connect to
> the printer on the XP computer.
>
> If this doesn't work, reply with the exact printer manufacturer and model
> you have; these issues are very printer ideosyncratic, so generic solutions
> don't always work.
>
> --
> Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders
>
> It is perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.
>

> "ivanvalles" <tallerborinquen@onelinkpr.net> wrote in message
> > When I try to connect to a printer located in a Win XP PRO machine,
> > receive this error in my Vista machine:
> >
> > "Windows cannot connect to the printer
> > The printer driver is not compatible with
> > a policy enable on your computer that
> > blocks NT 4.0 drivers."
> >
> > any help
> > thanks,
> > ivan.

Bruce Sanderson

Re: can't install driver from NT4.0
I see that the driver available from the Samsung web site is also Version 2,
so no luck there!

There may be other printers that are "compatible enough" to provide basic
printing capability. I notice that there is a Version 3 driver for the
Samsung ML-4600 on both Windows Server 2003 (R2) and Vista. You can add a
Samsung ML-4600 PCL 6 printer on the same Port on the server as the ML-4500
is on, share it and try connecting to it from Vista to see if that works.

--

"Larry Botheras" <Larry Botheras@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>
>> If the driver name for the Vista driver is identical to that for the XP
>> driver (it usually, but not always is), you should now be able to connect
>> the printer on the XP computer.
>>
>> If this doesn't work, reply with the exact printer manufacturer and model
>> you have; these issues are very printer ideosyncratic, so generic
>> solutions
>> don't always work.
>>
>> --
>> Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
>> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders
>>
>> It is perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.
>>

>> "ivanvalles" <tallerborinquen@onelinkpr.net> wrote in message
>> > When I try to connect to a printer located in a Win XP PRO machine,
>> > receive this error in my Vista machine:
>> >
>> > "Windows cannot connect to the printer
>> > The printer driver is not compatible with

Samsung have now come out with a Vista Driver, but it can't be installed on
the XP machine... Rats. My current thinking is to use an XP Virtual box to
do the printing... CLumsy

Larry Botheras
Group Tech Manager
TfL