2003 Network Share Painfully Slow

=?Utf-8?B?cmVubmVyYQ==?=

2003 Network Share Painfully Slow
Hi I installed windows Vista Ultimate RTM on an AMD Turion64 2Ghz processor
with 2GB of ram.

Everything is running very well except for explorer with network shares. It
takes anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes to open a network folder. The same
machine with XP is instantaneous. Other computers on the network are
instantaneous to the same shares as well.

Using a Dell P4 1.6GHz on the same connection is also instantaneous.

Exploring locally on Vista is very fast.

This is a show stopper if I can't get this fixed. The only other thing I
have installed is Etrust Antivirus. I tried disabling Etrust and the
realtime monitor and it is still dog slow.

I have also tried disabling the autotuninglevel as well as the windows
firewall.

I also tried connecting using the ip address instead of the FQDN.

Here is my original post which was in "General"
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...f-15bbd57c406c
CoastalData

Re: 2003 Network Share Painfully Slow
Hello, I'm working on this, too! I have some help, though.

The first thing I did when setting it up, by force of habit, was to force
the network adapter to use 100MBit Full Duplex, but that caused the network
be be locked down to around 1 - 200 kbits, terrible!

After some research, I tried several things including the autotuninglevel,
and some other things, but finally accidentally reset my network settings by
deleting and reinstalling the network adapter via the device manager...
After doing this, I was finally able to copy files with some degree of
performance!

There are also some discussions on the Internet about possible interactions
between WiFi and Lan where the lan may be limited, ala autotuninglevel, to
that of the WiFi, so if you have both on the affected system, you might want
to do some googling.

--Jon

"rennera" <rennera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi I installed windows Vista Ultimate RTM on an AMD Turion64 2Ghz
> processor
> with 2GB of ram.
>
> Everything is running very well except for explorer with network shares.
> It
> takes anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes to open a network folder. The same
> machine with XP is instantaneous. Other computers on the network are
> instantaneous to the same shares as well.
>
> Using a Dell P4 1.6GHz on the same connection is also instantaneous.
>
> Exploring locally on Vista is very fast.
>
> This is a show stopper if I can't get this fixed. The only other thing I
> have installed is Etrust Antivirus. I tried disabling Etrust and the
> realtime monitor and it is still dog slow.
>
> I have also tried disabling the autotuninglevel as well as the windows
> firewall.
>
> I also tried connecting using the ip address instead of the FQDN.
>
> Here is my original post which was in "General"
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...f-15bbd57c406c

=?Utf-8?B?cmVubmVyYQ==?=

Re: 2003 Network Share Painfully Slow
I am vacation until the 28th but will try it then...

Thanks - I will let you know how it goes.

"CoastalData" wrote:

> Hello, I'm working on this, too! I have some help, though.
>
> The first thing I did when setting it up, by force of habit, was to force
> the network adapter to use 100MBit Full Duplex, but that caused the network
> be be locked down to around 1 - 200 kbits, terrible!
>
> After some research, I tried several things including the autotuninglevel,
> and some other things, but finally accidentally reset my network settings by
> deleting and reinstalling the network adapter via the device manager...
> After doing this, I was finally able to copy files with some degree of
> performance!
>
> There are also some discussions on the Internet about possible interactions
> between WiFi and Lan where the lan may be limited, ala autotuninglevel, to
> that of the WiFi, so if you have both on the affected system, you might want
> to do some googling.
>
> --Jon
>
> "rennera" <rennera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi I installed windows Vista Ultimate RTM on an AMD Turion64 2Ghz
> > processor
> > with 2GB of ram.
> >
> > Everything is running very well except for explorer with network shares.
> > It
> > takes anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes to open a network folder. The same
> > machine with XP is instantaneous. Other computers on the network are
> > instantaneous to the same shares as well.
> >
> > Using a Dell P4 1.6GHz on the same connection is also instantaneous.
> >
> > Exploring locally on Vista is very fast.
> >
> > This is a show stopper if I can't get this fixed. The only other thing I
> > have installed is Etrust Antivirus. I tried disabling Etrust and the
> > realtime monitor and it is still dog slow.
> >
> > I have also tried disabling the autotuninglevel as well as the windows
> > firewall.
> >
> > I also tried connecting using the ip address instead of the FQDN.
> >
> > Here is my original post which was in "General"
> > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...f-15bbd57c406c

=?Utf-8?B?cmVubmVyYQ==?=

Re: 2003 Network Share Painfully Slow
Removed the network driver. Same results...

BYE BYE VISTA... I made a complete system backup... I will revisit this in 6
months or so... hopefully they will have fixed this by then.

Until then this is simply unusable.