Remote Desktop: Keys Ctrl, Alt, Shift do not function

Sander G

Remote Desktop: Keys Ctrl, Alt, Shift do not function
I am using RDP from a laptop with Vista Home Premium to XP Pro SP2. Both
are US English versions with regional settings to Dutch and the US
International keyboard layout.

Locally on the laptop everything works fine. However when connecting to the
XP box (in full screen mode), the Ctrl, Alt and Shift keys are not
functioning. The same applies to selecting text with the mouse. The impact
is that capitals can only be typed with Caps Lock, and characters like
brackets, double quotes etc. cannot be typed at all.

The computers are on the same subnet, with only a switch in between -
nothing fancy.

If you have seen this before or think of a solution, please let me know -
it's not really workable in this way ;-)

Thanks,
Sander
David Wright

Re: Remote Desktop: Keys Ctrl, Alt, Shift do not function
In the Remote Desktop Options, under the "Local Resources" tab, what do you
have selected in "Keyboard"?

Sander G

Re: Remote Desktop: Keys Ctrl, Alt, Shift do not function
"David Wright" <d_wright@hotpop.com> wrote in

> In the Remote Desktop Options, under the "Local Resources" tab, what
> do you have selected in "Keyboard"?

'in full screen mode only', but 'on the remote computer' does not make any
difference.

Selecting text with the mouse also does not work, perhaps this is sent as a
shift-arrow combination...

Thanks,
Sander

Sander G

Re: Remote Desktop: Keys Ctrl, Alt, Shift do not function
Sander G <news@sander.goudswaard.verwijderdit.cx> wrote in
news:Xns989B488E786487574505Bjvrqvgyrrfgv@194.109. 133.242:

> Selecting text with the mouse also does not work, perhaps this is sent
> as a shift-arrow combination...

But, copying mstsc.exe and mstscax.dll from the XP box and launching it on
the Vista box resolves the problem :-?

Weird, very weird.

Sander
David Wright

Re: Remote Desktop: Keys Ctrl, Alt, Shift do not function
What version of Remote Desktop are you using on the XP Pro machine? There
was an updated version released on 11/28/06. I'd suggest reverting those
files on Vista back to the originals and try the update.

Link:

KB925876: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=925876

Sander G

> What version of Remote Desktop are you using on the XP Pro machine?
> There was an updated version released on 11/28/06. I'd suggest
> reverting those files on Vista back to the originals and try the
> update.

The update is client only. The XP machine is the host, so applying a client
update there should not make any difference.

Regards,
Sander