vista to xp share over wlan

=?Utf-8?B?R2F2aW4=?=

vista to xp share over wlan

I am having trouble connecting a Vista Ultimate laptop to a share on an Xp
pc using a wireless network using a WPA secure wireless network.

I can see the pc and explore its shares, but I am unable to connect to it.
When trying to connect to \\home_pc\d$ I see one of the following error
messages.

\\home pc is not accessible. You might not have

permission to use this network resource. Contact the

administrator of this server to find out if you have

network permissions.

Access is denied.

Or

\\home pc is not accessible. You might not have

permission to use this network resource. Contact the

administrator of this server to find out if you have

network permissions. Access is denied.

The specified network name is no longer available

I have marked the network as secure and tried disabling firewalls etc.

I am able to connect to my office server (via vpn) and when in the office I
can connect to my home XP pc using the vpn link.

Regards,

Gavin Lilley

Jan Ilacqua [MVP]

Re: vista to xp share over wlan
Hi Gavin :-)

Check your permissions. I had a similar problem, and I had to set the
permissions properly. You will likely need to delete the "Everyone."

Check the following and see if it helps:

Iif you look carefully, you will see that the Everyone entry has "Special
Permissions" "Deny".

Deny permission entries take precedence over Allow permission entries.
While the Everyone Deny entry is present, granting yourself Full Control or
taking ownership won't make any difference.

If you click Advanced and investigate further, you will see that the "Deny"
permission is for "This folder only".

You (as an Administrator) are only Denied permission to exactly the
"Documents and Settings" (pseudo) folder. If you (or any application you
use) attempt(s) to access a sub-folder directly, you will have access.

E.g.
in Start, Run, key
c:\Documents and Settings\Default
press Enter

that folder will open in Explorer and you will be able to navigate around in
it. If you look at the Properties, Security for the Default sub-folder,
you'll see that "Everyone" has Full Control permissions and there are no
"Deny"
permissions.

As has been explained elsewhere, "Documents and Settings" is not a "real
folder" but rather a Directory Junction to the Users folder. It is only
this Directory Junction itself that has the "Deny" permissions, not the
folder that is the target of the Directory Junction.

Several people in MSFT and elsewhere have "explained" why the "Deny"
permission was created in the first place (to avoid potential loops ?), but
I have yet to see a rational and sensible reason that makes sense to me!

In most cases, applications will refer to %userprofile% or the expanded
equivalent (e.g. c:\documents and settings\username) and thus users will not
run into the Deny issue in applications (other than Explorer). One can
avoid the problem in Explorer simply by using the target folder (Users)
instead of Documents and Settings in Explorer.

Per Bill Sanderson - MVP

also, you might try the following and see if it helps:

Steps for setting up a home network with XP and Vista machines on the same
network.

1. Open Firewall and in exceptions tab select
a. "Core networking"
b. "File and printer sharing"
c. "Network Discovery"
d. "Windows Peer to peer Collaboration" (not needed but does no harm, is
needed for access pre XP OS'es)

This step (no 1) shouldn't be needed if all goes well from the settings
below, use these only if you keep having problems!

Open the Network and Sharing Center and do the following points

2. set the network category to "Private network" (Your network name here)

3. set in Network and sharing Center the options
a. Network discovery to "On"
b. File Sharing to "On"
c. Public folder sharing to "On" the middle selection so Everyone with
Access can Open, change and create files.
d. Password protection to "On" if used with password or "Of" if not wanted
e. Media sharing to "On" if needed

Click on "Apply" button at bottom of each section before closing!!

4. For sharing folders or drive go to "Computer
a. If sharing the drive right click the drive and select "Share."
b. Select the Advanced Sharing button (allow this if needed)
c. Select share this folder (at the top!)
d. Give a new name for the share (a name to be clear to yourself what this
is) for example pictures (if a folder) or dataXX if a drive
e. Beneath select the button permissions, select the full control for
Everyone
f. Click apply (and OK) again on the next screen (both) and Close the last
screen to close
g. Reboot the PC if needed (just to be sure, normally not needed!)

If you want to share a folder it's all the same, but you have to go to the
folder first and then execute step 4 on the folder.

If all has gone as expected you now have access from all your other machines
on the same network to those shares.

Hope this helps.

Jan
MS MVP - Windows IE

> I am having trouble connecting a Vista Ultimate laptop to a share on an Xp
> pc using a wireless network using a WPA secure wireless network.
>
> I can see the pc and explore its shares, but I am unable to connect to it.
> When trying to connect to \\home_pc\d$ I see one of the following error
> messages.
>
> \\home pc is not accessible. You might not have
>
> permission to use this network resource. Contact the
>
> administrator of this server to find out if you have
>
> network permissions.
>
> Access is denied.
>

> Or
>
> \\home pc is not accessible. You might not have
>
> permission to use this network resource. Contact the
>
> administrator of this server to find out if you have
>
> network permissions. Access is denied.
>
> The specified network name is no longer available
>

> I have marked the network as secure and tried disabling firewalls etc.
>
> I am able to connect to my office server (via vpn) and when in the office
> can connect to my home XP pc using the vpn link.
>

> Regards,
>
> Gavin Lilley

=?Utf-8?B?R2F2aW4=?=

Re: vista to xp share over wlan
Thank you for your help Jan.

I have tried many different permissions and although I havent gotten to the
root of the problem - I am sure that you are correct in your diagnosis.

The other (related) problem I have is with regards to remote desktop. I have
found that it is not possible to connect to the xp machine over wlan, a
connection is attempted, a blank rdc windows is opened - but login
credentials are never requested.

I can however connect to rdc by either connecting through the vpn to my
desktop at work and then initialling a rdp back to my home pc.

I understood the a secure wlan marked as ‘private’ should cause no issue to
vista – am I doing soemthing incorrectly?

Regards,

Gavin Lilley

Jan Il

"Gavin" <Gavin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thank you for your help Jan.
>
> I have tried many different permissions and although I havent gotten to
> the
> root of the problem - I am sure that you are correct in your diagnosis.
>
> The other (related) problem I have is with regards to remote desktop. I
> have
> found that it is not possible to connect to the xp machine over wlan, a
> connection is attempted, a blank rdc windows is opened - but login
> credentials are never requested.
>
> I can however connect to rdc by either connecting through the vpn to my
> desktop at work and then initialling a rdp back to my home pc.
>
> I understood the a secure wlan marked as 'private' should cause no issue
> vista - am I doing soemthing incorrectly?

During testing I had a problem with the Remote desktop in that with some
people I could access their desktop, but, they could not access mine, trying
with using the messenger and email invitations. Others, they could access
their desktop, but, they could not access mine, messenger or email
invitations. In a couple of instances, I could get access, but, not mouse
control, and vise versa. Once or twice I was able to get access to their
other persons desktop once, but, when I tried again, it would not allow me
to access.

One of the factors was a wireless router. The team for that feature thought
it was my wireless NetGear router at one point. So, there are some
variables that can come into play. Here is a different view, I have XP Pro
SP2 on 2 of my desktops and my laptop. I can get remote desktop easily on
my laptop, but, not on the desktops. The desktops are connected to the
wireless router, the laptop is wireless. I have not installed the Vista on
the laptop yet to test it, as it is my business machine.

So....as you can see, the world of remote access can be very tricky and
fickle, and this is just from my personal experience. I am not sure what
advise to give you, it would likely be a matter of sitting down and testing
and researching how it does and does not work with various other people with
their machines and conditions. If a router is involved, that could be
another factor to deal with, but, perhaps some food for thought while you
are doing your troubleshooting. It is really somewhat hard to diagnose at
times, as there are various conditions and factors to be considered.

Hope this helps.

Jan
MS MVP - Windows IE