Problem opening shares through VPN

Rolf Barbakken

Problem opening shares through VPN
I have a Windows Server 2003 with RRAS set up to receive VPN connections.
The connections opens fine. I can open shares from XP-computers and
up/download files. Its slow, but thats another issue.

On Vista, though, I cannot open shares. I can ping the server, but "net view
\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" only returns error 53. WINS is installed on the server,
and the VPN-connection have WINS added on tcp/ip property page.

I have turned off the Vista firewall, in case this was the problem, but it
didn't help.

What can be the issue here?

--
Rolf

Mike Howells

Re: Problem opening shares through VPN
I have this EXACT same problem with Vista. I cannot figure out what is
causing the problem either. The problem occurs with the firewall turned on
or off.

This also occurs when I try to map a network drive from Vista to a Windows
2003 Server share using an IP address so name resolution does not appear to
be the problem.

Mike

"Rolf Barbakken" <notnoisy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a Windows Server 2003 with RRAS set up to receive VPN connections.
>The connections opens fine. I can open shares from XP-computers and
>up/download files. Its slow, but thats another issue.
>
> On Vista, though, I cannot open shares. I can ping the server, but "net
> view \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" only returns error 53. WINS is installed on the
> server, and the VPN-connection have WINS added on tcp/ip property page.
>
> I have turned off the Vista firewall, in case this was the problem, but it
> didn't help.
>
> What can be the issue here?
>
> --
> Rolf

Rolf Barbakken

Re: Problem opening shares through VPN
I have tried opening shares with just \\[ip-address]\sharename as well. No
luck. I just get an error saying the resource cannot be found and a nice
little button to "Diagnose". Diagnose doesn't find any problems, of course.

"Mike Howells" <mhowells@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have this EXACT same problem with Vista. I cannot figure out what is
>causing the problem either. The problem occurs with the firewall turned on
>or off.
>
> This also occurs when I try to map a network drive from Vista to a Windows
> 2003 Server share using an IP address so name resolution does not appear
> to be the problem.
>
> Mike
>
> "Rolf Barbakken" <notnoisy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have a Windows Server 2003 with RRAS set up to receive VPN connections.
>>The connections opens fine. I can open shares from XP-computers and
>>up/download files. Its slow, but thats another issue.
>>
>> On Vista, though, I cannot open shares. I can ping the server, but "net
>> view \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" only returns error 53. WINS is installed on the
>> server, and the VPN-connection have WINS added on tcp/ip property page.
>>
>> I have turned off the Vista firewall, in case this was the problem, but
>> it didn't help.
>>
>> What can be the issue here?
>>
>> --
>> Rolf

Mike Howells

Re: Problem opening shares through VPN
I'm really looking forward to the solution to this problem because this is
actually preventing work from getting done.

>I have tried opening shares with just \\[ip-address]\sharename as well. No
>luck. I just get an error saying the resource cannot be found and a nice
>little button to "Diagnose". Diagnose doesn't find any problems, of course.
>
> "Mike Howells" <mhowells@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have this EXACT same problem with Vista. I cannot figure out what is
>>causing the problem either. The problem occurs with the firewall turned on
>>or off.
>>
>> This also occurs when I try to map a network drive from Vista to a
>> Windows 2003 Server share using an IP address so name resolution does not
>> appear to be the problem.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> "Rolf Barbakken" <notnoisy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a Windows Server 2003 with RRAS set up to receive VPN connections.
>>>The connections opens fine. I can open shares from XP-computers and
>>>up/download files. Its slow, but thats another issue.
>>>
>>> On Vista, though, I cannot open shares. I can ping the server, but "net
>>> view \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" only returns error 53. WINS is installed on the
>>> server, and the VPN-connection have WINS added on tcp/ip property page.
>>>
>>> I have turned off the Vista firewall, in case this was the problem, but
>>> it didn't help.
>>>
>>> What can be the issue here?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Rolf

=?Utf-8?B?RGFubnk=?=

RE: Problem opening shares through VPN
Hello,

Yep, I too have exactly the same problem.

I'm using Vista Enterprise and ISA Server 2006 to connect to my work
network. I have the ISA Client for Vista installed, but cannot connect to
any Network shares.

What I want to do is to be able to sync once connected so that I can work
online and update files that I change from home, like I use to do with
Windows XP! I'm the IT Director, and at present cannot connect when away
from my desk, so this is causing me considerable problems.

My observations to date:

I have noticed that when I first connect I can resolve host names, so from a
command prompt I type "ping hostname", for about 30-60 seconds I can continue
to try and ping resources with success. After 60 seconds name resolution
become unavailable and I have to type the IP address in to ping the host.
NetBIOS is disabled throughout our organisation, by design, via DHCP. I
have noticed that at the time when name resolution disappears, my home
connections starts "identifying" and then goes into "public" mode for a while
before returning to the "private" home mode. Once everything has settled
down the VPN connection seems to identify that it is connected to my managed
corporate network. One would think at this stage that Vista was smart enough
to know that it was connected to my work network and go online, allowing me
to access the resources that should be available. This is not the case.

Strangely, I cannot connect my home PC, running Vista Ultimate, to work via
VPN at all, it hangs at the authenticating username and password stage.
However, I can connect that same PC to another VPN host running ISA Server
2000. I find this very confusing, as some TechNet articles I have read
suggest this should be the other way round.

This is just one of the problems my department has discovered with Windows
Vista.
We are also trying to identify the supposed benefits of the new Windows
Deployment Services. This seems to be more work than RIS ever was, as you
have to visit the client, then go back to the WDS MMC and approved and name
the PC, then return to the client to press F12, by which time it’s probably
timed out. At least with RIS I could name the PC whilst at the physical
machine and then leave it to do an unattended installation.
Also, don't get me started on the deployment of a customised installation of
Office 2007 via Group Policy, because you can't! TechNet says so...

However, I'm "Confident" that everything will become "Clear" once I get
"Connected".

"Rolf Barbakken" wrote:

> I have a Windows Server 2003 with RRAS set up to receive VPN connections.
> The connections opens fine. I can open shares from XP-computers and
> up/download files. Its slow, but thats another issue.
>
> On Vista, though, I cannot open shares. I can ping the server, but "net view
> \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" only returns error 53. WINS is installed on the server,
> and the VPN-connection have WINS added on tcp/ip property page.
>
> I have turned off the Vista firewall, in case this was the problem, but it
> didn't help.
>
> What can be the issue here?
>
> --
> Rolf

Thomas H.

Mike Howells wrote:
> I have this EXACT same problem with Vista. I cannot figure out what is
> causing the problem either. The problem occurs with the firewall turned
> on or off.
>
> This also occurs when I try to map a network drive from Vista to a
> Windows 2003 Server share using an IP address so name resolution does
> not appear to be the problem.

same here. very annoying, spent 2 days trying to access shares through
vpn from home to office. this is a huge showstopper for our vista
deployment

there is KB930163 [http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930163] that adresses
a part of the problem with vpn - unfortunately i'm still not able to map
shares from our office windows 2003 network.

- thomas
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Problem opening shares through VPN
It could be the routing issue. Can you ping the remote server by IP?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

Robert L [MVP - Networking] wrote:
> It could be the routing issue. Can you ping the remote server by IP?

of course. and tracert shows the right routes, and so does route PRINT.

everything else works: remote desktop, pinging, tracing, webs, ftp etc.

- thomas
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Problem opening shares through VPN
Try this: net use \\serverip? If it asks the username and password, type the server administrator and password. If not, post back with the system error.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Thomas H." <me@alternize.com> wrote in message news:%23jDNjYxSHHA.600@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
Robert L [MVP - Networking] wrote:
> It could be the routing issue. Can you ping the remote server by IP?

of course. and tracert shows the right routes, and so does route PRINT.

everything else works: remote desktop, pinging, tracing, webs, ftp etc.

- thomas
Thomas H.

Re: Problem opening shares through VPN
Robert L [MVP - Networking] wrote:
> Try this: net use \\serverip <file://\\serverip>? If it asks the
> username and password, type the server administrator and password. If
> not, post back with the system error.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>
> "Thomas H." <me@alternize.com <mailto:me@alternize.com>> wrote in
> message news:%23jDNjYxSHHA.600@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Robert L [MVP - Networking] wrote:
> > It could be the routing issue. Can you ping the remote server by IP?

> of course. and tracert shows the right routes, and so does route PRINT.
>
> everything else works: remote desktop, pinging, tracing, webs, ftp etc.
>
> - thomas

as mentioned in the other posts by me and several others, shares over
vpn do not work properly in vista, no matter whether FQDN or IP. using
FQDN produces "the network path was not found." (error 53), and so does
using IP.

really, this is not a "i'm too stupid to use shares"-problem. thanks for
trying to help, tho.

- thomas