RE: VPN + Map network drive

=?Utf-8?B?cGFzZmx1Zw==?=

RE: VPN + Map network drive
Hello,

we are having the same problem with Vista Ultimate (final). I am trying to
map to a shared folder on the VPN server. Ping (ICMP) works as well as HTTP.
I've deactivated alle Firewalls on the client machine, still nothing. I've
tried to analyse communication between the machines with Ethereal, but it
doesn't detect the VPN connection on Vista.

Does anyone have a clue? Thanks for posting

Pascal Hassenpflug

"hdejongh" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I`m running vista rtm. I`m have a connection to my company through vpn,
> (win2k3)
>
> I`m unable to make any kind of network shares..
>
> I`m able to make all network shares on computers on my home network.
>
> I changed in secpol.msc:
>
> network security, lan manager authentication level to: send lm & ntlm
> if possibleblablbla
>
> well that`s kinda it...
>
> oh net view doesn`t work either
>
> C:\Users\xxxxx> net use * "'\\192.168.2.1\test'
> (file://\\192.168.2.1\test)"
> System error 51 has occurred.
> Windows cannot find the network path. Verify that the network path is
> correct an
> d the destination computer is not busy or turned off. If Windows still
> cannot fi
> nd the network path, contact your network administrator.
>
> C:\Users\xxxxxx>ping itcdc01
> Pinging itcdc01 [192.168.2.1] with 32 bytes of data:
> Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=128
> Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=128
>
> C:\Users\xxxxxxx>net use * "'\\itcdc01\gedeelde'
> (file://\\itcdc01\gedeelde) data"
> System error 51 has occurred.
> Windows cannot find the network path. Verify that the network path is
> correct an
> d the destination computer is not busy or turned off. If Windows still
> cannot fi
> nd the network path, contact your network administrator.
>

> --
> hdejongh
> hdejongh's Profile: http://vista64.net/forums/member.php?userid=835
> View this thread: http://vista64.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27320

Mike Howells

Re: VPN + Map network drive
It appears that numerous peopl are also having this problem with Vista. It
is a big mystery at this point.

I am very curious what the solution is to this problem because for me this
is actually preventing work from getting done.

Mike

"pasflug" <pasflug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> we are having the same problem with Vista Ultimate (final). I am trying to
> map to a shared folder on the VPN server. Ping (ICMP) works as well as
> HTTP.
> I've deactivated alle Firewalls on the client machine, still nothing. I've
> tried to analyse communication between the machines with Ethereal, but it
> doesn't detect the VPN connection on Vista.
>
> Does anyone have a clue? Thanks for posting
>
> Pascal Hassenpflug
>

> "hdejongh" wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I`m running vista rtm. I`m have a connection to my company through vpn,
>> (win2k3)
>>
>> I`m unable to make any kind of network shares..
>>
>> I`m able to make all network shares on computers on my home network.
>>
>> I changed in secpol.msc:
>>
>> network security, lan manager authentication level to: send lm & ntlm
>> if possibleblablbla
>>
>> well that`s kinda it...
>>
>> oh net view doesn`t work either
>>
>> C:\Users\xxxxx> net use * "'\\192.168.2.1\test'
>> (file://\\192.168.2.1\test)"
>> System error 51 has occurred.
>> Windows cannot find the network path. Verify that the network path is
>> correct an
>> d the destination computer is not busy or turned off. If Windows still
>> cannot fi
>> nd the network path, contact your network administrator.
>>
>> C:\Users\xxxxxx>ping itcdc01
>> Pinging itcdc01 [192.168.2.1] with 32 bytes of data:
>> Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=128
>> Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=128
>>
>> C:\Users\xxxxxxx>net use * "'\\itcdc01\gedeelde'
>> (file://\\itcdc01\gedeelde) data"
>> System error 51 has occurred.
>> Windows cannot find the network path. Verify that the network path is
>> correct an
>> d the destination computer is not busy or turned off. If Windows still
>> cannot fi
>> nd the network path, contact your network administrator.
>>

>> --
>> hdejongh
>> hdejongh's Profile: http://vista64.net/forums/member.php?userid=835
>> View this thread: http://vista64.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27320

=?Utf-8?B?UmljaGFyZF9H?=

Re: VPN + Map network drive
Are any MVPs about to give their advice with regards to this problem?

"Mike Howells" wrote:

> It appears that numerous peopl are also having this problem with Vista. It
> is a big mystery at this point.
>
> I am very curious what the solution is to this problem because for me this
> is actually preventing work from getting done.
>
> Mike
>
> "pasflug" <pasflug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > we are having the same problem with Vista Ultimate (final). I am trying to
> > map to a shared folder on the VPN server. Ping (ICMP) works as well as
> > HTTP.
> > I've deactivated alle Firewalls on the client machine, still nothing. I've
> > tried to analyse communication between the machines with Ethereal, but it
> > doesn't detect the VPN connection on Vista.
> >
> > Does anyone have a clue? Thanks for posting
> >
> > Pascal Hassenpflug
> >

> > "hdejongh" wrote:
> >

> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I`m running vista rtm. I`m have a connection to my company through vpn,
> >> (win2k3)
> >>
> >> I`m unable to make any kind of network shares..
> >>
> >> I`m able to make all network shares on computers on my home network.
> >>
> >> I changed in secpol.msc:
> >>
> >> network security, lan manager authentication level to: send lm & ntlm
> >> if possibleblablbla
> >>
> >> well that`s kinda it...
> >>
> >> oh net view doesn`t work either
> >>
> >> C:\Users\xxxxx> net use * "'\\192.168.2.1\test'
> >> (file://\\192.168.2.1\test)"
> >> System error 51 has occurred.
> >> Windows cannot find the network path. Verify that the network path is
> >> correct an
> >> d the destination computer is not busy or turned off. If Windows still
> >> cannot fi
> >> nd the network path, contact your network administrator.
> >>
> >> C:\Users\xxxxxx>ping itcdc01
> >> Pinging itcdc01 [192.168.2.1] with 32 bytes of data:
> >> Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=128
> >> Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=128
> >>
> >> C:\Users\xxxxxxx>net use * "'\\itcdc01\gedeelde'
> >> (file://\\itcdc01\gedeelde) data"
> >> System error 51 has occurred.
> >> Windows cannot find the network path. Verify that the network path is
> >> correct an
> >> d the destination computer is not busy or turned off. If Windows still
> >> cannot fi
> >> nd the network path, contact your network administrator.
> >>

> >> --
> >> hdejongh
> >> hdejongh's Profile: http://vista64.net/forums/member.php?userid=835
> >> View this thread: http://vista64.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27320

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: VPN + Map network drive
Normally, System error 51 is sharing issue. Assuming other version windows VPN client doesn't have this issue, I would try to disable IPv6. Please post back with the result.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

"Mike Howells" wrote:

> It appears that numerous peopl are also having this problem with Vista. It
> is a big mystery at this point.
>
> I am very curious what the solution is to this problem because for me this
> is actually preventing work from getting done.
>
> Mike
>
> "pasflug" <pasflug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > we are having the same problem with Vista Ultimate (final). I am trying to
> > map to a shared folder on the VPN server. Ping (ICMP) works as well as
> > HTTP.
> > I've deactivated alle Firewalls on the client machine, still nothing. I've
> > tried to analyse communication between the machines with Ethereal, but it
> > doesn't detect the VPN connection on Vista.
> >
> > Does anyone have a clue? Thanks for posting
> >
> > Pascal Hassenpflug
> >

> > "hdejongh" wrote:
> >

> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I`m running vista rtm. I`m have a connection to my company through vpn,
> >> (win2k3)
> >>
> >> I`m unable to make any kind of network shares..
> >>
> >> I`m able to make all network shares on computers on my home network.
> >>
> >> I changed in secpol.msc:
> >>
> >> network security, lan manager authentication level to: send lm & ntlm
> >> if possibleblablbla
> >>
> >> well that`s kinda it...
> >>
> >> oh net view doesn`t work either
> >>
> >> C:\Users\xxxxx> net use * "'\\192.168.2.1\test'
> >> (file://\\192.168.2.1\test)"
> >> System error 51 has occurred.
> >> Windows cannot find the network path. Verify that the network path is
> >> correct an
> >> d the destination computer is not busy or turned off. If Windows still
> >> cannot fi
> >> nd the network path, contact your network administrator.
> >>
> >> C:\Users\xxxxxx>ping itcdc01
> >> Pinging itcdc01 [192.168.2.1] with 32 bytes of data:
> >> Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=128
> >> Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=128
> >>
> >> C:\Users\xxxxxxx>net use * "'\\itcdc01\gedeelde'
> >> (file://\\itcdc01\gedeelde) data"
> >> System error 51 has occurred.
> >> Windows cannot find the network path. Verify that the network path is
> >> correct an
> >> d the destination computer is not busy or turned off. If Windows still
> >> cannot fi
> >> nd the network path, contact your network administrator.
> >>

> >> --
> >> hdejongh
> >> hdejongh's Profile: http://vista64.net/forums/member.php?userid=835
> >> View this thread: http://vista64.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27320

hdejongh

Re: VPN + Map network drive

yeah tried that aswell, but the strange thing is to some win2k3 server i
can get shares over vpn. But to our own win2k3 sbs i still can`t

I even opened a case with microsoft. They are trying to solve it. They
were able to reproduce the error but also had to some machines no
problem..

so any advice is welcom!

'Robert L [MVP - Networking Wrote:
> ;220779']Normally, System error 51 is sharing issue. Assuming other
> version windows VPN client doesn't have this issue, I would try to
> disable IPv6. Please post back with the result.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on 'Networking, VPN,
> TS, Remote Access and Internet Troubleshooting'
> (http://www.ChicagoTech.net)
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Richard_G" <RichardG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Are any MVPs about to give their advice with regards to this problem?

--
hdejongh
Aanand Ramachandran

Re: VPN + Map network drive
Folks,
VPN relies on port 139 (or NetBIOS over TCP/IP) for net use (and other SMB traffic) to work. If you do not have NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled on both source and destn. machines or if port 139 is blocked by your company then net use will fail.

thanks
Aanand

"Mike Howells" wrote:

> It appears that numerous peopl are also having this problem with Vista. It
> is a big mystery at this point.
>
> I am very curious what the solution is to this problem because for me this
> is actually preventing work from getting done.
>
> Mike
>
> "pasflug" <pasflug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > we are having the same problem with Vista Ultimate (final). I am trying to
> > map to a shared folder on the VPN server. Ping (ICMP) works as well as
> > HTTP.
> > I've deactivated alle Firewalls on the client machine, still nothing. I've
> > tried to analyse communication between the machines with Ethereal, but it
> > doesn't detect the VPN connection on Vista.
> >
> > Does anyone have a clue? Thanks for posting
> >
> > Pascal Hassenpflug
> >

> > "hdejongh" wrote:
> >

> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I`m running vista rtm. I`m have a connection to my company through vpn,
> >> (win2k3)
> >>
> >> I`m unable to make any kind of network shares..
> >>
> >> I`m able to make all network shares on computers on my home network.
> >>
> >> I changed in secpol.msc:
> >>
> >> network security, lan manager authentication level to: send lm & ntlm
> >> if possibleblablbla
> >>
> >> well that`s kinda it...
> >>
> >> oh net view doesn`t work either
> >>
> >> C:\Users\xxxxx> net use * "'\\192.168.2.1\test'
> >> (file://\\192.168.2.1\test)"
> >> System error 51 has occurred.
> >> Windows cannot find the network path. Verify that the network path is
> >> correct an
> >> d the destination computer is not busy or turned off. If Windows still
> >> cannot fi
> >> nd the network path, contact your network administrator.
> >>
> >> C:\Users\xxxxxx>ping itcdc01
> >> Pinging itcdc01 [192.168.2.1] with 32 bytes of data:
> >> Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=128
> >> Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=128
> >>
> >> C:\Users\xxxxxxx>net use * "'\\itcdc01\gedeelde'
> >> (file://\\itcdc01\gedeelde) data"
> >> System error 51 has occurred.
> >> Windows cannot find the network path. Verify that the network path is
> >> correct an
> >> d the destination computer is not busy or turned off. If Windows still
> >> cannot fi
> >> nd the network path, contact your network administrator.
> >>

> >> --
> >> hdejongh
> >> hdejongh's Profile: http://vista64.net/forums/member.php?userid=835
> >> View this thread: http://vista64.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27320

=?Utf-8?B?UmljaGFyZF9H?=

Re: VPN + Map network drive
Thanks Aanand. I have not blocked this port, and the same setup works fine in
XP with no changes to the server.

"Aanand Ramachandran" wrote:

> Folks,
> VPN relies on port 139 (or NetBIOS over TCP/IP) for net use (and other SMB traffic) to work. If you do not have NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled on both source and destn. machines or if port 139 is blocked by your company then net use will fail.
>
> thanks
> Aanand
> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" <noreply@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eAjZ12OYHHA.1240@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Normally, System error 51 is sharing issue. Assuming other version windows VPN client doesn't have this issue, I would try to disable IPv6. Please post back with the result.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Richard_G" <RichardG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:80927010-C72C-44E3-AC34-48460F6E0016@microsoft.com...
> Are any MVPs about to give their advice with regards to this problem?
>
> "Mike Howells" wrote:
>
> > It appears that numerous peopl are also having this problem with Vista. It
> > is a big mystery at this point.
> >
> > I am very curious what the solution is to this problem because for me this
> > is actually preventing work from getting done.
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > "pasflug" <pasflug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > we are having the same problem with Vista Ultimate (final). I am trying to
> > > map to a shared folder on the VPN server. Ping (ICMP) works as well as
> > > HTTP.
> > > I've deactivated alle Firewalls on the client machine, still nothing. I've
> > > tried to analyse communication between the machines with Ethereal, but it
> > > doesn't detect the VPN connection on Vista.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have a clue? Thanks for posting
> > >
> > > Pascal Hassenpflug

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: VPN + Map network drive
If you receive system error 53 when using net view \\IP, this is not port 139 or NetBIOS name issue (check the below link).

Richard, can you telnet port 445 from the Vista client to the server or any resources in the remote site?

Vista VPN: System Error 53
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewforum.php?f=2

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE