Can't Copy from Server 2003 Share

BVH

Can't Copy from Server 2003 Share
Ok. I'm at a loss. I've got a Vista RTM system connecting via a domain as a
standard user and as the domain administrator to a share with everyone full
control on both the share and the folder...

I can see the files and folders under the network share. I can delete files
and folder, make file and folders.. I can not however copy or move a file
from the 2003 Server share to the Vista machine.

The only way I've gotten this to work is if I make/copy a file FROM Vista TO
the 2003 Server Share... Once the all holy Vista creates the file or folder
on the Server 2003 share then I can copy / move them like always.

I've hunted the net and have tried a TON of stuff with not answers... Anyone
in have any suggestions??

Thanks!

Benjamin VH
Net Works

BVH

Re: Can't Copy from Server 2003 Share
Is no one else having a probleming copy files from a 2003 or XP share? This
would at least let me know that I'm missing something others aren't
configuration wise..

Thanks.

BVH

"BVH" <bvnahoesen@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok. I'm at a loss. I've got a Vista RTM system connecting via a domain as
> a standard user and as the domain administrator to a share with everyone
> full control on both the share and the folder...
>
> I can see the files and folders under the network share. I can delete
> files and folder, make file and folders.. I can not however copy or move a
> file from the 2003 Server share to the Vista machine.
>
> The only way I've gotten this to work is if I make/copy a file FROM Vista
> TO the 2003 Server Share... Once the all holy Vista creates the file or
> folder on the Server 2003 share then I can copy / move them like always.
>
> I've hunted the net and have tried a TON of stuff with not answers...
> Anyone in have any suggestions??
>
> Thanks!
>
> Benjamin VH
> Net Works

koze

Re: Can't Copy from Server 2003 Share
Take a look at the security settings from the share. Most likely you will
see a entry for everyone with deny.

Deny everyone rules out all the other settings. So if you remove the
everyone from the security settings and add the user accounts from the other
machines and the current one they should start working for you.

If from a server you have to set the options using the PGO to allow this.

Ko

"BVH" <bvnahoesen@gmail.com> schreef in bericht
> Is no one else having a probleming copy files from a 2003 or XP share?
> This would at least let me know that I'm missing something others aren't
> configuration wise..
>
> Thanks.
>
> BVH
>

> "BVH" <bvnahoesen@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Ok. I'm at a loss. I've got a Vista RTM system connecting via a domain as
>> a standard user and as the domain administrator to a share with everyone
>> full control on both the share and the folder...
>>
>> I can see the files and folders under the network share. I can delete
>> files and folder, make file and folders.. I can not however copy or move
>> a file from the 2003 Server share to the Vista machine.
>>
>> The only way I've gotten this to work is if I make/copy a file FROM Vista
>> TO the 2003 Server Share... Once the all holy Vista creates the file or
>> folder on the Server 2003 share then I can copy / move them like always.
>>
>> I've hunted the net and have tried a TON of stuff with not answers...
>> Anyone in have any suggestions??
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Benjamin VH
>> Net Works

Bruce Sanderson

Re: Can't Copy from Server 2003 Share
I copy/move files and folders between Windows Server 2003 and Vista, in a
Domain, while logged on to Vista with a Domain user account that is NOT an
administrator on the Vista computer (or the server either) routinely, so
there is not a generic problem doing this. There may be specific problems
with the particular folders you are working on.

What folder on the Vista computer are attempting to copy or move the file to
and what folder on the Windows Server 2003 computer are you attempting to
copy from?

For example, if you are attempting to copy or move to "My Documents" in your
user's profile (on the Vista computer), this won't work. However, if you
copy or move to "Documents" in your user's profile, that should work. This
is because the "My Documents" is actually a "directory junction" and the
default permissions on all of the directory junctions created when Vista is
installed are set to "Everyone" "List folder / read data" "Deny" "This
folder only". The result of this is that you can not do anything with a
"folder" that is really a "directory junction" using Explorer. This does
not prevent you from manipulating sub-folders, if you specifically target a
sub-folder (e.g. by keying the complete folder path in the Address bar). A
better alternative is to use the folder that is the target of the "directory
junction".

For example:

Documents instead of My Documents
AppData\Roaming instead of Application Data

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders

"BVH" <bvnahoesen@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok. I'm at a loss. I've got a Vista RTM system connecting via a domain as
> a standard user and as the domain administrator to a share with everyone
> full control on both the share and the folder...
>
> I can see the files and folders under the network share. I can delete
> files and folder, make file and folders.. I can not however copy or move a
> file from the 2003 Server share to the Vista machine.
>
> The only way I've gotten this to work is if I make/copy a file FROM Vista
> TO the 2003 Server Share... Once the all holy Vista creates the file or
> folder on the Server 2003 share then I can copy / move them like always.
>
> I've hunted the net and have tried a TON of stuff with not answers...
> Anyone in have any suggestions??
>
> Thanks!
>
> Benjamin VH
> Net Works

BVH

Re: Can't Copy from Server 2003 Share
I've found that it works fine on my office domain but not my home. I checked
the premissions on both and they are the same with the acception of the user
groups being named differently.