Vista Domain Logon

=?Utf-8?B?SG9sZG91dDIwMDA=?=

Vista Domain Logon
Why does it take so long to logon with domain account into Vista? This is
Vista Enterprise retail, not beta's. On Vista it is taking 5 minutes plus to
logon. Our XP Workstations take about 15 seconds to logon using the same
accounts. We do not use roaming profiles. We do redirect My Documents to
the users home share. We also do some drive mapping with logon scripts. I
have tried already tried this Uncheck the IPv6 for your adapter and set WINS
to Enable Netbios over TCP/IP. I also changed the value of "Network
Security: LAN Manager authentication level" from "NTVLM2 responses only" to
"LM and NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated". These changes
have not had any effect.

Any Ideas?

BVH

Re: Vista Domain Logon
Are you using a wireless connection? If so it's most likely not connecting
to the wireless before you login and it's taking a long time to timeout
looking for AD Server to login to.

Turn off windows firewall and defender as well. They are all but useless and
cause far more issues then they solve.

GL.

BVH

"Holdout2000" <Holdout2000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Why does it take so long to logon with domain account into Vista? This is
> Vista Enterprise retail, not beta's. On Vista it is taking 5 minutes plus
> logon. Our XP Workstations take about 15 seconds to logon using the same
> accounts. We do not use roaming profiles. We do redirect My Documents to
> the users home share. We also do some drive mapping with logon scripts.
> have tried already tried this Uncheck the IPv6 for your adapter and set
> WINS
> to Enable Netbios over TCP/IP. I also changed the value of "Network
> Security: LAN Manager authentication level" from "NTVLM2 responses only"
> "LM and NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated". These changes
> have not had any effect.
>
> Any Ideas?

Kerry Brown

Re: Vista Domain Logon
Turning off the firewall temporarily for troubleshooting is a valid option.
Turning it off permanently without installing another firewall is not an
option. The firewall in Vista is actually very sophisticated with fine
grained control over both inbound and outbound traffic.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User

"BVH" <bvnahoesen@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Are you using a wireless connection? If so it's most likely not connecting
> to the wireless before you login and it's taking a long time to timeout
> looking for AD Server to login to.
>
> Turn off windows firewall and defender as well. They are all but useless
> and cause far more issues then they solve.
>
> GL.
>
> BVH
>
> "Holdout2000" <Holdout2000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Why does it take so long to logon with domain account into Vista? This
>> is
>> Vista Enterprise retail, not beta's. On Vista it is taking 5 minutes
>> plus to
>> logon. Our XP Workstations take about 15 seconds to logon using the same
>> accounts. We do not use roaming profiles. We do redirect My Documents
>> the users home share. We also do some drive mapping with logon scripts.
>> have tried already tried this Uncheck the IPv6 for your adapter and set
>> WINS
>> to Enable Netbios over TCP/IP. I also changed the value of "Network
>> Security: LAN Manager authentication level" from "NTVLM2 responses only"
>> "LM and NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated". These
>> changes
>> have not had any effect.
>>
>> Any Ideas?

Kerry Brown

Re: Vista Domain Logon
This is usually a DNS problem. Are the workstations pointing to a domain DNS
server running on a domain controller and no other DNS servers?

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2

"Holdout2000" <Holdout2000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Why does it take so long to logon with domain account into Vista? This is
> Vista Enterprise retail, not beta's. On Vista it is taking 5 minutes plus
> logon. Our XP Workstations take about 15 seconds to logon using the same
> accounts. We do not use roaming profiles. We do redirect My Documents to
> the users home share. We also do some drive mapping with logon scripts.
> have tried already tried this Uncheck the IPv6 for your adapter and set
> WINS
> to Enable Netbios over TCP/IP. I also changed the value of "Network
> Security: LAN Manager authentication level" from "NTVLM2 responses only"
> "LM and NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated". These changes
> have not had any effect.
>
> Any Ideas?

=?Utf-8?B?SG9sZG91dDIwMDA=?=

Re: Vista Domain Logon
Kerry,

It is not wireless. I am trying turning off the firewall. The client is
pointing only to the Domain Controller DNS no other.

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> This is usually a DNS problem. Are the workstations pointing to a domain DNS
> server running on a domain controller and no other DNS servers?
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2
>
> "Holdout2000" <Holdout2000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Why does it take so long to logon with domain account into Vista? This is
> > Vista Enterprise retail, not beta's. On Vista it is taking 5 minutes plus
> > logon. Our XP Workstations take about 15 seconds to logon using the same
> > accounts. We do not use roaming profiles. We do redirect My Documents to
> > the users home share. We also do some drive mapping with logon scripts.
> > have tried already tried this Uncheck the IPv6 for your adapter and set
> > WINS
> > to Enable Netbios over TCP/IP. I also changed the value of "Network
> > Security: LAN Manager authentication level" from "NTVLM2 responses only"
> > "LM and NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated". These changes
> > have not had any effect.
> >
> > Any Ideas?

=?Utf-8?B?SG9sZG91dDIwMDA=?=

Re: Vista Domain Logon
After some more investigation. The slow logon into the domain is only the
very first time a user logs on. It is creating the profile. This to me also
seems excessively too long. The initial logon by a user this morning was
about 2 minutes, down from 5 plus in my initial post. Some changes must have
helped. However, I'm not sure which one(s).

"Holdout2000" wrote:

> Kerry,
>
> It is not wireless. I am trying turning off the firewall. The client is
> pointing only to the Domain Controller DNS no other.
>
> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
> > This is usually a DNS problem. Are the workstations pointing to a domain DNS
> > server running on a domain controller and no other DNS servers?
> >
> > --
> > Kerry Brown
> > Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> > www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2
> >
> > "Holdout2000" <Holdout2000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Why does it take so long to logon with domain account into Vista? This is
> > > Vista Enterprise retail, not beta's. On Vista it is taking 5 minutes plus
> > > logon. Our XP Workstations take about 15 seconds to logon using the same
> > > accounts. We do not use roaming profiles. We do redirect My Documents to
> > > the users home share. We also do some drive mapping with logon scripts.
> > > have tried already tried this Uncheck the IPv6 for your adapter and set
> > > WINS
> > > to Enable Netbios over TCP/IP. I also changed the value of "Network
> > > Security: LAN Manager authentication level" from "NTVLM2 responses only"
> > > "LM and NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated". These changes
> > > have not had any effect.
> > >
> > > Any Ideas?

Kerry Brown

Re: Vista Domain Logon
It does seem a little long. My Home Office network (the only one I've tested
Vista on) is the same speed logging in to the domain or not and that's
through a wireless connection. Any errors in the event logs? It could be the
redirected My Documents. That does seem a little slower In Vista than XP but
not minutes slower.

--

> After some more investigation. The slow logon into the domain is only the
> very first time a user logs on. It is creating the profile. This to me
> also
> seems excessively too long. The initial logon by a user this morning was
> about 2 minutes, down from 5 plus in my initial post. Some changes must
> have
> helped. However, I'm not sure which one(s).
>
> "Holdout2000" wrote:
>
>> Kerry,
>>
>> It is not wireless. I am trying turning off the firewall. The client is
>> pointing only to the Domain Controller DNS no other.
>>
>> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>>
>> > This is usually a DNS problem. Are the workstations pointing to a
>> > domain DNS
>> > server running on a domain controller and no other DNS servers?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Kerry Brown
>> > Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
>> > www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2

Bruce Sanderson

Re: Vista Domain Logon
The experience I've had logging on with a Domain user account, both on my
small Domain at home and the very large Domain at work is that the logon is
quick - more or less the same as with XP, if not faster. Creating the user
profile (at the first logon) certainly takes some time - I haven't timed it
on XP and Vista on identical hardware, so I don't know what the difference
would be, if any.

Perhaps, as suggested by Kerry Brown, the slow down is associated with the
redirection of My Documents. In Vista, unlike XP, My Documents is actually
a "directory junction", not actually a folder - the actual folder that is
the target of the My Documents "directory junction" is "Documents". Have
you tried creating a user account to which the GPO that does the redirection
of My Documents does not apply to see if this makes a difference?

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders