Vista can't copy files from network share on XPPro

MDaniel

Vista can't copy files from network share on XPPro
I have an XP Pro machine with a folder shared with full control for
everyone. All other machines, regardless of Windows version, have no
problem accessing this share with full control. I've installed Vista
Ultimate RTM on two machines and have had the following problem on both:

Both Vista machines can read/write/execute files that are in that
network share. For example, if its a .pdf, .txt, or .doc, I can double
click it from the Vista machines and it opens just fine with the
appropriate application. If its an .exe, like the installer for Firefox,
it'll launch and install the program. I can also save and delete files
and folders on that network share from the Vista machine. So far so
good.

The problem is with simply trying to copy a file from that share TO the
Vista machine. I get an error message titled "Destination Folder Access
Denied" that reads "You need permission to perform this action". It
doesn't matter where I copy the file to. Desktop, Public, Documents,
etc. Same thing. So I can open/execute it, but I can't copy it.

This happens on both Vista machines. I have enabled the Public folder on
both Vistas and they can copy files to/from each other. And the XP
machine can copy to/from the Vistas' Public folders.

I am an using the same administrator account on all machines. The
problem is the same whether I use Vista's explorer or command prompt.

I haven't found much on Google but I did try disabling UAC, firewalls on
all machines, and even IE7's Protected Mode without any success.

Michael Price

Re: Vista can't copy files from network share on XPPro
I have seen the same thing only when copying from the Vista machine.

I would be interested in what the final outcome is.

"MDaniel" <mdaniel@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
news:MPG.1fe7eb5323afc829989689@msnews.microsoft.c om...
>I have an XP Pro machine with a folder shared with full control for
> everyone. All other machines, regardless of Windows version, have no
> problem accessing this share with full control. I've installed Vista
> Ultimate RTM on two machines and have had the following problem on both:
>
> Both Vista machines can read/write/execute files that are in that
> network share. For example, if its a .pdf, .txt, or .doc, I can double
> click it from the Vista machines and it opens just fine with the
> appropriate application. If its an .exe, like the installer for Firefox,
> it'll launch and install the program. I can also save and delete files
> and folders on that network share from the Vista machine. So far so
> good.
>
> The problem is with simply trying to copy a file from that share TO the
> Vista machine. I get an error message titled "Destination Folder Access
> Denied" that reads "You need permission to perform this action". It
> doesn't matter where I copy the file to. Desktop, Public, Documents,
> etc. Same thing. So I can open/execute it, but I can't copy it.
>
> This happens on both Vista machines. I have enabled the Public folder on
> both Vistas and they can copy files to/from each other. And the XP
> machine can copy to/from the Vistas' Public folders.
>
> I am an using the same administrator account on all machines. The
> problem is the same whether I use Vista's explorer or command prompt.
>
> I haven't found much on Google but I did try disabling UAC, firewalls on
> all machines, and even IE7's Protected Mode without any success.

=?Utf-8?B?U3VyeWE2NA==?=

Re: Vista can't copy files from network share on XPPro
in the networking and sharing center there is a setting called "Password
protected Sharing". If you set this to false, then it will start working.
By default it is set to On so only people with user id and password on the
destination machine can access it. If you turn it off you should be fine.
(of course anybody on your network will have access to that as well).

"Michael Price" wrote:

> I have seen the same thing only when copying from the Vista machine.
>
> I would be interested in what the final outcome is.
>
> "MDaniel" <mdaniel@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> news:MPG.1fe7eb5323afc829989689@msnews.microsoft.c om...
> >I have an XP Pro machine with a folder shared with full control for
> > everyone. All other machines, regardless of Windows version, have no
> > problem accessing this share with full control. I've installed Vista
> > Ultimate RTM on two machines and have had the following problem on both:
> >
> > Both Vista machines can read/write/execute files that are in that
> > network share. For example, if its a .pdf, .txt, or .doc, I can double
> > click it from the Vista machines and it opens just fine with the
> > appropriate application. If its an .exe, like the installer for Firefox,
> > it'll launch and install the program. I can also save and delete files
> > and folders on that network share from the Vista machine. So far so
> > good.
> >
> > The problem is with simply trying to copy a file from that share TO the
> > Vista machine. I get an error message titled "Destination Folder Access
> > Denied" that reads "You need permission to perform this action". It
> > doesn't matter where I copy the file to. Desktop, Public, Documents,
> > etc. Same thing. So I can open/execute it, but I can't copy it.
> >
> > This happens on both Vista machines. I have enabled the Public folder on
> > both Vistas and they can copy files to/from each other. And the XP
> > machine can copy to/from the Vistas' Public folders.
> >
> > I am an using the same administrator account on all machines. The
> > problem is the same whether I use Vista's explorer or command prompt.
> >
> > I haven't found much on Google but I did try disabling UAC, firewalls on
> > all machines, and even IE7's Protected Mode without any success.

MDaniel

Re: Vista can't copy files from network share on XPPro
No, the problem is not with network users accessing files on the Vista
machine's shares. I'm using the same admin level accounts on all
machines and that part works fine. The problem is with Vista accessing a
share on an XP machine (which it can do) and then copying a file from
that share to the Vista machine. Reading/writing/executing on the share
work, but simply copying a file to the local (Vista) hard drive fails.

In article <EF5BFDCE-D894-4526-B048-5078E065E1C5@microsoft.com>, Surya64
@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> in the networking and sharing center there is a setting called "Password
> protected Sharing". If you set this to false, then it will start working.
> By default it is set to On so only people with user id and password on the
> destination machine can access it. If you turn it off you should be fine.
> (of course anybody on your network will have access to that as well).
>

> "Michael Price" wrote:
>
> > I have seen the same thing only when copying from the Vista machine.
> >
> > I would be interested in what the final outcome is.
> >
> > "MDaniel" <mdaniel@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> > news:MPG.1fe7eb5323afc829989689@msnews.microsoft.c om...
> > >I have an XP Pro machine with a folder shared with full control for
> > > everyone. All other machines, regardless of Windows version, have no
> > > problem accessing this share with full control. I've installed Vista
> > > Ultimate RTM on two machines and have had the following problem on both:
> > >
> > > Both Vista machines can read/write/execute files that are in that
> > > network share. For example, if its a .pdf, .txt, or .doc, I can double
> > > click it from the Vista machines and it opens just fine with the
> > > appropriate application. If its an .exe, like the installer for Firefox,
> > > it'll launch and install the program. I can also save and delete files
> > > and folders on that network share from the Vista machine. So far so
> > > good.
> > >
> > > The problem is with simply trying to copy a file from that share TO the
> > > Vista machine. I get an error message titled "Destination Folder Access
> > > Denied" that reads "You need permission to perform this action". It
> > > doesn't matter where I copy the file to. Desktop, Public, Documents,
> > > etc. Same thing. So I can open/execute it, but I can't copy it.
> > >
> > > This happens on both Vista machines. I have enabled the Public folder on
> > > both Vistas and they can copy files to/from each other. And the XP
> > > machine can copy to/from the Vistas' Public folders.
> > >
> > > I am an using the same administrator account on all machines. The
> > > problem is the same whether I use Vista's explorer or command prompt.
> > >
> > > I haven't found much on Google but I did try disabling UAC, firewalls on
> > > all machines, and even IE7's Protected Mode without any success.

BVH

Re: Vista can't copy files from network share on XPPro
I''ve got the same problem with a 2003 share... Everything is working fine I
can copy to the share, edit files on the share but the second I try to copy
or move off the share to vista I get the "Destination Folder Access Denied"
"You need permission to perform this action" error.. Kinda sounds to me like
the *Destination Folder* on the Vista machine is the one blocking the copy
the file!

I did find out that if I copy a file from Vista to the share and then copy
it back everything works fine with that one file or folder...

I'm at a total loss I've spent the last 3 nights doing nothing but searching
the web for answers and trying everything I can think of that might affect a
share like this. I really don't understand how more people aren't having
this problem. My business partner is getting the same thing on his home
domain and we get it at our office as well?!

Is anyone else having any problems copying / moving a file from a 2003 or XP
share onto the Vista machine? Did none of you backup your XP workstation or
laptop data on a share and then want to copy it back over after you
installed Vista?

My only guess is there is a common sharing misconfiguration with a hand full
of people and the rest of working fine or that no one actually transfers
files between there computers anymore..

Benjamin VH

"MDaniel" <mdaniel@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
news:MPG.1fe91fbb84adca0c98968a@msnews.microsoft.c om...
> No, the problem is not with network users accessing files on the Vista
> machine's shares. I'm using the same admin level accounts on all
> machines and that part works fine. The problem is with Vista accessing a
> share on an XP machine (which it can do) and then copying a file from
> that share to the Vista machine. Reading/writing/executing on the share
> work, but simply copying a file to the local (Vista) hard drive fails.
>

> In article <EF5BFDCE-D894-4526-B048-5078E065E1C5@microsoft.com>, Surya64
> @discussions.microsoft.com says...
>> in the networking and sharing center there is a setting called "Password
>> protected Sharing". If you set this to false, then it will start
>> working.
>> By default it is set to On so only people with user id and password on
>> the
>> destination machine can access it. If you turn it off you should be
>> fine.
>> (of course anybody on your network will have access to that as well).
>>

>> "Michael Price" wrote:
>>
>> > I have seen the same thing only when copying from the Vista machine.
>> >
>> > I would be interested in what the final outcome is.
>> >
>> > "MDaniel" <mdaniel@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>> > news:MPG.1fe7eb5323afc829989689@msnews.microsoft.c om...

MDaniel

Re: Vista can't copy files from network share on XPPro
Yeah this one's really got me stumped too. I work on other people's PCs
all day long figuring out things like this and I'm drawing zippo on this
one. It seems like it would be a common problem too. You throw Vista on
a spare computer, connect it to the LAN, try to grab a file off a share,
and BOOM: brick wall.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything exotic during Vista's setup.
Its pretty much defaults. I set the workgroup name and username/password
to match my existing LAN, and told Vista that this is my home network.

My wild guess is that is some new security "feature" somewhere that
we're not finding. It reminds me a little of when you download an .exe
file from the Internet with IE6 on XP-SP2 and when you try to run it, it
denies access. Then you have to go into its property sheet and tell it
that its OK. Its like Vista doesn't quite trust the XP/2003 machine over
the network and doesn't want the user, even an admin, to bring over
potentially hazardous files.

In article <5F163897-B66E-4751-BBCC-EFFB148E7C76@microsoft.com>,
bvnahoesen@gmail.com says...
> I''ve got the same problem with a 2003 share... Everything is working fine I
> can copy to the share, edit files on the share but the second I try to copy
> or move off the share to vista I get the "Destination Folder Access Denied"
> "You need permission to perform this action" error.. Kinda sounds to me like
> the *Destination Folder* on the Vista machine is the one blocking the copy
> the file!
>
> I did find out that if I copy a file from Vista to the share and then copy
> it back everything works fine with that one file or folder...
>
> I'm at a total loss I've spent the last 3 nights doing nothing but searching
> the web for answers and trying everything I can think of that might affect a
> share like this. I really don't understand how more people aren't having
> this problem. My business partner is getting the same thing on his home
> domain and we get it at our office as well?!
>
> Is anyone else having any problems copying / moving a file from a 2003 or XP
> share onto the Vista machine? Did none of you backup your XP workstation or
> laptop data on a share and then want to copy it back over after you
> installed Vista?
>
> My only guess is there is a common sharing misconfiguration with a hand full
> of people and the rest of working fine or that no one actually transfers
> files between there computers anymore..
>
> Benjamin VH
>

> "MDaniel" <mdaniel@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> news:MPG.1fe91fbb84adca0c98968a@msnews.microsoft.c om...
> > No, the problem is not with network users accessing files on the Vista
> > machine's shares. I'm using the same admin level accounts on all
> > machines and that part works fine. The problem is with Vista accessing a
> > share on an XP machine (which it can do) and then copying a file from
> > that share to the Vista machine. Reading/writing/executing on the share
> > work, but simply copying a file to the local (Vista) hard drive fails.
> >

> > In article <EF5BFDCE-D894-4526-B048-5078E065E1C5@microsoft.com>, Surya64
> > @discussions.microsoft.com says...
> >> in the networking and sharing center there is a setting called "Password
> >> protected Sharing". If you set this to false, then it will start
> >> working.
> >> By default it is set to On so only people with user id and password on
> >> the
> >> destination machine can access it. If you turn it off you should be
> >> fine.

=?Utf-8?B?SGFycnkgRmxheG1hbg==?=

Re: Vista can't copy files from network share on XPPro
You've got to make sure that the folders, drives and anything else on the
computer you''re trying to share with are set to 'share this folder'.
It's a simple matter of right clicking on the folder you want to share and
select properties, share this folder and you should be there. Do the same
thing on your computer if you want to share your stuff with the other
computer.

Harry

"MDaniel" wrote:

> [...]
> > laptop data on a share and then want to copy it back over after you
> > installed Vista?
> >
> > My only guess is there is a common sharing misconfiguration with a hand full
> > of people and the rest of working fine or that no one actually transfers
> > files between there computers anymore..
> >
> > Benjamin VH
> >

> > "MDaniel" <mdaniel@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> > news:MPG.1fe91fbb84adca0c98968a@msnews.microsoft.c om...
> > > No, the problem is not with network users accessing files on the Vista
> > > machine's shares. I'm using the same admin level accounts on all
> > > machines and that part works fine. The problem is with Vista accessing a
> > > share on an XP machine (which it can do) and then copying a file from
> > > that share to the Vista machine. Reading/writing/executing on the share
> > > work, but simply copying a file to the local (Vista) hard drive fails.

BVH

Re: Vista can't copy files from network share on XPPro
It's not an enabling sharing issue. We're connected FROM Vista *TO* XP /
2003 Server Share. We can see the files, the folders everything is working
great. I can copy to the share and delete stuff.. The second I try to move
something off the XP / 2003 Share onto the Vista share I get you don't have
premissions errors...

"Harry Flaxman" <HarryFlaxman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> > searching
>> > the web for answers and trying everything I can think of that might
>> > affect a
>> > share like this. I really don't understand how more people aren't
>> > having
>> > this problem. My business partner is getting the same thing on his home
>> > domain and we get it at our office as well?!
>> >
>> > Is anyone else having any problems copying / moving a file from a 2003
>> > or XP
>> > share onto the Vista machine? Did none of you backup your XP
>> > workstation or
>> > laptop data on a share and then want to copy it back over after you
>> > installed Vista?
>> >
>> > My only guess is there is a common sharing misconfiguration with a hand
>> > full
>> > of people and the rest of working fine or that no one actually

BVH

Re: Vista can't copy files from network share on XPPro
MDaniel,

I've got some breaking news on this problem! I took my laptop to our
office.. I unjoined it from my home domain as I would rather it not be on
one anyway.. So I'm in a workgroup setup now everything is still bugging out
at home with the shares.

I connect to the office network UNC over to a share off our file server to
test..
Prompted for username and password and poof I'm on..
So far the same as home.
Now I try and copy off something from the share and you know what.. It
worked.. Just copied right over!! I was so happy and pissed off all the same
time!

So with that said I've not had time to look at what's different between the
domains yet.. I will however on Saterday and let you know what I find out..

Benjamn VH

"MDaniel" <mdaniel@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
news:MPG.1fe7eb5323afc829989689@msnews.microsoft.c om...
>I have an XP Pro machine with a folder shared with full control for
> everyone. All other machines, regardless of Windows version, have no
> problem accessing this share with full control. I've installed Vista
> Ultimate RTM on two machines and have had the following problem on both:
>
> Both Vista machines can read/write/execute files that are in that
> network share. For example, if its a .pdf, .txt, or .doc, I can double
> click it from the Vista machines and it opens just fine with the
> appropriate application. If its an .exe, like the installer for Firefox,
> it'll launch and install the program. I can also save and delete files
> and folders on that network share from the Vista machine. So far so
> good.
>
> The problem is with simply trying to copy a file from that share TO the
> Vista machine. I get an error message titled "Destination Folder Access
> Denied" that reads "You need permission to perform this action". It
> doesn't matter where I copy the file to. Desktop, Public, Documents,
> etc. Same thing. So I can open/execute it, but I can't copy it.
>
> This happens on both Vista machines. I have enabled the Public folder on
> both Vistas and they can copy files to/from each other. And the XP
> machine can copy to/from the Vistas' Public folders.
>
> I am an using the same administrator account on all machines. The
> problem is the same whether I use Vista's explorer or command prompt.
>
> I haven't found much on Google but I did try disabling UAC, firewalls on
> all machines, and even IE7's Protected Mode without any success.

MDaniel

Re: Vista can't copy files from network share on XPPro
Just so I understand what you did:

The Vista machine is in workgroup mode as opposed to being a domain
member and you're logged into it locally with credentials that don't
exist on the domain at work. So when you tried to access a share at
work, it prompted you for credentials, and after you entered a name and
password, it worked?

Here's the results of another test I did:

My machines are all in a workgroup, not a domain. Neither has even been
joined to a domain. I've been using the same username/password on both
the XP and Vista machines but for this test, I logged onto Vista using a
name and password that don't exist on the XP machine.

Logged on the Vista with this other name/password, I entered the UNC
name of the XP machine into the address bar and a list of its shares
came up, but I couldn't open any of the shared folders. It didn't ask me
for a name and password. It just said access denied until I granted the
guest account priveleges on this share from the XP machine.

So I went to a command prompt and issed the following:

net use p: \\xp_machine\share_name /user:mike *

It prompted me for mike's password (Mike is my main admin account on the
XP machine) and it created the mapped drive. But I had the same problem
copying files from it as I had before when I was simply logging on to
Vista as Mike. *sigh*

Oh, I also tried right clicking the command prompt and running it as
Administrator. I mapped my xp share to a drive and got the same thing. I
can only copy a file from it if it was created on the Vista machine. So
it doesn't seem to be a permission, UAC, or Explorer issue.

I did some more Google searching and found one hit about someone having
the same problem on Vista x64 but no solution.

Mike

In article <3788B5AF-A8B3-4192-A577-58E27A202856@microsoft.com>,
bvnahoesen@gmail.com says...