Vista as VPN Server?

Peter Meinl

Vista as VPN Server?
I would like be able to remote control my Vista PC using VPN through the
internet.
Can one create dial-in connections in Vista?
If not, will I need Longhorn server for this or is there a 3rd party tool
for Vista?

Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Vista as VPN Server?
"Peter Meinl" <pit@petermeinl.de> wrote in message
>I would like be able to remote control my Vista PC using VPN through the
>internet.
> Can one create dial-in connections in Vista?
> If not, will I need Longhorn server for this or is there a 3rd party tool
> for Vista?

Vista can act as a PPTP VPN server...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...P/PPTPVPN.html

....or you can use Remote Desktop...

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...Remote+Desktop
http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...eshooting.html

Note you can run Remote Desktop through the VPN tunnel. I do that to reach
three PCs on my home LAN. The advantage is you only need to open one hole in
your public firewall.

Vista Help & Support online...

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...S/default.mspx

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

Peter Meinl

Re: Vista as VPN Server?
Thank you, without your assistance I would never have found this.

Without enabling the menu bar in "Manage Network Connections" (which is
hidden under File|Layout) the functionality to configure incoming
connections is invisble. I could not find any information about incoming
connections in Vista help.

> Thank you, without your assistance I would never have found this.
>
> Without enabling the menu bar in "Manage Network Connections" (which is
> hidden under File|Layout) the functionality to configure incoming
> connections is invisble. I could not find any information about incoming
> connections in Vista help.

It should be the same process, ie. create a new incoming connection that is
illustrated on the PPTP VPN server setup page. The difference is you need a
modem installed in order for that option to be displayed in the "How will
people connect" window. At least that is how it works on my Vista desktop
(ie. no modem installed means no option to select a modem for an incoming
connection) while on another Vista test machine with a modem installed I get
the option to select a modem as a dial in incoming connection.
--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

Peter Meinl

Re: Vista as VPN Server?
With your information the configuration went fine for me. I was only
"complaining" about the incoming connection setup being hidden. My PC has a
ISDN card installed.